Friday, December 3, 2010

30 in 30 Challenge: Day 25

Took me a couple of tries to get the tripod and camera coordinated yesterday morning. First I chopped off the top of my head:



Then I cut off my feet:



Finally I tightened the connecting screw on the attachment piece and got it just right.



I was feeling very inspired and colorful yesterday, and there was just something about matching the purple with the green-teal that spoke to me. And really, the polka-dot blouse needs a dash of whimsy with it; it DEMANDS whimsy, don't you think?

(Although in the sad news department, I fear the blouse is soon to join the melon sweater in the trash heap. The ruffles continue to shred on the right side despite my best effort. They are beginning to look like a Lola Falana showgirl look, all feathers and ruffles and fringe. I wore my 30 pieces to pieces, it appears!)

+++++++

Splash0306 asked yesterday how I had time to blog and take photos in the morning. To start with, I am a super-early riser, and I like to spend a couple of hours playing around on the computer; I check FB, my emails, play some Mafia Wars, etc. But for blogging, I take my photos at the end of the morning, just as I am heading out the door. At night I download them to my computer and tweak them in iPhoto, and think about what I want to say in their accompanying post. I don't write it at night, as I am generally too wiped from the day; I go through my Google Reader and collect which posts from other bloggers that I want to reply to. Sometimes I reply that day but most of the time I collect them for about a week and go on a comment-spree on the weekends.

In the morning, I do my usual web-surfing and then write my post about yesterday's outfits and whatever else is sparking my interest. Then I shut off the computer, get ready for work, and let the cycle begin again. :)

++++++

Confession time: I did break one of the rules of the challenge. I bought something. I'm not going to try to justify it; it had to happen, and I couldn't make it another 5 more days before I got it. I bought a winter wool coat. The pounds just didn't drop as fast as the temperatures did, alas! It's just a cheapie black wool coat from Target, but it will fill the temporary need. I am hoping I will be able to zip my white puffer before we reach the arctic temps; I am awful close! But the wool coats are all way far off in fitting.

That said, I am still restraining myself from random impulsive purchases until the end of the challenge. It's been a nice break, and a lot easier to do than I thought it would be. I am sure I will be a shopping fool in Vegas, and likely January as well; my style has changed from the dress/cardigan flop-proof outfits of last year to pants/cardigans this year, and that requires different length tops, cardigans, etc. I would also like to start incorporating more skirts back into the mix. But for now like I said on YLF last week, just the idea of being allowed to shop the rest of my current closet feels like a luxury. I can't wait to be able to dive back in!

11 comments:

  1. Don't beat yourself up about it. I haven't even attempted this challenge yet. A capsule PLUS a no buy it just seems really hard, so coat or no coat I'm super proud of you! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's amazing what you can pull together with what you already own. I'm sure you can't wait to tap into your full collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think purchased due to weather changes and you have nothing that fits should count! Just my .02.

    I can vouch for your weekend commenting sprees... I like them though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teal and purple - so pretty together. You always get me running to my closet to try out new combinations I never would have thought of.

    As for the out-of-challenge purchase, staying warm and healthy is what's most important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the others. Buying a coat out of necessity is not the same thing as an impulse buy. I cheated twice. I've been looking for brown boots for two years now and I found some two weeks ago. I was not going to pass up boots that fit well and were on mega-sale just because of the challenge. I've also been looking for a white shrug since August and found one yesterday. I'm not going to beat myself up because things I've been searching for happened to show up during the challenge. I haven't had any impulse buys, or just shopping for the sake of shopping, so I think I'm doing okay.

    I also play Mafia Wars, so if you need another member, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to miss that polka dot blouse when it goes...it's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blouse is what drew me in on this posting. It caught my eye. Too bad its got to go. Don't lament about the coat too much. It was needed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sad about the blouse! I've tried it on several times in the store but kept noticing the fraying and was going to ask those who already owned it about that. Can you trim it up a little and put some Fray Check on it?

    http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Bonus-Pack-Fray-Check/dp/B000YQKIDY

    (That worked for some ruffled tanks I bought at Old Navy.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the color combo! And yes, that top deserves some whimsy. It's so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must have missed the post about the melon sweater biting the dust :(

    I hope something new in melon will make it's way into your closet once the 30 in 30, and Christmas is over.

    I totally agree that coats don't count here...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Purple and teal - LOVE.

    I need to do some polka dots this week - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete