Tuesday, November 30, 2010

30 in 30 Challenge: Day 22, and Week 3 wrap-up thoughts

Well, let's get this out of the way quickly:



I didn't see the problem in the morning, but then at work I kept passing this one mirror by the bathroom and wondering why I looked so out of proportion. It wasn't until I downloaded the photos that I got it: the sweater is too short for the skinny pants. Now, I've worn this with skinny pants before, and it didn't look like this, so I skimmed through my previous photos and realized I always wore a longer shirt underneath it to balance it out.

Lesson learned: always wear a longer top with skinny pants. Always. Sometimes when I see teenage girls with several layered tanks/tees on, I wonder why they bother; you can't really see the layers except at their hips, where each successive layer sits lower and lower down their leg. Now I get it. It really lengthens them right where they -- and where I -- need it the most.

See the difference?


vs.



Duly noted! (Also, I need to wear this sweater with different colors. The white or taupe is boring!)

+++++++

Speaking of boring, let's discuss Week 3 of the 30-in-30. You guys, I am horribly, terribly BORED. I know there are only 8 days left, but instead of feeling inspired with a last burst of creativity, I keep looking at the next 8 days as pure torture that I must suffer through. I am sick to death of my limited options, and even though Emily Kennedy offered that great list last week, I feel like I have worn every combination I can think of. I miss the rest of my clothes so much. Even though they don't really fit again yet!

So I think I am just going to go for broke. I need color in the worst way, and I think I've been saving some of my really colorful pieces more than I should, and feeling less worried about repeating the neutrals. No more -- expect to see the melon, and the purple, and the red and so forth, quite a bit over the next 8 days. If I repeat within the week, that's just how it goes! Soon enough it will be over, and I can start digging through the rest of my closet again. Hurray!

Who knows, maybe going for broke will change my attitude toward the 30-in-30, and I'll feel more positive about it as I reach the end. It has been an interesting experiment, for sure!

++++++

On the dieting front, I did survive the Thanksgiving weekend. Interestingly, I fell apart more over the weekend traveling and coming home more than I did on the holiday itself. I've been good about sticking to the foods during the day, but my one meal of the day has not been Lean & Green as much as it should have, and I am seeing that affect the scale already. (Up a pound from last week.)

I had a new box of Medifast food when I returned, with all kinds of new items to try. The pretzels have already been dismissed as tasteless, but I will get through the boxes of them without a problem. I'm a little afraid of the brownie, but I will give them a try in the microwave in a day or two. The rest are pretty good.

So it's back to the stricter regimen for the next 3 weeks, while I think about actions and consequences over my Christmas trip to Vegas. At this point, staying on plan during the week doesn't seem like a good or possible idea, but I don't want to veer too far away either. Hmmm. Let's see how the next 3 weeks go first -- we don't really have a lot of parties or holiday events to go to, so it's just a normal few weeks for us. Thank goodness.

Week 2 Wrap-up Thoughts
Week 1 Wrap-up Thoughts

12 comments:

  1. I thought shirt sticking out from under sweater/jacket etc. was a silly look too -- until I tried it. Somehow it fixes otherwise not so great looks.

    Also, yes, embrace the color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the shirt hanging out the bottom - I'll be doing a look similar tonight.

    Go for it! Go crazy! Try combos you never would do before.

    I wish you luck with your Medifast - it sounds so hard! Please congratulate yourself on sticking it out through Thanksgiving! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see your point, but I do love the outfit otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I like the layered looks too, but I think the all-black look is actually fantastic. You have an awesome hourglass shape and without the underlayer distracting the eye, the outfit really shows it off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweater and/or jacket length - just like hemlines on dresses can be such a tricky thing, eh? But I don't think you looked horrible...

    Shelley always says she has lots of trouble when traveling. You know all the bags of junk in the airport - lol! Don't feel too bad. I know you would have rather have seen a pound down, but really? One pound up isn't all that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kristen!! Glad you had a great trip. Consider that you had a week where you hit the "pause" button, and resume normal programming this week. A pound basically means no change, so, onward!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm also a fanatic for longer tops -- with almost another except a waist-cinching skirt or pants. I have this body dysmorphic idea that I have no waist, but that you can really tell if I wear a long top and then cut it with a shorter one. I know it's probably all in my head, but also maybe not? Anyway, despite the proportion dilemma, I think you look smashing in this outfit. All black suits you, I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. *"another" in the first line should read "anything"

    ReplyDelete
  9. and....in the third line "can" should be "can't." Sheesh, it's a typo-bonanza up there...

    ReplyDelete
  10. ^^ What Monica said! You look awesome in this! I think the proportions are stellar.

    Regarding color: repeat within the week! Do it! I wish more people would. It's your clothing. You should be able to wear it how you want. Three days in a row if you like!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it'll be the drinking in Vegas that gets to you. With the warmer weather people are more un-covered than they were at home and it's not so hard to eat light when you're staring at bare skin!

    At night if you go out and it's dark and the drinks get going it's hard to resist a nosh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so jealous of those skinnies and how amazing you look in them ;) Love the outfit. Tres chic!

    ReplyDelete