Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Fall Style: Blazers and pants

I may have mentioned in my Closet Purge post that I am wearing a lot of blazers and suit-like outfits these days; mostly it's due to having so many meetings these days at work, but blazers are also an easy cop-out on weekends to having to buy more fall jackets.

This is what I wore yesterday:

IMG_5328

Pretty much everything is from Gap or Old Navy. The cobalt blazer is this one, the pants are the modern bootcuts, and the button-down is actually this military style jersey. I've decided I like this better than a stiffer cotton button-down, which tends to square my torso off in terrible ways.

But the parts of this outfit that make it interesting, IMO, are the necklace and the shoes. The necklace is what Gracie over at Fashion for Giants teasingly (and affectionately) calls the "blogger necklace", the colorful statement style that has definitely been making the rounds on many blogs. I picked two of them up as part of a Groopz deal that Kimberly from Fab Finds under $50 linked to a while back, and I've been wearing both all summer, and getting many real-life compliments on them. Even though the turquoise is a summer color, I used the inspiration from a Nordstrom display to wear it for fall too.

IMG_5327

IMG_0029
(Next time, I am going to try it with my trusty striped blazer.)

The other item of note are my flats. I have been thoroughly unimpressed with the shoes out for this fall; I've bought many and returned just about all of them, only keeping one pair of black studded flats so far. But these flats have been sitting in my closet for a few years now, an impulse purchase from the Ann Taylor Factory outlet, picked up for about $10. They've been mostly unworn because their style hasn't quite fit with my dress obsession or any casual looks on the weekends. But since hurting my back last week I've been wearing mostly flats with shorter-length pants, so I pulled them out and gave them a try. Good thing I didn't purge them; they look professional and cute with my new blazers look.

IMG_5332

All in all, I thought this worked well for the season. I was actually one of the better dressed people at my meeting!

IMG_5329

(Our new fish doormat says hello. A birthday gift from my parents to my fisherman-husband, heehee.)

5 comments:

  1. I think you look terrific, even the necklace is somehow just right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a version of that necklace in person around town and I always think of bloggers when I see it! Looks great with that outfit - I love the color of the shoes with the pants. Very chic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to seeing you post outfits again. You make my day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely adore this look! Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome outfit and awesome fish mat!

    ReplyDelete