Sunday, August 5, 2012

A lovely summer weekend

Thursday was a work day of course, but it was also the night we went out to celebrate Phillip's birthday, so I am counting it as part of the weekend. Like I did in college, LOL!

Untitled

I ordered another pair of the Gap white modern bootcuts, this time a size smaller.  Verdict: LOVE THEM. The 20s are just too big around the thighs, and they stretch out everywhere as the day progresses. These are snugger but when they stretch, they still fit. Hurray!

This is a Lane Bryant sweater top, my gold J Crew Outlet yellow stone necklace, and orange Clark sandals. So summery -- I had to keep in the flamingos and patio umbrella so you could get the full summer look.

Untitled
Hair flip! Hahahahaha.


That night we went to a fabulous Southern-coastal restaurant in the city, then a tiny, delicious martini bar. Much laughter and jokes and good times were had to celebrate Phillip's birthday. So glad we did this! We all needed a break from work.

Untitled

Untitled

The iPhone collection. No one can put them down anymore!

Sunday I went down to my girlfriend Jessie's new apartment. She is loving showing off her new neighborhood to me, and I am loving exploring it with her. First we went to breakfast at Pannenkoeken Cafe, where we ate pannenkoeken, of course.

Untitled

Untitled


Pannenkoeken is a thin Dutch pancake, served open face with many different toppings. I went for a savory breakfast, with ham, pineapple and Havarti cheese. So, so good! I added a little of this Dutch syrup called stroop (no, really) so it wasn't too dry. The syrup wasn't as sweet as American syrup, but it was the perfect sweet compliment to the savory ham and cheese. I will definitely want to hit that place again.

Stroop!!!

We then wandered through Lincoln Square, checking out the funky toy stores and of course, Gene's Sausage Shop. Like I am going to pass that by!

Untitled

Gene's had plenty of homemade sausage and pierogis, and their deli salads looked amazing. There was a shredded carrot with horseradish one that I want to try soon. (And then figure out how to copy it.)

Then we wandered through the residential streets. So, so cute! Lots of gardeners and neighborhood pride here.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

I decided that I was not going to prepare much this week; we did not finish everything I cooked last week, and I am tired of the waste. The freezer is fully stocked and everything can be defrosted quickly when we get home. For the first week in a long while, we are going to eat our dinners on the same night that we cook them. GASP!

Of course, I prepped a couple of pints of blackberries and made a batch of blue-cheese coleslaw, but that's for lunch more than dinner. :)

So I came home and hung out on the porch reading my stack of Time Magazines that I had fallen behind on. I made a plate of snacks for me and Hubby. Mmmm.

Untitled

Untitled

George came out to join us too.

How was your weekend?

9 comments:

  1. Good tip on the GAP pants! I have a pair (in the rose color) and I love them when I put them on but by the end of the day I feel frumpy. I will have to try on the next size down in the store to see how they feel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, you look fantastic - that outfit is summer, perfected. Secondly? You have a great hair cut - that flip shows it! So pretty. :)

    What a neat neighborhood. I want a sweet front porch like that (and comfortable weather to sit out in!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your outfit. Just so pretty and summery. How nice to have a break from food prep! Look like your weekend was fantastic all the way around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great in the new, white pants! And I enjoyed seeing the pictures of your friend's neighborhood.

    Hey, have you shared your blue cheese coleslaw recipe here? It sure sounds yummy! I wouldn't mind trying it....

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look beautiful in your white pants and blue top. And hey, I totally need a pink porch chair to match pink plants - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pleasant looking neighborhood!

    Is the pancake the Dutch version of a crepe? I'm a sucker for ham, I think I'd like those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome weekend! You look great in those pants, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You were in my neighborhood this weekend! I've yet to go to Pannenkoeken, but I'm a huge fan of Gene's and pretty much the rest of the Square. AND I went for a run through there yesterday, so we may even have crossed paths! Chicago is such a small city sometimes, isn't it? I've lived in the area for about 5 years now, so if you and Jessie need recommendations for where else to go in the 'hood, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your outfit! I too find that with Gap slacks/jeans, I often have to buy a size smaller than I think that I would need because they always stretch out after wearing them for a little bit.

    ReplyDelete