Maybe it's the return to layering weather, but I have been feeling inspired lately as I get dressed. Just before I get in the shower, I stack a couple of outfit options together -- dress and a necklace, these skinny pants and a top, that olive Gap jacket I haven't worn in a while -- and while I am getting ready, I ponder what other elements will complete the outfit. Sometimes my ideas work out, sometimes they don't. But because I have everything visible in my closet, if it doesn't work out I have an alternative right in front of me.
Take Tuesday's outfit. I knew I wanted to wear the skinny pants and a longer blouse-top. This Gap blouse (a replacement for my still-mourned LOFT polka-dot top) doesn't get enough wear, but it should. There was something about the volume of the top that wasn't working this time, so I added my new patent belt from Nordstrom (to go with my new dress that is out getting altered). The new Old Navy sweater in coral (haha, another replacement for that awesome melon/coral Banana Republic sweater I wore down to the pilly nub) was just what I needed to stay warm as the temps went up and down the scale today. The glittery statement necklace (from LOFT) and my Sam Edelman embellished cheetah print flats were the final Fall 2011 Trend items that completed the outfit.
It all came together remarkably fast, for me. :) Of course I have probably just jinxed myself and I'll be late for work getting ready today! LOL.
++++++
Daily Food Tracker: Tuesday
Breakfast: yogurt, berries, fiber one cereal
Lunch: shrimp po' boy, fries
Dinner: 2 Coney hotdogs on wheat bun with Hormel chili, broccoli slaw, wine
Snack: english toffee ice cream bar
++++++
Let's talk about the buzz of the internet for a minute: the grand opening (and closing) of the Missoni collection at Target.
Like I said yesterday morning, when I went online at 5:30am, everything that I had had my eye on (that awesome throw, the glass bowls, and the long cardigans) were already sold out. I put a couple of other items in my shopping cart, but it was nothing I had my heart set on, so I didn't buy them. I logged off, updated my blog, and went to work.
Little did I know the chaos that then erupted. The stores were reporting lines when they opened up, and people were buying everything they could lay their hands on. My own local store even got a mention in the Chicago Trib. Demand was so high the website crashed.
Unaware of this, I stopped at two different stores in my area, the first of which I assumed would have plenty of stuff because the clientele isn't that fashion-forward. Both stores were totally cleaned out.
Store#1's sad shoe display. I'm surprised the hordes actually left the shoe boxes.
Store #2's shoes. They tried filling it in with their regular shoes, like anyone wanted those today.
The only piece of clothing I could find, a lone x-small sweater hanging sadly on a cleaned-out rack. There was a black dress there too but someone came along and took it before I could take the picture.
This was all I could find of anything Missoni at the second store: a dozen plates, some bowls, and 4 glasses. And there were two little old ladies picking over them anyway.
I'm not going to lie, I am sorely disappointed everything's gone. I really was looking forward to buying several items for my house; we're starting to think about redecorating, and I had my eye on a few that I knew would be good items to use as base pieces. That plan is now trashed, so I am going to start using Pinterest to collect ideas for redecorating instead. Can anyone send me an invite?
And excuse my language, but I have no intention of buying any Missoni pieces from any of the assholes who cleaned out the stores to sell it on Ebay. Seriously, they're assholes, and they ruined a lot of shopping fun for a lot of people. If anything, I'd rather save up and buy a real Missoni piece before I would buy anything from those jerks.
Totally agree with you about the assholes who cleaned out the stores for resale purposes. I went to EBay last night, just because I was curious, and items were selling for 3-4 times the MSRP (maybe even more now). And people were lining up to buy them! There were dozens of bidders per item. Ridiculous! It's not like it's REAL Missoni - they're cheaply made knockoffs, which is great, but only when they're actually sold for what they're worth.
ReplyDeleteUgh. Rant over.
OK, so you've hit on MY BIGGEST GRIPE about Target. I get so sick and tired of trying to find things only to find they've been bought out. Annoying.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I love your outfit :D
Yes, for what these pieces are selling on ebay, you can get a genuine Missoni!
ReplyDeleteI sent you an invite from pinterest. Happy pinning!
(1) that salmon/coral color is divine with your skin tone.
ReplyDelete(2) if you still need a Pinterest invitation, shoot me your email address.
(3) i figure (and am hoping) that most of the die-hard people got what they wanted on this first go-around and that the stores will restock. i was able to find plenty of the other collections after a few weeks. i dont NEED any of the missoni stuff, but i did see a few pieces i wouldnt mind having if the price and size were right...
I managed to buy a couple of cardigans online with no fuss at 6 a.m. yesterday (I had no chance of getting to the store, even the one right by work -- I knew it was going to be a killer long day and then teaching belly dance at night). Little did I know I'd be able to sell those two cardigans for enough to buy a Boden leather coat :-\
ReplyDeleteSeriously, people -- even if they have Missoni stripes they are Target rayon/cotton cardigans that aren't going to last you more than a year or so.
I was able to get three of the things I wanted (online) eventually. there are over 25,000 Missoni for Target items available on eBay this morning, which makes me throw up in my mouth a little. As the kids would say. :-)
ReplyDeleteKristen, I would have totally taken the empty shoe boxes - they're so cute!
I heard that Target will be restocking the Missoni line. I'm disappointed with the human race around all this. It's just STUFF people!
ReplyDeleteThat Missoni mania was insane. Reminds me of the Cabbage Patch craze. People are insane!!!
ReplyDeleteThat said, the stuff is fun, and I'd probably pick up a piece AT TARGET, for the NORMAL PRICE. Screw all those ebay sellers.
P.S. I love your outfit today.
That coral colour is wonderful on you. I love that you're doing leopard flats with it. Fab!
ReplyDeleteI think I heard vaguely about this. We don't have Target in Canada (yet!), but wow, that's just crazy that the Missoni went so fast!
Totally agree with you on the Missoni jerks! Ugh!!!
ReplyDeleteAre those the Gap skinny pants? I seem to be in-between sizes in those and can't et a good fit. Uber frustrating. I bought a size up online and they're too big... but the size in-store is too tight. :(
This outfit is amazing!
ReplyDeleteNow, this Missoni situation is something else. I understand your frustration. And, who leaves the boxes? Odd...
Yeah, Target needs to heavily stock up on these designer lines so the ebay shmucks aren't the ones who profit.
ReplyDeleteOh, and your outfit is SO CUTE! Love love loveth! The colors, the print, the silhouette--they are all perfection!
I seriously adore this outfit! That coral color is magnificent on you! The Gap top absolutely reminds me of that Loft polka dot top (the one I coveted and could never seem to locate in my size) - hopefully it holds up better though, huh?
ReplyDeleteI agree with you.
ReplyDeleteI hope those who went and bought all the stuff to make a profit off of it on ebay, well I just hope they eat all they bought.
Like you I was SO SO SO disappointed and just sad that I could not get my hands on anything.