Tuesday, June 28, 2011

30 DoC: Day 25

On Sunday I headed back to the Chicago Botanic Garden for a sunset walk. The light while the sun is setting is amazing, even better than during sunrise; I took a photography class once and the instructor explained that the angle of the sun and the particles in the air made those two windows of time the best in the day for photographs. It's true; the glare of an overhead sun at noon ruins a lot of shots, and makes everything seem harsher. Since then I have tried to keep my photo trips to that early or late schedule...which tends to irritate my friends who are late risers. LOL.

This one is pretty photo-heavy; I stayed all the way until it got dark, waiting to see how the place looked when the lights went on. My point-and-shoot did really well on the low-light setting without a flash. I am pleased.

The sun still glowing over the flower beds, dappling and dancing in lovely ways.






Visitors enjoying the fountain in the lake.




More secret gardens


Hey, look who is here!


Lilies in the Bulb Garden


A trail of yellow flowers among the purple heather


The purple onions are blooming!


A quiet sunset




Even after that, there was still a lot of light in the Walled English Garden. I cannot get over how lush it is.
















I have taken a million pictures of that blue bench way in the back.


In the darker light, the rich purple of the clematis shows up better.

The Rose Garden was also glowing in the fading light.




The waterfalls were working again, hurray!




When the lights finally came on, some of the lights focused on the flowers.






But what I liked best was all the angles and garden design that the lights brought out.









The bonsai displays were stunning.




Finally, the fountain from the beginning was still showing off its brilliance, even if no one was watching it now except me.





Sigh. I love this Garden, in every season and every time of day.

8 comments:

  1. I love looking at gardens more than I love working in them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a talented photographer, thanks for sharing these! My faves are 'the visitors enjoying the lake' and the dark clematis pic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures! I agree with Break Fast Habits, you are a talented photographer. Thank you for sharing1

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want you to explain to your many readers how you define the term "late riser."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your point and shoot did an amazing job (as did the photographer behind the lens). Stunning! I especially like the fiery-orange lilies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So jealous of your sunset trip to the garden! What a difference a few days made for the purple onions. And it looks so cool lit up at night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely, lovely post. I feel so serene from just looking at your beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete