Add to that I am not at a weight I feel comfortable in, my hair is a disaster, and I am watching all the current trends with a horrified eye (is the fur vest thing over yet? god, emerald green, really? why are all the Nordstrom blouses for plus sizes shaped like muumuu's? when is the uniform of skinny pants/short sparkly tops/megahigh platform heels going to go away, so we can stop looking like hookers?), and I lost my favorite indoor corner for outfit shots (Hubby hung a shoe container on the back of the office door), and I've got myself a soupcon of self-pitying disinterest in fashion. I've mentioned before, I really am just repeating the same boring outfits over and over. It occurred to me the other day that my shopping has decreased significantly. I used to go pretty much every weekend, returning things I bought online through the week, making the rounds of my favorite stores, etc. Now if I go once a month it's a big deal. I never thought my passion for fashion would change THAT much!
My buddy Sheila at Ephemera just kicked off this year-long challenge, where each month she chooses 30 pieces that she will wear for the whole month. Sheila is an extremely creative woman who loves variety and has an amazing closet and lifestyle to go with all of her outfits, so I'm looking forward to seeing how her creativity comes to life when she limits her options. Her decision also got me thinking about my current outfit rotation; when I first read it I thought, well I kind of am already doing that. I used to think when I started blogging that I would hate that; I tried a couple of remix challenges where I wore 10 pieces for a week, or 30 pieces for a month, and it did not work for me. I loved having a big closet with tons of options, I loved wearing all my sweet dresses, and ultimately I chafed under the restrictions, and was pretty resentful of the whole project by the time I finished.
But it struck me that maybe bloggers do have the better attitude about it than I do; instead of calling it "wear the same boring clothes over and over" they call it "remixing". Or they set up challenges for themselves to see how many or few items they can remix over a period of time. Or other bloggers pride themselves on creating a "small closet" with pieces they can easily mix and match together.
So I'm creating a challenge for myself. My intention is not to voluntarily limit anything I wear; I know myself well enough to know that as soon as I say, "I can't wear that", I will desperately want to wear it. What I want to do is track and document how many times I really do wear all of my clothes. It's a challenge to myself to pay attention to what I am wearing again, to keep track on a spreadsheet of repeated items, to take a picture every day again.
I'm not going to be embarrassed that I'm repeating the same items, I'm just gonna wear my clothes like a normal person. I've had this blog for almost three years now, and I think I've gotten caught up in the fashion-blogosphere idea that unless I am constantly reinventing my style or wearing clothes in a creative, fresh way, it's not worth blogging about. That's stinkin' thinkin', as Stuart Smalley would say, and it's time to stop.
I've built my spreadsheet, and I took my first photo yesterday.
Bobeau teal cardigan, Gap polka-dot blouse, Gap Real Straight pants, Naturalizer cuffed booties, BR pewter lariat necklace. I anticipate all of these to have many little x's as the weeks progress.
I'm keeping track by item to see how many times I repeat. There are no rules about limiting new items, or the number of times I can wear anything, etc. I'm just getting dressed every morning in whatever fits/is clean/is appropriate for my day/I feel like wearing, and I will take a picture and track it on the spreadsheet. I can't guarantee I will post it every day, but I will post as often as I can.
All I need now is a catchy name for my challenge.
Dress Like A Normal Person challenge?
You're Wearing That Again? challenge?
Rethinking Remixing challenge?
Fashionstyle challenge?
Hmm. Any suggestions?
P.S. Thank you Anonymous, for getting me thinking about fashion again. But I should warn you, there will still be plenty of food and foodstyle posts. :)
I love the title "Dress Like a Normal Person"....I am like you...I go to the closet and see what is clean and what kind of day it is going to be! I think it is going to be fun to see your posts. Also, I enjoy your food interests too...I am getting some great ideas from you!
ReplyDeleteI really like when you blog about food too. You've got me hooked on roasted brussel sprouts and I never used to eat them! I will always love your outfit posts, but when you blog about food, that's ok too. Even though I don't know you personally, I feel like I do know you and am interested in what you are doing. I too struggle with weight issues and it always helps to have someone to "look to" for advise. Keep on doing what you are doing! I love it and I'd miss you if you'd leave! Oh and "Dress like a Normal Person" is a cool title!
ReplyDeleteA third vote for "Dress Like a Normal Person"! I read the fashion blogs of women who are like me in some way, not those of rich, skinny twentysomethings who are obsessed with designer clothing, because I am a normal person and am looking for some inspiration: new color combinations, new silhouettes, new ways of wearing things I already have. A thank-you to you for providing that!
ReplyDeleteNo worries :)
ReplyDeleteFor many of the same reasons you've listed, my blog is more focused lately on thrift store finds BESIDES clothes. My main reason is that I (too) gained weight and am too stubborn to go shopping at this weight. I have a complete wardrobe waiting to be worn in my closet!
I'm doing a little fashion challenge for myself, just to be more creative. I'm trying to wear a different outfit, every day for a year. Of course, I can wear the same pieces, but I must wear them in different ways. This stops me from wearing the same black dress, tights and heels with the same purple cardigan to work every other Monday when I'm too tired to pick anything out of the closet.
ReplyDeleteI have a spreadsheet I update every day (well, every day I work and if I leave the house for more than the gym on the weekends) with everything I've worn. So far, I've worn a different outfit for about 32 days. It can be a little challenging in the mornings, but it's a good exercise in shopping your closet.
I like your blog BECAUSE it's not limited to one topic, and your foodstyle posts are really motivating. You make me want to try new-to-me things like, I don't know, roasting carrots by themselves, not just as accessories to a big ol' slab of beef.
ReplyDeleteAs to your new style challenge, I have no ideas for a witty name (insert coffee here). Something like "Remix/Rethink" (based on your idea) might be catchy?
Whatever you decide, I'll be following along!
Oh, one more thing - I miss Emily! What's she been up to these days?
As one who has to shop the plus sized department of horrors in our local stores I can assure you food and fashion are definitely related in my life. :-)
ReplyDeleteI enjoy your blog because you are "real."
I need this challenge as well. You inspired me to quit wearing black all.the.time. I have begun to do that again.
ReplyDeleteYou can blog about whatever, and I'll always read it. :)
ReplyDeleteA few thoughts on the clothes thing...first, I get a little intimidated by bloggers who are constantly buying new clothes. I tend to keep my things for a long time (probably too long in some cases), and I DO wear the same stuff over and over. However, I'd love to see how someone like you, who has such a creative fashion eye, deals with wearing (mostly) the same pieces in different ways. I said mostly because hey - we all love a good shopping trip, right? I go through phases with clothes shopping - I've barely bought anything for months now (and like you, that could be because of some body dissatisfaction). Plus I'm really trying to only buy what I love, and not just because something is a good deal.
Any case, I think this sounds like a great creative outlet for you and I look forward to seeing (and copying, haha) what you wear!
I LOVE your food posts!! I brought a laptop lunchbox and one of those Zori thermos lunchbox thingys on your recommendation and I LOVE them!
ReplyDeleteI love your style because you're not "trendy" but you wear stuff I would wear!!
Dress like a normal person sounds great!
(Thank God I am not alone in loathing the fur trend. Yuck.)
ReplyDeleteI am a fan of the "dress like a normal person" challenge. I kind of feel like, maybe since I am at home now, I should do the same thing. I have TOO MUCH STUFF and need to quit buying.
Well, I just love when you post, PERIOD. Keep em' coming! :)
ReplyDeleteI don't buy lots of clothes because I have a limited budget for clothing - and it's that way no matter my size. For example, I buy 5-7 pairs of slacks and a few shirts and sweaters and wear them over and over and OVER again all winter long. It's just what I have to do financially. Sometimes I get discouraged because I work with some people who, I swear could wear a different outfit every day for a month and not recycle anything. Then other times I think there are probably a lot of people who have to do what I do.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Shelley - I enjoy your blog whatever you write about and I also love watching how you mix and match your favorite pieces.
I love your blog no matter what! Kristen, you're awesome - thank you for the shout-out.
ReplyDeleteI like Rethink/Remix - I am doing this challenge because I feel like I've gotten away from the type of wardrobe I used to have: a few items that I wore a lot in creative ways. I'm hoping to enjoy my clothes more.
I love your foodstyle and cooking posts. As someone who knew you when you moved to Chicago and could only cook Kraft Mac and Cheese from a box (and not always successfully), it's been amazing watching you evolve from an "enjoyer" of someone else's cooking to an expert of your own creations.
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of a challenge to think about your outfits again. I like any of the titles, pick the one that you remember without looking back at your choices.
I also have some ideas for other "challenges" you could do. What if you tracked your outfits for a week and then tried to use the same pieces again a different week in a different way? Sort of like a Remix Week.
Or you could do fashion retrospectives (check out the Top 10 shapecollage.com things on acadmichic- which is ending) or your top 10 scarves, belts, pants, dresses, whatever.
Or you could do a shapecollage of how many ways I have worn a favorite skirt, pants, dress, necklace or whatever. Celebrate the repeats instead of bemoaning them.
Or what if for a month you analyzed the outfit for how you are using color and try to do all neutral outfits, one color with neutrals, two analogous colors, two complementary colors or whatever. It might make wearing the same things more interesting or even make you think about adding another color.
IDK, just some thoughts.
(is the fur vest thing over yet? god, emerald green, really? why are all the Nordstrom blouses for plus sizes shaped like muumuu's? when is the uniform of skinny pants/short sparkly tops/megahigh platform heels going to go away, so we can stop looking like hookers?) THIS CRACKED ME UP!!!!
ReplyDeleteI teach middle school and I am really ready for the SAGGING PANTS days to be over!!!! I digress... I read about someone doing some de-cluttering in their closet, and on Jan. 1 they turned all the hangers the wrong way and as they wear something they turn the hanger the correct way. This has been interesting for me to see how few of my clothes I actually wear. I wasn't sure how to handle the folding clothes and I'm not dedicated enough to do the spreadsheet. Okay I'm rambling, but I just wanted to say that I love your blog and I truly appreciate the time you have to devote to it when you could be hanging out on the couch. Have a great weekend!
Let me be the tenth person to say I love your blog whatever you choose to write about, and also, whenever something becomes a chore or "like work", it's time to take a break. Approach fashion in a way that feels fun for you, or stop thinking about it entirely for a while. I like to see your smiling face, but I'm just as happy to see what you made for dinner, or beautiful photos you took on vacation, or even hear what's on your mind with no pictures at all.
ReplyDeleteGreat outfit yesterday! I have that same cardigan...
ReplyDeleteI love to see your outfits and think you have excellent style. You look good at any weight. Style is not a number!
I am using a spreadsheet to track how often I wear my clothes and have been doing it since the beginning of 2011. I am also using the "hanger method" which Kim mentioned above. Both have been extremely helpful and enlightening!
One thing that has helped me is to add tags to all of my hangers (I loop the tag string through the handle of the hanger) and put an X on the tag each time I wear something. That way, I didn't have to update the spreadsheet daily AND I could see how often I had worn an item while standing in front of my closet.
Last year, I challenged myself to wear EVERYTHING in my closet (I have a lot of clothes but am paring down) at least once and often many times. This year, I am doing what you're doing and just wearing what I am drawn to. That way, I will get a much better sense of what I love, what I don't love so much, what I should buy more of, and what I should NOT buy more of!
The "spreadsheet, hanger, and tag method" has greatly improved my shopping method and I am making much better choices. What also helped was the 3 Ps philosophy mentioned by Angie of You Look Fab. She encouraged her readers to be Picky, Practical, and Patient when shopping (wait for what you really want/need and only buy what works for your lifestyle and personal sense of style).
Hope my tips are helpful... I wish you and all of your readers a great weekend!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHow about?
ReplyDeleteOoops, I wore that Again! Lol
Hello..
ReplyDeleteLove the suggestion..above.."Oops...I wore that..."
I enjoy your blog and hope you hang in there!. I also really love the food posts, which have inspired me to eat healthier and try to pack better lunches for school/work.
Keep up the great blogs!
"Dress like a Normal Person" is fine with me.
ReplyDeleteI remember when you bailed on the re-mix. I would too!
I think it's ironic that as the mix of your posts have shifted over the past few months that you've gotten your diet under control. Could it be that more focus on food and less on your appearance results in a healthier lifestyle for you?
It's been helpful to me :) I've lost 2 pounds! Since I was 5 pounds over my goal that's a major achievement as the closer you get to your goal the slower they come off.
IMO it's kind of a dead fashion time right now anyway. We're better off gazing at roasted carrots and sprouts and tweaking out diets.
I went through a similar period with my blog last year, where I really didn't feel like posting pictures of outfits. I feel like I've come out of that period now, but I've also accepted that fact that my interests and focuses change, waxing and waning at different times, and that that's okay. Personally, I think bloggers are at their best when they write about what's really interesting them at the moment, rather than forcing themselves to stick to one niche.
ReplyDeleteKristen I think this is a most excellent idea. I also feel like taking a step back and relaxing into my style!
ReplyDeleteWearing clothes like a regular person - what a novel idea! When I stepped back from style blogging, I was pretty relieved to be able to do that again. For a while before I started, I had "outfits" in my closet, and it was great to have those to fall back on. so now I think my style is somewhere between trying to remix things in my closet, and being really lazy in the morning and picking a go-to outfit.
ReplyDeleteAnd we seem to have some similar interests, so I love reading whatever you write about - food, fashion, shopping, whatever!
I like your food posts. In fact I have the broccoli cakes on my to do list :)
ReplyDeleteI think you can do this challenge !
"Kristen's Kloset " - i did something similar a while back. I emptied out my closet and only put back what I wore and that way I made myself wear it all and got rid of some stuff on the way.