For example, going with an all-white look on top.
Black Gap straight leg pants, brown peeptoe Clark shooties, white Loft tee and white Loft Outlet cascading cardigan.
What really made this work for me was the chunky smoky necklace. Can't believe it has lasted this long; I bought it at Loft a few years ago, and removed almost all of the extra crap on it so it is just the stones and gold.
I also have been scooping up as many summer blouses as I can find. My friend J and I bought this same pink-and-orange sheer blouse from Loft Outlet last month. I debated keeping it, but I just love the colors too much to give it up!
That is my Rebecca Minkoff bag that has been getting a tremendous workout since I got it in April. I've switched out to clutches or a casual crossbody on weekends, but the Minkoff is definitely my everyday bag this year. Love it.
(Mental note: watch that it doesn't buckle funny around my waist and make me look larger than I am.)
I am also in love with my Donald J Pliner bronze sandals (as seen in above shot). I got them last year at Nordstrom Rack; Hubby and I had gone downtown to celebrate our anniversary, and it was so abnormally hot (it was October, for cryin' out loud) I frantically picked them up on Michigan Avenue off-season. Now that the braid has softened and broken in, they are crazy comfortable, and I just adore their chunky chunkiness.
Another summer look I have been embracing is the striped blazer. I love the one I got from Lands End (on sale now in stores!) and have been wearing it at least once a week. It's great in a business casual office; we're supposed to be in business attire when we go to meetings but no one else in our new company does the same. So I often throw this on over a dressy top and pants and look more professionally dressed than anyone else in the room.
This outfit is more business casual.
(Yes, that is me taking a photo in my mirror. Horrors! But I really like this outfit and wasn't sure if I could get outside in time to get a shot.) I like that this is also kind of monochromatic: grey Gap straight pants, pale blue Loft tee, and navy striped blazer. The silver-gold pendant necklace added to the casual vibe, and the orange Clarks sandals gave it a contrasting pop of color.
Oh, hahahaha, right I did get outside but it was kind of a disaster. Very windy!
I perservered and got one good shot.
This outfit is remarkable only because I got busted by the neighbor just as the timer started going off. As evidenced by my panicked expression and fast approach to the camera. LOL!
Target top and aqua cardigan. I think I will try this one again with my new WHITE PANTS.
Gap finally made my beloved modern bootcuts in white. I snapped those babies up the moment I saw them. Wooohoooo! I haven't owned white pants in years; it's so hard to find the right ones, that aren't too sheer or too tight or too cheap. I definitely like these!
The top is also Loft from last year (boy, I did not realize how many of those I have!!) and I've never quite been able to find the right bottom to bring out the lovely snakeskin print of it. Now I realize it just needed some white pants. :)
You may have noticed in several of the above shots that I have a lot of bracelets on. I tend to wear them more in the summer, which is kind of counter-intuitive. They get warm on the arm in hot weather -- but in cold weather, I'm more bundled up and the metal gets too cold!
This was just this Friday. A hot pink Old Navy top, new navy Gap modern bootcuts, olive wedge Clark sandals, an arm of bracelets, and a new long silver pendant necklace I picked up at Loft Outlet on my shopping trip with J. (See what I mean about needing the pendant to be longer than the boob shelf, J? This way it doesn't bounce when I walk.)
I also tried Angie's suggestion of half-tucking the top, and I think I liked it.
Heh, and here is a perfect example of the striped blazer raising the level of the outfit. It was too hot to put on outside, but I sure wore it for my meeting that day!
So that is what I have been wearing so far this summer. Does it spark any ideas for you? Any suggestions you have for me?
Heh, now that I am looking at this, I also realize it is time to look at my calendar. Methinks I am due for a haircut!
You have some really pretty looks here. I think the black pants/white top, the white pants/navy top and the black and pink/magenta top are especially flattering!
ReplyDeleteThe white pants are a great fit & with the blue top - what a classy outfit! Likewise the hot pink top with black. That 1/2 tucked in look works!
ReplyDeleteThe first outfit with the white top looks very Summery. The necklace is attractive. The other outfits are cute, too; color is always nice.
ReplyDeleteI adore the blue top/white pants outfit. I'm going to have to see about finding those pants - not too sheer, too tight or too cheap is a high recommendation in my book!!
ReplyDeleteLOVE the cascading cardigan on you!!!
ReplyDeleteand yeah. covet the bracelets.
youll have that :)
Hey Kristen! Had to drop in to say hello - it's been too too long! Loving the snakeskin print top with the white pants, and the last outfit with the half tuck. Well done!! Another hot week ahead, stay cool, my friend! xoxo
ReplyDeleteYou're looking gorgeous, Kristin! I love the white pants and the way the blazer elevates all your outfits!
ReplyDeleteI like your longer hair. Maybe just a bangs trim?
ReplyDeleteThe white pants with the blue top is terrific on you! You look cool, comfortable and slim. Great combo!
ReplyDeleteNice gold sandals! Any tips for getting through the period when sandal leather is too tough? I generally never make it through the "breaking in" part and never wear the shoes again:(
ReplyDeleteYou have so many outfits here that i like, that white top with that great necklace is gorgeous and i think you wear the white pants so well :)
ReplyDeleteI see that this is the striped blazer you were saying you are wearing the most... i have a similar one that should get more wear. I think it's a great piece to go to.