Daily Food Tracker: Friday
Breakfast (late, at my desk): fatfree yogurt
Snack: none (the pineapple sat forlornly looking at me all day)
Lunch: two slices pepperoni pizza
Dinner: Hunh. I honestly do not remember. Oh, right! A large mixed greens salad and cheesy garlic bread from D'Agostino's.
Daily Food Tracker: Saturday
Breakfast: out to breakfast with J and Hubby: Belgian waffle with maple syrup and fresh strawberries
Lunch: (at a birthday party for a one-year-old): Doritos, macaroni salad, 2 Laughing Cow wedges with crackers, canteloupe, ham and corned beef sandwich with muffaletta topping on a flat sandwich roll, deviled eggs, a metric ton of water
Snack 1 (at the party): BIRTHDAY CAKE!!!
Snack 2 (after the party): couple of gin and tonics and onion rings :)
Dinner: spinach and onion thin-crust pizza
Daily Food Tracker: Sunday
Breakfast: whole wheat waffle with crunchy peanut butter
Second breakfast: lemon fatfree yogurt and pineapple chunks
Lunch: Hawaiian burger (pineapple, jack cheese, bacon and BBQ) and half an order of cheese fries at Meatheads
Snack: toffee crunch ice cream bar and a metric ton of water (it is ridiculously hot out today)
Dinner: sweet Italian chicken sausage on a bun, bowl of chopped veggies in dressing
Snack: oh, the lure of fresh rice krispie treats
++++++
So that was my first full week of tracking food on the blog, and I have to admit I liked it. I've done WW and Medifast online in the past, and I'd forgotten what a good habit it is to not only write down what you eat but to do so in a public forum. It definitely keeps me honest, and it definitely makes me think about what I am eating throughout the day. I made a much more concerted effort to eat better in my other meals if one of them was awful, and I want to continue doing that while also getting my "bad" meals not to be so bad.
The weather is supposed to be heat-wave hot all week, which makes the idea of cooking anything upsetting. So before it got crazy hot on Sunday morning, I hit the grocery store and then spent some time prepping things for easy "putting together" during the week. My husband is going to visit his mom for a long weekend starting Thursday so I will be on my own after that. (Sliced figs with blue cheese and bacon, you will be mine!) I tried to buy items I can pull together quickly into some kind of meal, be it a salad or sandwich or just a bunch of random foods on the plate. With him gone, I can eat more piecemeal and with less takeout. I hope. :)

For salads

Cucumber, red and yellow peppers, carrot shreds, leeks, celery. Throw a couple of handfuls onto some romaine, add blue cheese and dressing, and my salad is done!

I love strawberries and will buy them as deep into the season as I can. Good for fast breakfasts with yogurt, or just an evening snack. Ooooh, or I can recreate my delicious Saturday morning Belgian waffle and strawberries at home with my regular breakfast whole-wheat waffle...

Watermelon, the summer's most perfect fruit. I am allergic to stone fruits, so peaches, plums, pears, and apples all have to bypass my plate. But you will take my melons and berries away from me when I am dead.

I fried up the last of the peppered turkey bacon.

Another perfect addition to my salads this week. It was so, so good in last week's salad.

Because I am not made of stone, I made a batch of rice krispie treats too. I had to finish off the box of cereal before it went bad! That's my excuse and I am sticking with it. (It will probably go to the office unless my husband polishes them off before Tuesday.)
I also have:
leftover sweet Italian chicken sausage chopped and ready to go (boy that had some good flavor)
crab meat
eggs
grilled and cooled asparagus
more watermelon :)
good variety of yogurts
If it gets cooler, I want to make a sausage (or crab), asparagus and sharp cheddar frittata with scallions. My friend gave me a great versatile recipe for it a couple of years ago; you can cut it up into 6 slices and wrap them individually. Reheat in the morning and you have breakfast to go!
Frittata from Barbara D.
1/2 lb. turkey bacon, cooked crisp and chopped (1" pieces or so)
2 large scallions, chopped
8 oz. (or so) mushrooms (I usually use crimini, and really, white buttons would do as well, but the shiitakes looked good this week. Though they tend to be drier than the criminis, so the frittata is a little dry -- but you can't beat the taste of shiitakes, so.)
12 oz. mozzarella, shredded
6 eggs, beaten with salt, pepper and a couple tablespoons water
1 C. or so freshly grated mix of Parmesan and Asiago
Add the bacon, vegetables and mozzarella to the eggs and mix together -- I use my hands to get everything thoroughly incorporated. Pour into a well Pam-sprayed round glass baking dish (a square one works, but tends to make for drier, more well-done corners). The one I use is 8 1/2" in diameter and 3" deep. The frittata will puff quite a bit when cooking, then will settle as it cools.
Bake at 350 for 20 min, then add the grated cheese to the top and cook 20 min more. Let cool completely and cut into 6 wedges. Wrap each individually in plastic wrap and yes! They will keep 6 days. I usually make this on Sunday and I have it for breakfast all the way to Saturday. Just heat it for a minute in the microwave before eating.
You can put *anything* in this recipe -- everyone I've given it to has modified it. My brother uses vegetarian sausage and spinach, an Indian friend jazzes it up with Indian spices. You can use just about any vegetable, obviously.
To make it more WW friendly, You can use egg beaters (my mom does) and decrease the cheese (or use low fat), I'm sure. I wouldn't use non-fat cheese though -- none of the ones I've tried melt at all and that's sort of critical.
(My notes: she is not kidding about put anything into it; as long as you pick a veggie, a cheese, a meat and an onion type, you are good to go!)
++++++
I feel pretty certain you can expect a good number of food posts and photos this week. Hope you don't mind!
Love your salad prep - throw some of those strawberries on it as well, yum! I have watermelon in containers in my fridge and after seeing your picture, I'm having a hard time waiting until after dinner to have some! It IS the best summer fruit, I concur. :)
ReplyDeleteUh-YUM! Love the food pics!
ReplyDeleteI love salads in the summer! Your salad toppings with bacon look pretty tasty. I made salads for dinner tonight with chipotle and garlic skirt steak, corn & black bean salsa (the recipe is on my food blog if you want some addicting but totally healthy salsa to snack on and put on everything!) and avocado to help me and Fella detox from a weekend full of festival eating. I'm pretty sure we'll have salads at least once more for dinner this week, especially if this heat keeps up.
ReplyDeleteAnd I consider rice krispies treats to be fairly healthy compared to a lot of the other desserts I could bake up. They're less bad than most cookies and brownies at least.
Hi, I am a lurker - I am a reader but this is my first comment. You should check out myfitnesspal.com to track your food. I discovered it a few months ago becasue it was available as a calorie tracking app for my new phone. Then I checked out the website. I use the site most of thee time. Then someone from one of the blogs I read signed up too (Krissie from questionsfordessert and growlinmytummy)! I love it.
ReplyDeleteYou look like you're ready. Hopefully the end of the week won't find you with lots of tubs of spoiled fruit and veggies!
ReplyDeleteI think the krispy-squares are a good idea. It's the devil you know verses a trip to the vending machine.