Sunday, August 19, 2012

Clutter I can enjoy

I am not a fan of clutter. It's almost at phobia level: I can't watch Hoarders, I can't be in people's homes if they have too many tchochkes and clutter on their shelves, I don't go thrifting or antiquing because there is just too much stuff, and worse, it's usually dusty and grimy or *shudder* sticky and grimy.

So it was a wonderful delight when I wandered into an antique barn yesterday and found the prettiest clutter I had ever seen.

Untitled

Everything was cleverly styled, dustfree and inviting. This shelf of perfectly organized milkglass vases was only the beginning of the colorful store.

Not to be outdone, there was another shelf of jewel-toned milkglass pitchers.

Untitled

The teal one was my favorite, of course.

Untitled

Even the furniture displays were attractive, and had some hidden gems tucked around them.

Untitled

Untitled
I remember that phone so well! I always hated calling people who had 9s and 0s in their numbers because it took so long to use those. Nowadays I don't even know my best friends' numbers; I just plug them into my contacts list and select their names.


My very favorite part were the single-color displays. So, so pretty!!!

Untitled
Blue


Untitled
Pink


Untitled
Orange


Untitled
Green


Untitled
Red

Untitled
Yellow

Yellow is my favorite, closely followed by the pink. Which one is yours?


I might have to go back and buy some colored vases. Hmm, hunh, yep.



11 comments:

  1. Kirsten, I share your clutter phobia, so whre was this magical barn/store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is in New Buffalo Michigan, right next door to Redamak's. (I'm on vacation, LOL.)

      Delete
  2. Now that is a gorgeous store; beautiful "clutter". Yes, please tell us where this store is!

    I don't like clutter either...it just stresses me out and I have a reduced ability to concentrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good, it's not just me. My friends and co-workers never understand! :)

      The store is in New Buffalo MI. Right by Redamak's -- I've been there a half-dozen times but never went into the antique barn before.

      Delete
    2. Thank YOU!!!! Now I'm really excited because I love love love New Buffalo. I love Redemaks. I need to get out there before they close for the season.

      And no...its definitely not just you. When I was working on the ambulance I would always sweep out the rig and clean and organize it before I could start any shift. Once that was done it was like my mind was clear and I could easily proceed with my day. It drove some of my lazier partners crazy.

      Delete
  3. Great displays - I love single color groupings. The pitchers remind me of some old Fiestaware...I can't believe you managed to make it out of there without buying anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelley, I had to force myself to take photos of it instead of flipping over the pitchers to see if they were Fiestaware. Next time I suspect I will be buying some!

      Delete
  4. Be still my heart - all that red (and the yellow too) makes my heart flutter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love all of those vases in your first picture. If I had room for a bookcase devoted exclusively to colored vases... well I'd live in a much bigger apartment!

    But to your point on rotary phones, I loved the 9's and 0's! We had one in our basement when I was a kid, and I loved using it because it was so novel and fun (of course they were still around in the 80's, but the rest of our phones had buttons).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very attractive. I admire artsy clutter in other people's houses. In my house it always look messy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's organized clutter. Big difference between that and regular clutter! I love the blue - it just looks so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete