Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Real winter vs. fake winter

I am back from a lovely trip to Las Vegas! I have many photos and thoughts to post (both of a fashion and a non-fashion nature), but it is off to work I go so this will be brief.

Here is what I wore on the "coldest" day we had (Hubby took this one, and I could not stop laughing at his terrible photography skills):



That is a Gap knit moto jacket, a sheer teal scarf, a thin Gap striped sweater, Gap skinny jeans, and purple Privo sneakers. No socks. We rented a car and drove through Red Rocks Canyon that day, where the temps dropped to the 40s while we tooled around in a convertible. For half the trip, I had to break out my chartreuse knit gloves. I only wore the jacket this day, and the days we arrived and left...in the airport.

This is "winter" in the desert.

Meanwhile, on the same day at home, 12 inches of snow dropped out of the sky. Puffer coats and boots will now be worn for the rest of the winter; no more cute boots, no more suede, no more nice hair styles unless it can be shoved under a hat. I'm not complaining, that is what I am used to. It was Vegas winter that seemed surreal.

But it finally dawned on me that it is that warmer "cold season" that most clothing retailers seem to build their winter collections for. I never really got some of the options in stores before at this time of year; how can you have so much freaking suede when their is ice and salt everywhere? What is that ridiculous unlined wool coat supposed to do? Most of the stuff I saw for sale in Vegas would have been wearable back home for about a week in the late fall -- but they are appropriate for the whole winter season there.

I am New England bred and have lived my entire adult life in Chicago. Las Vegas and the desert is a wonderful place to visit, but that will always be fake winter to me. Snow, ice, below-freezing temps -- that is real winter. And while I complain about the length of it sometimes (snow in April is just MEAN), I definitely prefer the real thing to the fake one.

So I throw two questions out to you:
1. Do you live in a real or fake winter area?
2. Which do you prefer?

Tell us!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I am laughing as you ask this sunless, cabin fever victim, does she prefer continued cold, below zero temps, salt, slush, grey skies, to sun, warm temps, clean streets...As a resident in the northern midwest, I hate winter...Need I say this again...I hate winter...
    I would love to live where you only see snow on the weather channel in December... I would love to wear my suede shoes, light jackets, no hat, no gloves, no insulated anything...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I moved to DC from Iowa I felt like DC had a fake winter.

    After living in the Mid-Atlantic area a number of years I love the long fall season, and don't mind a chilly spring season because I know summer will be coming.

    We're a coat lovers paradise because the 6-8 weeks it's really cold requires heavy coats, and the long transitional seasons mean you need lighter coats too!

    Given the choice I don't think I'd go back to a place with Iowa winters again.

    We went biking through Red Rocks in April. It wasn't quite as flat as I'd thought it would be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was born and bred in "fake winter" and I love it. I tolerate "real winter" a couple days a year--only because it allows for skiing. Real winters are picturesque but I dislike being cold, digging out cars and slipping on the roads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you know, I currently live in a place with 'fake winter', and have for the past 15 years or so, having also lived in South Texas and outside of Vegas, but, I grew up in a place of 'real winter'. I've scraped windshields, pushed stuck cars, and dealt with frozen locks. It took me years to not feel bad that I wasn't having a white Christmas, but now, I'm totally loving it! In fact, one of the hardest parts for me is wanting to be able to wear the cute fall fashions out there, but having no need for them.

    (I hope that wasn't rubbing too much salt into the wound...) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fake winter here...although south Texas is so much colder than northern California, where I grew up, that I feel like it's a real winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing your more casual outfit posts, just to mix things up.

    Until this year I lived in a "fake winter". Melbourne winters are a bit more real than Sydney winters, but still no snow. Does that make it fake still?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lived in Montana for 14 years, and I've been in Texas for 10 now. I miss winter. I miss snow, and being able to wear sweaters for more than three months a year (if that, it was 86 last week). If only the people here knew how to drive in snow and ice, for the 2 days a year we have it. We did have a white Christmas last year, that was heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely live in real winter. Chicago's temps (and wind) are usually right in line with what we receive here, so I completely understand what you mean. Although it seems a bit masochistic, I think (at least until January) that I prefer real, cold, harsh winter to fake. Once the Holidays are over, I guess I could take it or leave it :) But Vegas in July is just as cruel as the Midwest winters, if you ask me. When my husband and I went for our anniversary, it was AWFUL 120 degree heat, with dry, hottttt winds that gave you zero relief. We asked a friend who lived there how he did it, and he joked that he "packed his manparts in ice." Hmmmm....guess bundling up isn't so bad after all? Ask me during a March blizzard, and I might flip flop :)

    Super cute outfit!!! Love the jacket, and it looks like you got a bit tan?? Hope your vacation is/was fantastic, and wishing you a safe trip home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've lived in both, and much prefer my snow-less AZ winter. I miss fall and would love to wear boots, tights, and layers sooner. But I'll deal and keep my mild winter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Southern California here, so "fake" winter. I've never lived in a cold climate, so I can't really compare. Sometimes I wish for a white Christmas, but then I come to my senses. jk

    ReplyDelete