
Kayla over on Internal Sequin Issues did a brave, brave thing a couple weeks ago: she counted all the shoes in her closet. Now that I've finished out the final round of new footwear purchases for the season, I thought I would take an inventory myself. It's quite a lot.

There are 36 pairs in the photo, PLUS:
2 more pairs of heavy snow boots downstairs.
1 pair of running shoes
1 pair of aqua socks
2 pairs of flip-flops (for manicure days)
4 pairs of dressy party heels in boxes at the top of my closet
PLUS two containers of summer/spring shoes under the bed (uncounted)
So, 46 pairs so far. I'll do another compilation in the spring; in putting this together I did retire two pairs that I never wear and are not comfortable, and I imagine I will do the same then.
I even organized them by frequency of wear, style, and heel height. Doing so made me realize a very important fact:
I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE SHOES FOR THE NEXT TWO SEASONS.
In fact, I will even declare a shopping ban on shoes for the fall and winter. (I know, Shopping Friend!) I love shoes, and I love shoe shopping, but...I have all the shoes I need for my wardrobe right now. I've actually done a good job getting the right variety and comfort for my needs. So -- and I can't believe I'm saying this -- but I don't need any more shoes.
Let's look at what I have, and let me savor the moment.
The Heels

Comfort is key for me with my heels, and I prefer spending the money on a good pair that will last. I like proven brands, and I loooooooove the oxford bootie look.

-Black oxford brogues with chunky heel, Naturalizer
-Red patent heels, Franco Sarto
-Grey fabric bow booties, Naturalizer
-Blue suede booties with front cutout, Sofft

-Black/grey croc and patent buckled kitten heels, Franco Sarto (these are for pants so they're not getting worn much these days)
-grey patent oxford brogues, Franco Sarto
-same fabulous pair in burgundy
-brown suede oxfords, BCBG (probably my least favorite of all the heeled oxfords)

-brown Mary Janes, Naturalizer (may get donated after this year if they don't get worn; I've evolved beyond this style now)
-black square-toed shoes, Franco Sarto (everyone needs a pair like this that go with everything)
-tan perforated stiletto heels, BCBG (more of a spring/summer shoe, but I keep it out just in case I need a good nude)
-black leather pumps, Lifestyle

-plaid fabric peeptoe heels, Bandolino (summer shoes I kept out in case I wanted to try the peeptoe-with-tights look)
-black suede pointy pumps, Bandolino
-black leather pointy kitten-heel pumps, Circa Joan & David (sentimental favorites: they are the first really nice and pretty shoes I bought with Shopping Friend, and the ones that started me on the road to moving from ugly chunky shoes to my current shoes)
-tan-and-black kitten-heel patent brogues, Naturalizer
That whole row could be donated, I rarely wear any of them. We shall see where they stand at the end of the season.
Flats and Boots

I am cheaper about my flats, and I think I need to become more discerning. The ones I wear the least are the ones I've gotten at outlets or from Target. The comfort is just not there!

-black leather pointy flats with ribbon detail, DSW
-bronze jeweled pointy flats, Audrey Brooke at DSW
-brown patent croc ballet flats, Me Too
-black ballet flats, Me Too
That row is all my go-to flats. I wear those constantly.

-red Converse, Converse Outlet
-grey Converse, Converse Outlet
-grey tweed pointy flats, Ann Taylor Factory
-red patent bowed flats, Target
-brown croc patent pointy flats, Ann Taylor LOFT
I will probably donate the last 3 flats if I don't wear them this year, since I rarely wore them last year either.

-black faux Doc Martens, Grinder (not worn in almost 10 years. Hmm.)
-black leather ankle boots, Nine West
-toro-colored fitted heeled boots, Franco Sarto
-black fitted heeled boots, Franco Sarto
The Grinders should be donated, the ankle boots are new for this season, and the fitted boots are starting to show a lot of wear at the toes and are pretty loose on me now. Not sure if they'll make it the whole season, but I have other boots so they wouldn't be my first choice anyway.

-black leather cowboy-ish boots with brogue detailing, Vince Camuto
-plum patent lined weatherproof boots, La Canadienne
-brown riding boots with zipper in back, Franco Sarto
-patterned galoshes, Target
You all know how much wear the first 3 pairs are getting. :)
Do you see why a ban is in order? I love so many of these and I need to wear them as much as possible, and not allowing myself to buy more will definitely keep me rotating through what I have. So barring any major issues (like I hurt myself and have to wear flats every day) my no-shoe ban has begun.
Until the spring. Then it's every man for himself. ;-D
Wow, you *do* have quite the collection. I'm seriously drooling over several pairs. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm going to have to buy those Sofft shoes.
ReplyDeleteYou have the nicest collection! See my problem isn't shoes but accessories. I'm going to have to share my sick collection of necklaces, rings and such. It's quite obnoxious. And they are so cheap, so I can't stop the madness!
ReplyDeletewhat size do you wear, and what is your address? lol!
ReplyDeleteMajor shoe jealousy. MAJOR!!!!
I have I think 12 pairs plus a pair of flip-flops. :/ BUT I am on a semi-shoe shopping ban too.
Great collection! Perfect mix of statement shoe, classic neutrals, and different but classic. I have alot of shoes too, but my problem is I don't have enough flat shoes (I am dealing with a bad injury right now so this is a big issue) and I have too much black and brown, black and brown.... i am bored!! So no ban for me :)
ReplyDeleteExcellent post! I need to do the same to really look at my collection as a whole. I also ned to focus on higher quality shoes, as those are the ones that get worn due to better comfort.
ReplyDeleteI was curious if you've ever done a post on rebuilding your wardrobe from scratch. I am halfway through my weightloss journey with 20 pounds to go. But already I have had to get rid of everything I had- I was a size 16 and hope to end up around a size 8/10.
Since you had to start over, I was curious at your approach. I noticed your slection of more high quality pieces and I'd like to do that as well. I just wondered of you had a list of basics or what your thoughts were when rethinking your new wardrobe.
I look at your blog everyday and really enjoy every post- thanks so much for taking the time!
Lynne
You have an amazing shoe collection! I'm jealous over a few pairs as well!
ReplyDeleteI am thinking that we need to know your shoe size if you are donating some of those shoes! I must admit that I have trouble finding dress flats that are comfortable for me but I haven't given up! I will find a pair of flats that work for me, I like the looks of, and are comfortable!
ReplyDeleteI don't think you have too many shoes. I think you have enough shoes to have OPTIONS!
I love those blue Sofft shoes! Gorgeous - I don't suppose you are a size 9, are you? :)
ReplyDeleteWhy not institute a one-in, one-out rule instead of an outright ban? Once you know you can't buy a new pair unless you get rid of a pair, you will suddenly become a) a lot more discerning and b) a lot less attached to some of your less worn or less comfy shoes. It's worked really well for me.
WOW - major shoe envy here, and I love the boots, and especially the new Sofft shoes.
ReplyDeleteI am also very interested in what Lynne was asking in her comment, about having to re-do your entire wardrobe due to weight loss. I've got a few more pounds to go too, but geesh - I have *nothing* to wear and am super-cautious about buying stuff, because everything I buy ends up too big a few months later. Anything I bought last fall/winter (very limited purchases) is now too big.
In the meantime - you look just fabulous, and I love the way you 'dressed up' the MOTG formulas too. Just excellent!
There.Is.No.Such.Thing.As.A.Shopping.Ban.On.Shoes.! I start to hyperventilate at the mere thought...especially since I'm surrounded by them all day, every day.
ReplyDeleteKari, I have you to thank for the red patents; seeing yours made me realize how versatile they could be.
ReplyDeleteJael, I encourage everyone to get the Soffts. They're fab.
Dina, I have a small collection of accessories, but that's building too!
Meli, I wear a 9. And I am burying them all in my backyard for safekeeping! LOL.
Kendra, I was in the same black/brown rut but I slowly started buying more colors -- the red and blue especially -- and now it's a solid collection. You'll get there!
Lynne, thank you! I haven't done a post yet about rebuilding my wardrobe, but I will now! It's a great idea, and I know for sure I'd have 2 interested readers in you and Sarah. :)
Thanks, Kim!
P4F, I have such trouble finding comfortable flats; it's much easier to find supportive and comfortable heels, strangely enough. I like the idea of having options -- I'm going to use that!
Heeee, everyone wants to know my shoe size. Yes, I am a 9!
Sheila, I LOVE the idea of one-in-one-out! I think I'll do that instead. Thank you!
Sara, thanks for the nudge for a new blog topic. I will put something together soon! But don't be afraid of buying things that fit you NOW; it's great motivation to keep going.
ShoppingFriend, LOLOLOLOLOL! I knew that would freak you out. But it's true, I am set for this season. I'm going to do a one-in-one-out idea instead of a ban, though, as Sheila suggested.
ReplyDeleteSHOES! *drools*
ReplyDeletei seriously could not do a shoe inventory. it would take hours. there's shoes hanging on the closet door, shoes under the bed, shoes on shelves in the closet, shoes in trunks in the garage, on and on. i SHOULD get rid of some of them.
You know a love a good inventory :) And I'm seriously jealous of your shoe collection.
ReplyDeleteWow, that's an amazing shoe collection Kristen! I ADORE your new blue suede shoes! I showed your photos to my friend and she loves them too. They go perfectly with your fabulous frocks. :D
ReplyDeleteThose are some rockin' shoes. I am coveting the Oxford look at the moment. And I think Naturalizer makes some serious stylish shoes that manage not to make me cry when they are on my feet.
ReplyDeleteYes, I agree, you have way way too many. I will be over promptly at 8am tomorrow to pick those unneeded pairs. Please have all the heeled oxfords, strappy pumps and colorful flats ready.
ReplyDeleteThanks!!
:-)
OMGosh, those blue Sofft ones are calling my name!!! I am so in love!
ReplyDeletedearest kristen,
ReplyDeletethis is a most orgasmic post.
it's a top-comfort shoe haven!
NICE :)
I have just as many I think
ReplyDeleteI just need to lay them out on the floor and scream!!! :)
Style on a String ..because style has nothing to do with money.
wow nice blog... i would like to share some information regarding to your blog... hope it may helpful for you blog...
ReplyDeletecheck it out..
http://www.treds.co.uk/manufacturer/converse/21/1