The end of my birthday staycation was so great, I have been in denial all this week that is over. Ha!
The trip to New Buffalo was fantastic, exactly the break I needed. We stayed in the Four Winds casino hotel, which is done in a wooden beam/cozy furniture style. Very pretty!
Hubby joined me on Wednesday night, my actual birthday. We had cocktails at the martini bar in the casino, then a late dinner at the steakhouse.
I do love a good dirty martini; they gave me extra stuffed olives for my birthday. Yum!
I was also excited because my Christmas jacket from my mom got a good wearing again; the silky fabric with the lacy pattern is just perfect for a night out.
And look, Rose! Turns out I actually don't need an evening clutch -- I totally forgot I had this one from White House/Black Market -- another Christmas gift from my mom during our trip to Vegas a couple years back. It's got all the style elements I love in a clutch -- it's quilted, studded, sparkly material without being made of spangles, and is big enough to hold a wallet, phone, lipstick and even keys.
Hubby left the next day and went to work, while I drove around exploring my favorites spots in the area. First up was the New Buffalo beach. Beaches in winter are lovely, lovely places -- bleak and empty, with sharp contrasts in the elements and colors.
The parking lot is never empty in the summer.
Red beams on the benches are more eye-catching than usual.
Not a lot of humans, but the birds leave their mark.
The lighthouse stands tall, waiting for the summer visitors to return.
Hard to believe it's 30 degrees out looking at this view, isn't it?
I always wonder what they do to keep the sand from moving too much in the storms. Looks like they use a series of temporary fences.
Ice chunks line the edge of the water.
After that, I headed over to Sawyer for my long-awaited lunch. The Greenbush Brewery is well worth a stop if you are in that area. The beers are pretty good, but OMG the food is outstanding.
Just look at those options for snacks and soups! Blue cheese and cauliflower, are you kidding me? Bring a vat of that, please!!
I had my trusty Country Ham & Cheese and it was as fantastic as the last time. I cannot believe all the magic happens in that tiny space back behind the braided garlic.
They are expanding the kitchen now during the "slow" season. The place was still pretty full of hipsters, even for a random Thursday in March.
It's like Cheers, if Cliff Clavin owned a laptop. ;-D
Of course my next stop was right next door, to the Sawyer Garden Center. But this post is already pretty long so I will leave that for my next entry. I will give a sneak peek of some of the delights they had there: shamrocks!
P.S. Happy belated St. Patrick's Day!
Part 2 coming tomorrow. Promise.
Hi Kristen. Sounds like you had a beautiful birthday. Love your pictures; especially the one of the bird tracks in the sand.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if Redemak's is open yet. I think I need to take the family on a mini trip to New Buffalo. Its been so long since I've been there. Do you have any recommendations on places to go?
Love the clutch too.
Hi Lisa (I still have your email to reply to, please don't think I forgot you!)-
DeleteRedamak's is open! I was surprised when I drove by, then I saw a sign that is open March-October. I didn't stop this trip.
In New Buffalo itself, the one place I haven't been yet but am dying to check out is the bookstore. It looks cozy and crammed with all the fun stuff. There were also a bunch of stores along Red Arrow Highway that looked promising, but I did not stop by this trip. And of course, I always love the Sawyer Garden Center -- next time I want to go across the street to the grocery store too. Their sign about their ice cream is calling my name!
Those beach photos are surreal. Florida beaches in the winter are hardly ever colder than 60 degrees - it's weird just to have to wear a sweater.
ReplyDeleteHa! I should post some of the ones I took a few years back, where the ice floes were HUGE along the shore. You will not even believe it. It looks like another planet.
DeleteYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine seeing ice chunks on a beach...that does not compute! What a lovely trip - looking forward to part two!
ReplyDeleteHa! Yes, I imagine you do not get a lot of ice rocks in Texas. :)
DeleteThat looks so fun! I love all the beach shots - although I did think those ice chunks were rocks! Is that seawater or freshwater?
ReplyDeleteIt's Lake Michigan, so freshwater. I am in the landlocked Midwest, alas! :)
DeleteI have been to all the places you visited. I LOVE the area. I wanted to retire there but my husband said NO...he wants warm. We are looking at homes in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina and plan to put our house on the market next week.
ReplyDeleteI loved this post Kristen and your joy just "leaps" from the words you have written. Thank you for making me smile this morning in my bathrobe and drinking my coffee! You made my day..............Mary (the outlet mall lurker!)
Hi Mary! See, I think I will be able to convince my husband to retire there, since he likes the cold and he is a native Michiganer. And he loves that area too -- lots of fishing spots for him!
DeleteGlad you enjoyed the post -- and good luck selling the house! Hilton Head is lovely; I bet you will be very happy there.
Happy Birthday!
ReplyDeleteI looked at those big parking lots and wondered when it'll be warmer. Here it is almost April and the forecast has snow for this week :(
Glad to see you found a better party bag! Sometimes shopping your closet is the best solution.
That's a new one for me.... ice ?!?!?! at the beach shore =!=??!
ReplyDeleteNever seen it, never imagined it ! Our beaches are always warm.