Friday, July 15, 2011

Note to Self: Never Post when Hungry

The Fourth of July was only ten days ago. Doesn't it seem like a lot longer?? I never did get a chance to post some of the shots I took at the parade that weekend. So here you go!




????



No outfits photos from yesterday, alas! Had to leave early for a meeting, and just felt grungy and tired when I got home.  I am looking forward to this weekend.

++++++

Is anyone else not liking the new Blogger interface? I liked redoing the colors on my blog, and I finally updated the blogs I follow list, but I miss my old dashboard screens, and I REALLY do not like the posting inteface. I need to see the cursor all the time.

+++++

Daily Food Tracker: Thursday
Breakfast: WW frozen English muffin sandwich, pineapple chunks
Lunch: Panera Pick 2: broccoli cheddar soup, half tuna sandwich, chips
Snack: None during the day (!!!), fig newtons and a small glass of skim milk (evening). Cold milk just hits the spot sometimes.
Dinner: FINALLY! salad with romaine lettuce, peppers, carrot shreds, cucumbers, leeks, blue cheese, dried cranberries and peppered turkey bacon. That damned bacon has been taunting me in my fridge all week. Unfortunately it was more like ham than bacon, but the peppery bite was delicious. The whole salad was delicious.

I forget sometimes that I am a pretty good food-putter-together (I won't say cook because there is no cooking involved, I prep and my husband grills). I do well bringing together different flavors and textures so things aren't bland, but not too over-the-top, either. Kind of like the way I dress, in a way!



I am out of lettuce now, but I wandered back over to Bittman's 101 Summer Salads to find some inspiration before I go grocery shopping. These sound like winners for next week.

34. Grill quartered romaine hearts, radicchio and/or endive. Drizzle with olive oil and sherry vinegar, and add dill and chopped shallots. Teeny-tiny croutons are great on this.

38. Cube watermelon; combine with roughly chopped mint, crumbled feta, sliced red onion and chopped Kalamata olives. Dress lightly with olive oil and lemon juice. Despite saltiness of feta and olives, this may need salt.
(Oh heck yes I am trying this one!)

76. Slice fresh figs — many, if you live where they grow — and top with crumbled bacon, balsamic vinegar (the best you have) and crumbled blue cheese.
(Way better than a Fig Newton, that's for sure. I love figs.)

There were several others with mushrooms that looked amazing, but 3 new salads is enough for one week! How about you: any of these look good enough to try?


4 comments:

  1. If you have watermelon left over a friend gave me a glowing review of this watermelon salad -

    http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/01/the-minimalist-watermelon-and-tomato-salad/?scp=2&sq=watermelon%20+%20tomatoe&st=cse


    Fig newtons are a good snack item for me because they're sweet but don't have the addictiveness of chocolate. A "good but not so good they can't be left alone" item.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that link. I'm always looking for ways to spice up my plain old greens, with tomatoes & cukes and protein lunch salad I usually have every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "That damned bacon has been taunting me in my fridge all week." my favorite line outta the whole thing. totally made me LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about another "note to self" ?
    IF HUNGRY: AVOID the supermarket at all costs.
    I went to the grocery store yesterday afternoon and if you saw what I brought back.......
    Oh and I love the 4th of july pics.... they look so colorful and professional.

    ReplyDelete