My morning meeting was 98% women, all director-level and above. And every single one of them was in red, except me and a nun. Literally, A NUN.
(I work in Catholic healthcare, which is why I dress for meetings as conservatively as I do. Never know when there might be a nun at one!)
Yeah. So at least I was then able to participate, because my face was very, very RED. Luckily, a few other women eventually showed up not in red so I wasn't standing out as much, but oh boy, that was an embarrassing moment there! :)
The funny thing was, my outfit was pretty plain and not one that would have stood out at all on a normal day. I realize now that I need at least one brooch, because this outfit was screaming for one. Alas!

Chanel-esque jacket, Forth & Towne
Dress: ruffled front sleeveless chiffon sheath, Loft
Black sheer hose, Assets by Sarah Blakely at Target
Black pumps, Lifestyle from DSW
I have to give a shout-out to the sheer hose; I am usually not a fan of high-waisted but this particular brand is really quite good. They stayed up all day and didn't feel too tight at all. They're made by the same brand that makes Spanx, but they are half the price at Target. I am definitely picking up a few more pairs of these.
The neckline of this was very pretty; the dress has a ruffled mandarin collar, and it sat perfectly against the unfinished collar of the jacket. I wore a shorter strand of pearls inside the neckline so they wouldn't compete or drag the delicate fabric of the dress down.

On the plus side, I learned yesterday what the following acronyms mean: CLABSI, NHSN, ARRC, and CHG cloths. Two of those are so gross I would prefer not to elaborate. :)
+++++
OH! For those of you who have been digging my long-sleeved/turtleneck layering underneath a dress, I just have to point out that even the uber-stylish Michelle Obama likes to layer that way too. Don't be afraid to give it a try yourself!
Sadly the opposite happened here and I didn't find another soul that knew about the "red" day...lol.
ReplyDeleteLove your jacket.
You really fun.
ReplyDeleteI can understand that you would dress in a more conservative way in such an environment. Is just that you look so good in your more colorful outfits that you felt the diference. That jacket might be a wonderful transional piece.
I've just learned of the red day after I got home. But I haven't seen that many people wearing red yesterday.
That's funny about you NOT wearing red, because of course you would have had you truly realized what a big deal it is. I wore my red corduroy blazer over a black shirt on Friday, and my female coworker wore a red sweater...I said to her "Cool, we're both doing the red thing today" and she said "what red thing?" - lol!
ReplyDeleteWow! I love it when bloggers mention where they work. That's amazing! You have great style, and it's just a fluke that you weren't wearing red on Friday. Quite a few people in my office at the university were. I'll admit, I wore a red skirt. Wowza, right?
ReplyDeleteLOL, Kristin. You look wonderful nonetheless! I know what you mean about conservative dressing. I never wear red to work for a similar reason and I wore red pants for wear red day. I felt like everyone was looking at my pants the whole day.
ReplyDeleteThat it a very classy jacket, it has a nice cut and well I easily fall in love with anything in tweed... I think you look elegant, sure a pin would spice it up but I would wear it just as it is...
ReplyDelete