Thursday, June 30, 2011

30 Doc: Day 28

I (re)made some jewelry!

I've been looking for a statement necklace, something a little different from the long strands or short delicate pieces I usually wear. I saw one on the LOFT site that I really liked, lots of lovely smoky quartz on a gold chain. I had a coupon so I ordered it. Loved the smoky quartz, love the shape, loved where it sits on my neck.

Hated that there were a ton of extra little bits of junk on the necklace. I couldn't see it in the online photo, but there were iridescent plastic disks and cheap fake rhinestones pieces mixed into the quartz. Then I looked closer and realized I could remove all the bits I didn't like and it would be a keeper. So that's what I did.


What I got rid of.


What I kept. There are still a few yellowish stones I might also remove. We'll see how it works next time.

But I loved it with my outfit today!


Oooh, a dressy dress outfit. Kind of a change of pace for me lately, oddly enough; my summer dresses this year have been on the casual end of business casual. So when I saw this one on the Target site I snapped it up -- in navy. Love the tulip skirt; usually it's a shape I stay away from with my pear body, but sometimes you just gotta celebrate what you have. And I have hips, baby!

Since I had two new pieces, I decided to dig out some older things to even it out. The shoes are a great platform heel from Me Too; they're heavy and old-fashioned looking so I only wear them on occasion. But I always feel powerful and sexy in them.



A dressy dress like this requires a dressy purse. This is an old satchel from Forth & Towne; Shopping Friend gave it to me when she got tired of it, and I keep thinking it's almost time for me to psss it on. Then I use it again, like today, and I realize I'm not getting rid of it anytime soon.



I picked up this jacket from LOFT after seeing Bianca rave about it over at Brown Girl in the Ring; she always finds the best LOFT pieces. Love the olive-y green of it, and it was a great addition for the chilly office. But I tried to wear it as little as possible because I just love this dress.



Lastly, did you see sweet Emily in the screen door? A funny thing has happened at our home: Emily somehow became the alpha cat. She and George didn't fight but slowly George has conceded all the power in the house to her. My husband thought George was sick but we realized tonight he's just been giving up his throne to her. She eats first, he leaves the room if she comes in, if she chooses to sit with either of us he lets her. He waits for her to take the lead. It is SO odd, because she is still a little scaredycat about most things, and runs under the table whenever she hears a sound.

She's getting a little cocky about her new status. Here she is sprawled over her domain. I love that she crosses her legs behind her too. Hee!

8 comments:

  1. The dress IS amazing! And you look terrific in it. The necklace fits perfectly into the neckline & the shoes are the frosting on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great! Thanks for sharing how you "fixed" your necklace. I love cats so hearing about yours is always a treat. Today's story is so funny...I love how cat attitudes are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily IS looking quite lady like in that photo!

    I LOVE that outfit. I love it so much I want to copy it hee hee.

    Have a great weekend Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily looks so cute!

    Nice handiwork on the necklace! I'd never think to do that, and I'd definitely be afraid of breaking it. And I really like that Target dress. I saw it on their website and thought it was kind of "meh," but it looks fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our cat Henry, who I swear spent the first 3 years hiding under our bed, is now the alpha cat. We still can't figure out when he decided he was king, but it sure is funny to see...interesting how your George just went with Emily's takeover. Love her crossed legs pose. :)

    That dress is really great, and I love that you made the necklace uniquely yours. I'll have to remember that it's ok to do things like that when something just isn't quite right for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do know you have KILLER stems, right??? And old or not, I LOVE those shoes!!!

    ~~Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice shape on the dress.

    I think the discs would have been overkill on the necklace. Good thinking to get your pliers out!

    I just bought a pair of "Me Too" shoes. They're pumps but have a platform and are amazingly comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooolala, that dress is BEYOND amazing! You are looking fabulous!

    ReplyDelete