Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Fashion Flasher

I still haven't gotten back into the rhythm of daily outfit photos, but I have been trying to do a quick partial shot here or there to at least capture the flavor of what I am wearing.  So here are a few flashes of the last week.

IMG_5459

One of the prettiest Gwynnie Bee tops, with a tie-dyed pattern draped cowl that I just adored. I wore this a few times before shipping it back, my favorite being when I wore it on Halloween with this cobalt blazer at work and then with a simple black sweater in the evening to highlight the "spookiness" of the pattern when we took Babyfriend out trick-or-treating. This version was with a short-sleeved royal blue sweater, which worked well with our in-between weather.

IMG_0080

Not an outfit, I just thought that was a clever carving. :)

IMG_0070

I was undecided about this pattern-mixing so I emailed the photo to my girlfriends and my mom. Mom thought it was chic, but my girlfriends were on the fence, not really being fans of pattern-mixing. But I got their replies too late, and I had decided for myself that I liked it so I wore it anyway. And got a surprising number of compliments!

IMG_5489

What made it work for me is that they were all in the same color tone, and because that tone was grey, black and white it allowed for a little more creativity. Plus I just love love love that Target blouse with the buttefly pattern and pussybow. It is the one cheap-fashion shirt I do not regret buying whatsoever.

That said, I tried a more subtle outfit with that jacket later in the week.

IMG_5508

Keeping the necklace grey kept it nicely subtle; there's a lot going on with the jacket trim and zippers, so it doesn't look as good if I contrast with a colored top.

So all that ruckus over trying to find the perfect bag for fall? (None of the booties worked so they were returned too.) I walked into the new Michael Kors store at my mall last Friday and fell in love with The One.

IMG_0101

Medium sized tote, simple and clean, but with just the right details: a lovely chestnut/luggage color in a just-soft-enough leather, contrasting lighter handles, and best of all two side outside pockets where I can slip my phones in and be able to reach them without having to dig under my arm when the bag is on my shoulder.

So far, it is my one purchase for November. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It was already in rotation the next day, and I was ready for the weekend.

IMG_5514

The boots and jacket are October purchases. First is a much-needed casual anorak jacket from Old Navy, with a removable lining and is surprisingly well made. Second are a pair of faux-suede nude booties from Target; I had seen them months ago online but since most Target shoes are crazy uncomfortable I resisted. Saw them on clearance in the store last week and gave them a try. They've been worn all day for several days now and are more comfortable than the $200 Munro ones were.

Sometimes cheap fashion is confusing, you guys. Obviously they won't last 4 winters like my Franco Sarto Deers have, but they're a nice addition for this year.

This is what was under my jacket.

IMG_5511

Usually with a patterned top like this one (Target, of course), I wear a sweater over it to break it up visually. But since it was Saturday I spent most of the day in my jacket anyway running errands, which served the same purpose.

One of those errands? Getting my hair cut and colored. I went a little dark on the color so it matches better with the silvery-greys that are exponentially sprouting up. (That seems counter-intuitive, but it's true.)

This was how it looked on Sunday.

IMG_5521


I went with a Sheila look, a tissue-weight short-sleeved tee over a long-sleeved tee, and added that weird blue-grey jacket I often have trouble working into an outfit. (Told you I was cycling through more unworn items, thanks to the Great Closet Purge.) Comfy and a little tough, I liked it!

IMG_5524

IMG_5526

Lastly, we get to Monday. The flash was in use outside because it was dark out so my hair already looks blonder again. So weird!

IMG_5557


IMG_5550

This other Gwynnie Bee top -- a rich pink cowl neck from Tablots -- breathed new life into this striped cascading cardigan from White House Black Market (remember when we bought this in Vegas, Mom?), black Gap straight legs, and my trusty Naturalizer folded cuff booties.

And that's all I got today! Have a lovely Wednesday, my friends. Off to back-to-back meetings, UGH.

7 comments:

  1. You look great - I really like your pattern mixing and your "rocker" look (thanks for the shout-out, sweetie!).

    I know - fast fashion can be good quality! I'm wearing a gorgeous polyester blouse today...and it's made in China. But I bought it second-hand, so I feel a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pattern mixing is REALLY GOOD. The shirt underneath is just the right size of pattern with the tonal tweed, and the longer length under the shorter jacket is so flattering. Where did that jacket come from? I kind of want it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pattern mixing, and that gray jacket is gorgeous.

    Also? Your hair color is fabulous, dahling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the grey tweed jacket with both blouses although I think it looks better with the black top and grey necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand why you love that MK bag. It's beautiful and your description of it makes it sound very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No problem with that pattern mix. How does the tie-dye cowl look under that jacket? It'd be riskier.

    You did go darker with your hair. Looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where is the jacket from??? I love it!

    ReplyDelete