#1
A pair of Old Navy yoga pants. I have 4-5 of these since they are my at-home lounging pants. This one got a hole on the thigh, so time for them to go!
#2
Old Navy button-down neckless blouse in grey dot pattern. Got it sometime summer/fall 2011 but I rarely wear it. I am too lazy to iron it, and there is just something about the neckline that is very unflattering on me. I have a similar one in deep purple that I am also on the fence about, but it lives another day. For now.
The polka-dot blouse in better days.
Its purple twin that is still around, for now.
#3
Target banded-hem short-sleeve blouse in hot-pink floral pattern, from summer 2012. This is a classic example of my failure in picking tops: I fall in love with a pretty pattern or color, then ignore all the flaws that don't flatter my body. In this case, the banded hem kept riding up my backside every time I sat down, and that horrible wide neck yet again looked terrible on me. (Why do they only make that neckline for plus-size blouses? Do they think our necks are too fat otherwise to get it on?
Phillip took this one. I ripped a hole in it before the day was though, which I did patch and wear one more time before I gave up. Stupif ugly neckline.
#4
I got this necklace from my sister for a jewelry party thing she was doing in 2011. I wish they had shown the whole necklace in the picture instead of just the pendant; those side elements are ugly as sin and make the whole thing look like it came from the 1970s. I tried to make it work but it just irritates me every time I see it hanging with my other necklaces. Time to go!
#5
Extra-long grey pullover sweater from LOFT. I think I might have bought it because it was an XXL but it still fit me, so I kept it to pretend that I was still small enough in size to wear LOFT sizes. But it's too clingy in form -- because it's so long -- so it showed every bump of my waistband in pants or skirts. I give up.
Onto the purchases!
I went on a big shopping trip with a work girlfriend at the very end of September, so even though I started tracking in October, I included everything I bought then too.
I am tracking by store, item, and color. September was setting myself up for fall/winter, adding a bunch of nicer pieces from Nordstrom, and a few needed shoes. October was a lot of neutral basics; outside of the pink fleece lounging top ($6 at Old Navy, and so cozy I am wearing it as we speak), everything is black, white or brown. That is because seeing my closet laid out as it is, it is much harder to kid myself that I need another cheap patterned top that I won't wear enough.
But I needed more pants because Hubby is stretching out how often he does laundry, a couple of white tops because the ones I have are getting ragged, a couple of black and brown cardigans that actually fit over my boobs, a bra replinishment, and a couple of coats (one casual, one work-appropriate) for the chilly in-between weather that we have in November.
I am really trying to curb my shopping, teaching myself to get smarter about it. The last 5 or so years -- since Shopping Friend taught me how to dress myself better, then I discovered YouLookFab and then fashion blogging -- I have bought a TON of clothes. And donated a ton too. Now, I also lost and gained 70+ pounds during that time, which necessitated a lot of those purchases, but still, it's been a whole lot more than what I needed. As you can see above, most of my clothes come from Target, Old Navy and Gap (Nordstrom only when I am buying the better stuff) -- I buy a lot of cheap fashion.
This summer I asked for book recs, and Roberta recommended Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion, which has been a huge eye-opener for me. I want to do a lengthier entry about it soon, but it's really prompted me to look closely at my closet and my shopping habits, which makes this whole transformation for me so timely. I didn't really love the suggestions for improvement the author made (slow fashion with organic material is a very long ways away for most of the public, which means plus-sized will be almost impossible to find), but the concept of moving away from buying pretty-patterned, cheaply-made Target tops is one that I want to embrace now.
So we shall see how my spreadsheet looks as time goes on! And Gwynnie Bee helps with that; instead of buying a top I will only wear once or twice, I am now using the Gwynnie Bee service to rent them. I pay a flat monthly fee, and Gwynnie Bee sends me something from my online "closet" (aka my Netflix queue). I wear it and slip it back into the bag for a fast, free return. Gwynnie Bee now has an option on their website to let them know you are shipping something back, and they will send out your next item immediately instead of waiting until they recieve the package.
In October I was on a 3-items-out package (the 3rd item was an upgrade, thanks to Allie at Wardrobe Oxygen), and I rotated through 11 items. Four were returned unworn because they were too big, but six got worn at least once (and a few had 2-3 wears), and one is still hanging in my closet for this week. Two are in a bag on their way back tomorrow, and I expect to get the next in the queue within the week.
My 2-item plan is $59/month (the basic 1-item is $35/month, and the 3-item is $79). That ended up being $5.36 for each of the 11 items, or $8.42 for each of the 7 items I did wear. If I had bought all 7 items I would have easily spent $150, and I probably would have worn them the same number of times.
Gwynnie Bee is a great way to put the lessons I learned from Overdressed in action, while still giving me the variety and the "whee, new clothes" excitement of cheap-fashion shopping. Plus, the items are better-made than your basic Old Navy top so they're elevating the look of the rest of my wardrobe. Win-win-win all around!
If you are interested in joining Gwynnie Bee, give me your email and I will send you an invite. You don't have to commit to a monthly subscription until you log in and look around the site; if it appeals, give it a try. I am glad so far that I have!
Pink snakeskin draped top from DKNY (Gwynnie Bee) with my black LOFT Outlet cardigan, gray Gap straight legs, and new black studded Vince Camuto flats.
(P.S. I do get a referral rate if I send you an invite. Just so you know.)
I think that outfit at the bottom of your entry is very flattering. You look beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy Lorena's Edit posts too - it's interesting to see the nitty-gritty of purchasing and editing from one's closet.
ReplyDeleteI also read "Over-Dressed" and it's had a very strong impact on me, so much that I'm considering some drastic changes on the shopping front in the future.
Gwynnie Bee sounds cool - I hope it allows you to get more wear out of your wardrobe!
I'd also like to suggest The Vivienne Files (http://theviviennefiles.blogspot.com/) as a resource for developing a wardrobe that works for you without being voluminous. I just started reading her blog a month or so ago so don't know all the ins and outs, but it's been eye-opening for me to see how many outfits you can get out of a basic wardrobe just by accessorizng well. I've made a spreadsheet of my existing items and started filling in with some well-thought-out items while getting rid of all the pieces that don't fit or look good on me. It's much easier to resist the online sales or at least choose wisely if you know that your chosen colors for the season are, for example, black + grey + cream + teal + burgundy. Don't need or want orange, brown, green, yellow, pink, etc., no matter how low the price is. (This is just my example - the blog shows ideas for basic wardrobes with various accent colors of your choosing). It's a whole new world for me.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting post/perspective, Kristen. I have to resist my natural instinct, which is to immediately go to the brightly colored floral tops...and yes, the cheap ones at that. I'm working very hard at not buying something just because it's a good deal - my "must love it" mantra is helping with that. The book sounds really interesting and I'm going to check it out.
ReplyDeleteAs for the Netflix of clothing, I think it's an interesting concept for fashion mavens like you, and a great way to keep your wardrobe fresh.
I just bought one of those banded tops after seeing it in another blog. I hope it doesn't have the ride-up problem. Open necklines are an issue with me because I have a small chest and they hang there, highlighting the fact that nothing is there!
ReplyDeletePersonally I'd have hung onto that ON tan/blue top. It's totally early Spring to me, but if you are a non-ironer I can understand.
I really think documenting your giveaways is valuable. We all know a succesful wardrobe addition because we see it, constantly. The duds don't get the same review. I have stores where everything I buy there seems to be a non-starter. Sometimes it's because the store is so attractive, other times because of the mood I'm in when I arrive ther. I had a string of Dr. appointments one time and I always stopped and shopped a bit after, nothing I bought ever was right. I was just in a mode to baby myself after the Doc.
The DKNY top is cute.
I just put the Overdressed book on reserve at my library. Thanks for the recommendation! It's sad to see how many things still hang in my closet unworn for some reason or other (usually fit). How very smart to track wardrobe spending like that!
ReplyDeleteWell thank you for the shout out :)
ReplyDeleteThis month you edited 5 items, i think i did about 8 - so we 're almost the same.
You know I have gotten to a point where if the month is coming to an end and i have not edited anything, I will actually look for something to let go.
Now, i am amazed at your organization skills!! EXCEL for keeping track of purchases ??
I kinda do it manually.