
My food for the next 30 days
For curiosity and posterity's sakes, I photographed a day of meals that I eat on Medifast. I've gotten a lot of questions about it over the years, from offline and online friends, so since I was kickstarting the 30-in-30 Challenge and going back on Medifast on the same day, it seemed like an idea whose time has come. Not to worry, this is a one-time thing! I don't have the time or patience to do it again.
Anyway, the first thing you do is pick out your 5 food items of the day. I like to mix it up so there is a drink, a soup and some bars. The bars are the most tasty but they give you serious gas and stomach gurglings so having 5 all day turns my stomach into its own marching band complete with tuba and drums.
My picks for the first day. No real selection plan involved; I like all the foods I ordered and I like never having the same 5 items in a day.

In the morning I put a kettle of water on to make the chai latte and to prepare the chili for lunch. The thing to remember about the packets is that it is dehydrated food; if you want it to taste like real food, you need to rehydrate it. Some people "soak" the soup overnight, but I don't find that necessary. This one-minute preparation does it perfectly.
1. Put soup in thermos.
2. Pour boiling water into thermos. (It works from the hot-water spigot on a work coffee machine too. I am SUPER lazy sometimes!)
3. Seal thermos and shake vigorously for a minute until there are no lumps. Reseal and take to work. At lunchtime I will have tasty, still-warm, chewy chili!


7-8am: Meal #1
I make my chai latte. Again, this is dehyrated food, and there's a lot of protein in it which makes it a lumpy mess that can be hard to mix. The best process I have found is this:
1. Pour dry packet into mug and pour in just enough water to make a paste. Stir until you get a shiny, unlumpy paste.
2. Pour in the rest of the water and mix together. You can also use coffee, like I did here. Mmmm.


10am: Meal #2

(Added pen for size.)
Mmm, the caramel nut bar is my favorite. But it is a "maintenance" bar meaning there are more calories in it than the others so you can only have one per day. There are days I look forward to this damned bar for hours.
12n: Meal #3

AAAAAAARRRRRGGHHH!!!!! I made a rookie mistake with the chili and forgot it needs MUCH less water added than the soups. I don't have chili, I have (soy) Meat Soup. UGH.
I am hungry and not about to call it quits so I eat it anyway, and I curse my stupidity. Tomorrow I am having chicken noodle!
2pm: Meal #4

Mmmm, lemon meringue! A lot of the MF meals/bars are chocolate-y so I like to order some fruit-flavored ones to break it up. The lemon has a nice bright taste and the crunchy bits wipes the last of the Meat Soup disaster out of my mouth.
4pm: Meal #5

I am so freakin' hungry on my first day I actually chomped down on almost half of the chocolate mint bar before I remembered I was supposed to take a photo of it. HA!
6:30pm: Lean & Green meal

Hallelujah, it's time for real food. (The first week of MF sucks. Once I hit ketosis I will be much more intense, but for those first few days I am watching the clock waiting for my next meal time to arrive. It's not pretty.)
A Lean & Green consists of 3 servings of vegetables (1/2 cup each, lettuce is a cup each) and a 5-7 oz piece of meat depending on the type. You get 2 Healthy Fat servings and your pick of a specific condiment list. The list of approved veggies and meats is strict, to keep your carb count down, but there is still quite a bit to choose from. But we are lazy and we're not great cooks so we tend to stick with a few favorite meals, and a great big salad is one of those. Hubby grills up chicken breasts for us with Penzey's seasonings, and then we go to town filling up our bowls with veggies. A one-bowl meal is easiest because we weigh everything, even the lettuce.
This one is butter lettuce, alfalfa sprouts, red pepper strips, chicken breast and bleu cheese crumbles, with two tablespoons of dressing. They changed the rules on the dressings and the one we had is no longer on the list. Will have to shop around for low-carb dressings!

Mmmm. This is a favorite meal even when I am not dieting. Tomorrow will be my absolute favorite: a cup of spaghetti squash with half-cup of tomato sauce and turkey meatballs. My diet version of pasta which I have come to like even better than real pasta!
8pm: Snack

We get one snack per day: dill pickles, sugar-free popsicle, or a handful of crackers. I like my nightly popsicle, but Hubby is a salt guy so he goes through a jar of pickles a week on Medifast.
+++++++
There you have it. It's pretty restrictive, no question, and not for the faint of heart. But it's easy to get into a good rhythm with it, and as you may have noticed all the photos during the day were taken at the same spot at my desk. If I'm going to be stuck there for 9 hours at a stretch, it's a lot better for me to be eating regimented foods than the crap I have been eating. So, onward!
This was really fascinating! Thank you for documenting all of it!
ReplyDeleteThat was really interesting, Kristen. Thanks for sharing that! I'm eating a low carb/sugar free diet now for hypoglycemia, and it's a lot of the same stuff (other than the mediFast foods) that I can eat, so I can appreciate the restrictiveness.
ReplyDeleteFascinating! I'm always incredibly interested to read about diets, which may or may not be a good thing, but since I've been "healthy" (which I put in quotes because I never feel like I'm doing enough to counterbalance the damage that I did to my body for years) I haven't be on any kind of restrictive plan. I eat when I'm hungry now, which is a huge accomplishment for me, because when one is under the spell of ED, that hunger is like a badge of success. Sating it is the worst thing one can do. But over time I've learned that if you eat sensible things, like these healthy bars and protein soups, when you're hungry, and only then, you feel better and look better.
ReplyDeleteI've often felt that most women battle a terrible relationship with food their entire lives, and I so want to be different. I want to see food as a healthful and necessary part of my day, occasionally as an indulgence, and always as something that's best when partaken of with loving family and friends. But that's very very hard some days.
I hope you succeed here, but I know you will :)
xoxo
I've always been curious about this and now I know! Thanks for 'splaining! Best of luck on your new veture.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing. I'd always wondered what Medifast "was" and now I know! Your salad looks divine, even if it is approved.
ReplyDeleteI was wondering what you're gonna do for the 30 day challenge when you can't fit in your clothes anymore? Belts?
ReplyDeleteOh man. I was wondering what Medifast might be like from your talking about it. I end up eating similar quantities of food when I am eating to keep a -500 calorie deficit with my Bodybugg, but I'm not sure I could face the packaged foods. But I guess you've done this before and you know what's cool with you, so good luck this month.
ReplyDeleteI wish you all the best as you get back in the Medifast routine...the first 3 days were hardest for me, and then it was smooth sailing for a looong time :) I just don't know if I could go back to it, though...I admire you for taking charge and doing what you have to do!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for sharing!! I am going to like following along your journey, so I hope you keep writing about it!
ReplyDeleteIt's good timing because I just decided to get serious about my food and exercise again this week too. I have reached my highest weight in years and don't feel confident in any of my clothes anymore. Ugh... anyway, following along with you will be great incentive to keep myself going on the path too!!
For some reason I thought that MF was even more restrictive than this when I initially read about it. How long does it take for you to feel more regulated & hit ketosis?
ReplyDeleteThat salad looks delicious, part of a diet or no! Yum.
Thanks all. I was worried people would be bored by the photo essay; it is often boring to eat it! :) But it looks like this was a pretty popular topic.
ReplyDeleteAnon, LOL I think in a month there may be belting returning as an accessory option in my wardrobe. But in truth many of the items I am wearing right now are being stretched to their limit of "fit" so this month is going to be all about getting back into them properly again.
Kendra, good luck on your own journey! Post about it so I can follow you too.
Kari, ketosis usually hits 3-7 days into it. Basically your body has to use up all the fat in your liver first, then figure out it is not getting any from your food anytime soon and then start working on the fat elsewhere in the body. That's ketosis, or as I like to think of it, the little Pac-Mans figuring out how to get around the wall blocking them and starting to chomp on the fat on my dupa and belly. LOL!
Fascinating, Kristen! I was wondering what Medfast was all about. Do your calories increase the further along you get? I'm guessing that the first week is the most restrictive? I wish I had your willpower. I think about starting a diet nearly every day but can never make it past day one!
ReplyDeleteWow, thanks for this. Very interesting to see an actual insider's (i.e., no B.S.) perspective. Gosh, I'd really like to do this, but I think I would have a tough time due to my husband. He really hates eating the same thing all the time, and I think it would be too hard not to nibble. Maybe he could get through 30 days with me? I think it would be a very very cranky 30 days, lol.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I'm assuming there there are restrictions on what you drink? For example, can you have coffee and/or diet pop?
ReplyDelete