When it comes to packing the right clothes, though, I am often hit-or-miss. This particular trip worked out well, so I laid out what worked and why.
1. I packed by outfit. I literally laid out each outfit on my bed and included the accessories for each.

2. I took into account when we had special occasion days: my "elf" outfit for Christmas Eve day, a dress for Christmas Eve night (left photo). I assumed Christmas Day would be a mix of dressier and casual, so I packed my purple cardigan and a sparkly statement necklace. The road trip up to the mountains (I thought we would be doing some minor hiking, which we did not). (Middle photo for both.) Plus two flying outfits, and a hanging-out outfit or two. (Last two photos on bottom.)




3. I added a couple of extra scarves and a white layering top. The 30-for-30 taught me not to take my layering tops for granted, and I wanted the flexibility of swapping out a scarf on an outfit if I changed my mind. This proved astute when my mom forgot all of her scarves and was constantly cold when we were out walking. She claims she'll be mailing back my beloved white-and-black Target scarf soon!

4. I added my 5 most-worn necklaces as another accessory backup. Which was fine, because if you are going to overpack, make it something small or flimsy (jewelry and scarves worked out well for me!) The weather and fluctuating temps between casinos and outside made this a great decision: I often wore both a scarf and necklace, and when I got hot I removed the scarf and tied it to my bag handle. But I was still nicely accessorized with the necklace!

5. I made my only real mistake with shoes. I did not take into enough account how much walking we would be doing. I thought I had it covered with the sneakers and flats, and anticipated switching out of them throughout the day (which I did, and it worked out well). But the booties were not a comfort option for any of our treks, and they just don't look right to me with the dress. They could have stayed home. The patent oxford heels were perfect for the dress instead.

6. I took into account I would be shopping, so I kept my options open about buying a dressier outfit for Christmas Eve/Day. I also knew I was going to need a dressier bag: I brought a mustard casual crossbody for my casino-only purse, and my brown Gap tote for lugging around all my cameras when we went exploring the Strip and elsewhere. But I had nothing for a night-out bag.
One trip to White House, Black Market solved that! My new bag, two new sweaters, and two new belts. (The last one, a sparkly black beaded ribbon scarf was on sale and already gone from the website. But look at that cute pink one below!)
I also picked up the perfect pair of flat black clogs from Dillards, from their in-house brand. These saved me as a third walking shoe option -- and that isn't a style I have at home so it was better to buy them there. (No picture on website, but they are your basic clog but with a longer toe instead of that dumpy rounded look.)
7. The last key part to my packing plan was good use of my packing tools, all purchased from The Container Store (which is like my own personal organizational crackhouse. They have the best stuff.) I bought a shirt-carrier after a lot of skepticism, but now I love it. I was able to fold down seven days of shirts and sweaters into this space, and nothing got wrinkled!


I also have a great toiletries carrier, with two major deep pockets. I use it only for road trips and longer flights when I have checked bags, of course. Carry-on needs something much smaller!

Those two tools allow me to get everything into the bag, including a couple of books, my flattened tote, and our Christmas stockings. The bag itself is a Samsonite purchased at an outlet store also a couple of years ago. After nearly 20 years of travel to our families, I finally realized I should get some real luggage instead of the junky Target crap that kept ripping and breaking. I am so happy I did!

Cameras (I brought two, and two lenses), my actual purse and various electronic equipment and essentials for traveling all went in this sturdy nylon tote that fits perfectly under the seat. It has three pockets and is such a godsend (seriously, if you are scrambling for the right bags for every trip, consider investing in a good packing tool or two. They make traveling so easy!)

And that is how I pack for trips. Hope you picked up a tip or two that you hadn't tried yet. Got any to share with me?


No new tips from me. I also pack and accessorize by outfit. My problem usually is that I always put in an extra outfit (or two) "just in case" and always, always take too many pairs of shoes, "just in case" and now every trip, what with all the new rules and charges for extras, we have to weigh the luggage - lol!
ReplyDeleteGreat tips. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteThe last two trips I took, I bundle wrapped our clothing. It was a tip I learned on academiachic. It works well if you're going to unpack and hang everything.
I've never packed by outfit - just brought a random amount of tops and bottoms. Which would explain why my travel looks are always so hit and (mostly) miss...I'll try the outfit thing next time.
ReplyDeleteIs that nylon tote a Baggalini? I love their stuff.
I must remember to pack by outfits. Like Shelley, I'm a random packer which is why I'm a mess. I also bring too many pairs of shoes!
ReplyDelete~Gail
OMG, Kristen! This couldn't be more timely because I am leaving on a week-long cruise on Sunday and have to start packing!! Packing by outfit is just genius and I will definitely be doing this!
ReplyDeleteI'm also going to try bundle packing, as explained here: http://www.packinglight.net/how_to_pack_a_bag_sketch.aspx?tx_id=77. The people on the cruise message boards swear by it!
The only thing I can add is that when I go on a week long vacation (usually the yearly cruise in February) I make up a calendar and actually write out in the little blocks what I'm wearing each day. It helps me to get a little extra mileage out of some pieces. The top worn to dinner can usually be worn with shorts another day. Not the other way around. I tend to over-pack but not nearly as much as I used to before I planned out each day as you did.
ReplyDeleteHelen, I usually bring a couple of "just in case" outfits too but I didn't let myself do it this time, just the extra layering top and scarves. I think it was because like Splurgie said, I had already figured out there would be some items that got remixed on different days so I really already *had* extra outfits among the things I was bringing. I did end feeling like I wore some pieces constantly and others only once, but in the end I wore all the clothes I brought, which is a first for me. The accessories were the only things that I overpacked on.
ReplyDeleteShelley, I do think the tote is a Baggalini. It's so light and indestructible. Love it!