
Me and my Auntie Pat, summer 2009
My Auntie Pat died this week, after a long, hard-fought battle with lung cancer. She was a brave, kind, smart, funny, thoughtful, generous woman, and we all miss her terribly. Their family moved out West when their kids -- my older cousins -- were very young; one daughter suffered from asthma so the air out there was better. And everyone chugged along with their lives. After many years working in nursing and running a successful home health agency, she retired, and she and her husband spent years traveling the country in their RV. After she got sick the first time and lost one lung to cancer, they settled back in Tucson. Coincidentally, my job started sending me there for an annual conference, and that gave me the opportunity to reconnect with them again. I will always be grateful to work for that.
I loved visiting there, and just hanging out with her and sitting in their garden. She and her husband were a pair of gentle old hippies, with lovely glass pieces hanging in the garden, and handmade flutes and boats in the backyard.


I'm also grateful I went out to Arizona to spend Thanksgiving with her and her family this November; no one wanted to say this might be the end, least of all her, but I didn't want to miss a yearly visit, just in case. I'm headed back out again tomorrow for the service, and to see my Arizona family. Texting and Facebook isn't quite enough right now.

Auntie Pat and her great-granddaughter
When we get back, I will be taking the rest of the week off from blogging and commenting. I'm on overload right now, with work and stress and grief, and this is the one extra thing I can give up before I go over the edge. It will only be a week though, because blogging also serves as an outlet for me; I don't want to lose that.
See you all in a week. Be good to yourselves.
I'm really sorry to hear of your loss and sadness. I could tell from the pictures and comments awhile back that your aunt was a special person in your life.
ReplyDeleteIm so sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing the pictures and the memories. She looked like a wonderful person to have in your life.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your loss. Take all the time off you need.
ReplyDeleteKristen, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll send some good thoughts your way! This is a beautiful post to commemorate your aunt, and I admire that you know when to give yourself a break. Take as long as you need, and we'll be happy to see you when you're ready to return to blogging.
ReplyDeleteMy deepest sympathies, Kristen - I'm so sorry. The love for your Aunt Pat came through loud and clear in this post...what a lovely tribute to an adored woman.
ReplyDeleteMy deepest condolences Kristen, I'm sorry to hear this sad news. - bella
ReplyDeleteMy thoughts and sympathies are with you. To me, January, not April, is the cruelest month.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure this makes your Thanksgiving visit with her even more special.
ReplyDeleteOh Kristen... I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Take your time and focus on what you need to do.
ReplyDeleteMy condolences. So sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteOh, sweetie, I'm so sorry to hear of your aunt's passing. I'm so glad you got the chance to spend Thanksgiving with her. Take care and know we are thinking of you. (hug)
ReplyDeleteI loved your aunt's garden when you posted pictures over Thanksgiving...What wonderful memories you have!...Be very easy with you these next days...There is time for the shoulds after you heal..Best!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry. Your aunt sounds like a wonderful person. You are fortunate to have had her in your life.
ReplyDeleteI know it's so hard losing her but you will always have those times together to remember. I remember when you posted about your visit in November and I was so enchanted with her courtyard. Thank you for sharing a bit of her life with us.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely tribute you've written here. Hugs and prayers for peace Kristen.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about your aunt Kristen. Hope you and your family are doing ok.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry Kristen :(
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for your loss, Kristen. You and your family will be in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear of your loss, Kristen. Prays and thoughts to you and your family.
ReplyDeleteTerribly sorry. I'm thinking of you. This kind of loss is so hard. I'm so glad you were able to spend time with your aunt before she died.
ReplyDeleteYou are in my thoughts and prayers, lady. Your aunt sounds like she was an amazing, fun person. Take time to grieve, and be good to yourself. And let your bloggie friends know if you need anything.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear your news. You were fortunate to have had such a beautiful connection with her and with that comes such a sad loss. I'm so glad you were able to see her recently. take care, hugs.
ReplyDelete