Wednesday, December 1, 2010

30 in 30 Challenge: Day 23

Sorry for the whiny post yesterday; I am in much better spirits today! I'm not going to lie -- a large part of it is due to you guys. I love checking my inbox throughout the day and seeing all the different comments and perspectives you all bring to LFD. You make me see things I don't on my own, and you definitely make me feel better when I am starting to feel grumpy! I don't say it enough, but THANK YOU all for the time and kindness you spend here. I have the best readers! (Even when they are typo'ing their brains out, heehee, Julia! You cracked me up.)

Two other things delighted me yesterday:

1. That new Medifast brownie was not half-bad! A little gross in the creation of it (needed more than 3 tablespoons of water, for sure) but it ended up tasting rather brownie-like, and best of all, it was warm. It's hard for a warm brownie to be bad, isn't it?

2. I wandered over to the WW site (I still have my monthly membership there), and checked out the new plan. HALLELUJAH!!!! They are finally, finally getting back into the real food concept and away from the 2-point snack-athon. Fruits AND vegetables are now 0 points (most of them; I didn't check them all out yet), and other points values have been re-evaluated so the junk costs more. Plus they raised the points limits for all members. The push is to encourage people to make smarter, healthier food choices instead of just eating 2-point foods because it is all they can "afford".

I have talked about my adoration of the Core plan from a few years ago, and this is a giant step in incorporating the best of that plan into the regular Points plan. Bravo, Weight Watchers! I am definitely motivated now to switch plans in early 2011 from MF to WW; that's the kind of long-term eating plan I've been looking for!

OMG, my Bento is going to be so busy next year. Hurray!!!!

++++++

Oh, and I wore my 23rd outfit of the challenge. Bet you thought I forgot, didn't you?



I don't know how long this sweater is going to last once the challenge is over; it is pilling something terrible! Do those de-pillers actually work? It's a little gross and embarrassingly visible, since it is right under my arms and around my chest. But I am wearing it as much as I can while I can!



It's funny, I started this challenge with 3 white tops but I ended up swapping out all but one. I would have preferred to have gone with a lighter top today, but the black ruffled tank is all that was clean and appropriate. I paired with two versions of checked grey-and-black print: the micro-check of the pants, and the larger one of the scarf.

Thanks to your encouragement and my stubborn need to power through the challenge to the end, I have some ideas for mixing up a few more new combos this week. Let's just hope they work out as well in the mirror as they do in my head. LOL!

13 comments:

  1. I have a sweater shaver (de-piller). They work somewhat, but if you have a sweater that tends to pill it will gradually go away to the inside of the sweater shaver!

    Good luck with your plan, however you accomplish it. I have tried WW in the past and never liked it but the new fruits and veg are free thing might almost change my mind. When I lost 60 pounds several years ago, I did it completely on my own, by keeping my calorie intake steady (at about 1800-1900 per day) and just making sure I got in over an hour of exercise each day. I don't know why that stuck when plans did not, but it did. Now when I creep up, I just go back to calorie balance to attack the problem. I'm using a Bodybugg, which is fun, because it keeps my mind more focused on making sure I burn enough calories, rather than on restricting food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, you do things with that sweater that are excellent. The charcoal really works with it.

    I have an electronic sweater shaver. I think it's really great for sweaters with a bit of heft. In contrast, I bought a cheapy cotton sweater from ON recently that pilled after one wash, and truly, the sweater shaver action barely made a dent. Also it was cabled, so that might have been part of the problem.

    Really good to know about WW. Sometimes the only thing that eases my panicked mind about gaining pregnancy weight is imagining strategies for after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ITA with you about Weight Watchers. It's about time!

    The sweater de-piller that I have works but only to a degree. You could always buy an inexpensive one and try it before you invest in a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love reading your blog so thanks for writing every day! you've inspired me to wear more cardigans and scarfs to bring more color into my outfits (i'm a black grey and white kinda gal or at least i used to be :). i'm also doing mf and love the brownie with a little sf hot fudge buried in it before I cook it -i also mix in a little (1 tsp) pumpkin into the batter to keep it moist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha, I am wearing my very similar colored cardigan today. Mine is pretty short, so thanks to your post yesterday, I added an additional longer layer under the first layer I had planned to wear with it. Thank YOU for all your beautiful inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry that color cardigan is wearing out - I hope you replace it, because I think that color is fantastic on you. :)

    I am really impressed with the new WW plan - it finally looks like they are promoting eating the right kinds of foods instead of their dumb snacks. Glad to know it's out there and I think it will be a great transition from Medifast for you when you are ready!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stop stressing. You look great! I wouldn't even attempt the challenge and the best part is.... you did not buy (more holiday $$) and you were forced to use what you have.


    Thanks for the heads-up on the WW change. I'll stroll over to the site in a minute. I did WW and lost 55 lbs. 16 years ago when the plan had you count dairy, starch, meat and whatever. I gained weight on that fat/fiber plan. **Was that the name? It was too many carbs for me and easy to get over. I maintain by being obsessive, leaving the room when all the goodies are around, and a bit of starvation the day after we go out. Not fun. Age (in the weight dept) is not kind to women over a certain age.

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for explaining the new WW plan! I've gotten a few emails about it, and haven't had a chance to check it out for myself. I've also been terrible at tracking my points lately, so maybe that'll get me back on board.

    This outfit is another example of A Color Kristen Can Pull Off That I Can't (much like any shade of yellow), so I'll continue to be envious of that. I really like it paired with black and gray.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy L. (alinsmey475)December 1, 2010 at 5:18 PM

    I love the new changes to Weight Watchers...it feels like I'm not being penalized for eating higher protein foods, which is how I felt with the old system since those foods tended to take up your points so quickly. It's great! The only thing I kind of miss is Fiber One cereal being a "free" food...oh well, it's still low in points and I love it mixed with yogurt.
    You will have to find another sweater that is melon in color...that is YOUR color!
    Thank you for the update about the new Medifast brownies...have you tried the pancakes yet? I toy with the idea of going back to Medifast for 2-3 months but don't think I could stomach it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting about WW! I wonder how many points I would get now? 19 was totally not cutting it. I had to subsist on baby carrots and air :) Visited my nutritionist today and I am down which is a victory after Tgiving and while getting our house ready to sell (can you say "stress eating"??) so I am soldiering on with my 1200-1400 cals/day. How is MF feeling this week? Want to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, I HATE sweaters that pill easily. :(

    I've been thinking about going back to WW myself after hearing about the new changes. Like Laura, there was a time when I lived on baby carrots, and another round of WW when I wouldn't eat anything over 2-3 points just because I had so few points for the day. While I loved wearing smaller jeans, I hated feeling like I had an eating disorder because I became so obsessed with food and counting calories.

    Keep up the challenge! You're so close!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeahhhhh, I just broke the challenge. My heart's just not in it, haha. LOVE this outfit on you, missy. I can definitely see you getting slimmer and fitter right before our eyes :) You look fantastic, and I heart this combo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate when sweaters pill like that (mine do too, *sigh*).

    ReplyDelete