Of course, they don't all work -- at least not when I look at the photos sometimes -- but that too helps further hone my closet.
I liked the idea of this -- two versions of grey with a cobalt blue tee and a scarf for visual interest -- and for the most part it worked. But it's one that when I look at the photo, I realized it didn't. I think it's finally time to concede defeat on these dark grey Gap straight legs; there is just something about the fabric or the color that makes it look frumpy and dated, like they were black and now have faded to this grey. It drives me nuts!
This I liked a little better, even though it is just a whole lot of black. I have two of these "blogger" necklaces, but this cobalt blue one gets almost no wear. (Maybe I should have gotten it in red instead.) I don't have a lot of good contrasting colors for it, so it really only work against black or white. I thought it worked pretty well here, playing on that idea with a patterned B&W tank from Target, black cascading cardigan, and my trusty black Gap modern bootcuts.
This one, from yesterday, was Goldilocks approved, as it was just right.
Also lots of black but it doesn't feel that way. The purple skirt and knit jacket are two purchases from the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale that I have been waiting to wear (patiently, for months!!) and it is finally cold enough to do so. See how the turquoise bloger necklace works just so much better than the cobalt one does? I think it might be just a more flattering color for me.
The top is from Gwynnie Bee, and it might just be the best one I have gotten from them yet. It's a simple INC black knit long sleeve top, but it fits and drapes PERFECTLY. It is the Holy Grail of black tops. I am taking it to Macys tomorrow to see if they still have any in stock; I need to own this to complete so many other looks. Assets tights and my Franco Sarto Deer shooties finish the look.
I had my doubts about that skirt, but now that it is cold enough to wear, I expect it is going to get lots of mileage. It's the first skirt or dress that I have had in a long while that looks good on my dupa.
Coincidentally, I got a couple of questions about that leather-trimmed tweed jacket from my last post; it was also from the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale (and is out of stock now, sorry). It in fact inspired the color combo of this outfit. I may try the skirt and necklace again with the jacket next time!
If you are interested in Gwynnie Bee, anytime during the month of November, you can sign up for a free 30-day trial. Leave me your email (or email it to me) and I will send you an invite. I really cannot speak more highly of this service. It's rejuvenating my closet!

I especially love the purple skirt outfit - very sharp! I tried to find the top at Macys.com. Is it a ribbed top?
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to find two solid shades of gray that look good together. I've had the same problem and have finally given up. I love charcoal pants and wear them with just about any other color top besides grey.
Thanks, Marcy. No, the top is just your basic flat knit. The neckline has a bit of a drape but not excessive. I am taking it to Macys this weekend to see if the salesperson can help me find it.
DeleteI love that purple skirt - so cute!
ReplyDeleteThanks Sheila!
DeleteI loooooove the purple skirt outfit! Beautiful.
ReplyDelete(I also have the leather trimmed jacket!)
Ha, I bet you rock that jacket! I can totally see it on you.
DeleteNot shopping does feel pretty good for a while, especially if you don't have any huge holes in your wardrobe, which it seems like you don't. Hope you can keep enjoying what you have!
ReplyDeleteThere is a lot of black here, but it's getting cold so I think it creeps into everyone's wardrobes a bit. And it's not so noticeable because you're still punching it up with color! I love the purple/turquoise combo in the last outfit! Wouldn't have put it together myself, but they do look really great together. And is that purple skirt ponte?
Thanks, Anne. I haven't stopped shopping completely, but I don't feel that need to wander through all my favorite stores and fill up my online cart. :)
DeleteThe skirt is a heavier stretch wool, not ponte. That's why it didn't work until this colder weather arrived.
The purple skirt outfit is very flattering on you. Love the richness of the purple. I do like your top outfit too. I don't think the pants look frumpy at all, but I do know what you mean; if something isn't just right, no use in fighting it.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to be doing a closet purge and shopping ban too. I think it will liberate my wardrobe.
I heartily encourage a closet purge, but like I said to Anne above, I am not on shopping ban. I am just shopping more discriminately. :)
Deleteive done a bit of a purge on my closet as well, which has actually forced me to do some shopping -- but like you, im being MUCH more particular with my purchases. dare i say it, i think i have FINALLY made the switch from being a quantity-lover to a quality-lover. im trying to shop within an aesthetic, and while there are some pieces i like, if they dont fit the style i want to portray, they dont come home with me. i still have some closet-purging to go, but a girls gotta have SOME clothes! :)
ReplyDeleteNice! The urge to buy a cheap top is still strong with me, but so far I have limited it to one/trip instead of 3. :)
DeleteI think of that blue (cobalt) in the necklace you're having trouble with as more of a summer color - maybe that's why it's not feeling right to you?
ReplyDeleteI'm on board with loving the purple and turquoise together - just makes me smile.
Ohhh, a summer color...that may be the problem! Good thinking.
DeleteYes, the Goldilocks outfit gets my vote too. Nice!
ReplyDeleteI thought Gwynnie Bee would allow you to purchase something that is a winner. ? Im surprised!
You hosting Thanksgiving this year? (I forget...)
Chrissy
Yes, you can buy items from Gwynnie Bee; I just got the price on the black top, and I am considering getting it!
DeleteCoincidentally, I just posted my Thanksgiving shopping entry. :) Yes, I am hosting, hurray!
Wow - the purple skirt outfit is definitely a Keeper! I think you look great in it.
ReplyDeleteThank you, I am enjoying it too.
DeleteGreat outfits. You're proving that we don't need to shop more, we just need to dress smarter. These ensembles work nicely.
ReplyDelete"Dress smarter", I like that. I am certainly trying these days!
Delete