Tuesday:

Tan sweater from Marshalls, mushroom chiffon top from AT, green-brown belt from ATF skirt (which I ditched about an hour into the morning), brown-plaid microcheck pants from ATF, brown snakeskin Me Too flats.
Wednesday:

Black ruffled tank black short-sleeved long cardigan both from ATF, black skinny pants from Gap, cheetah print embellished flats from Nordstroms, brown scarf from a friend.
Neutrals aren't as exciting or easy to take photos of, but I love wearing them together. In real life the gradient layers of the similar tones is striking, and to me it is taking my color combinations to the next level. I love my brights and bolds, and color in general, so that isn't a knock. But I have noticed as I progress down this fashion journey, there are levels that I have found myself reaching for and trying to master.
At first, it is the Solid Color + Neutral combo. That didn't last long for me, and it's a rare combo that I wear even now.



I graduated quickly to adding in patterns. Sometimes it was Solid Color + Neutral + Print/Pattern:



Sometimes it was just Neutrals + Print/Pattern:



I graduated yet again to Two Prints/Patterns + Color or Neutral:



Two Prints/Patterns isn't my most comfortable style, unless the second patterns is in my tights or some part less noticeable. Other bloggers (like Sheila at Ephemera, Kasmira at What I Wore Today, and Audi at Fashion for Nerds) do it much better. See them for inspiration.
The third level, and the combos I feel most sophisticated in, are All Neutrals or a Neutral Combo, like the ones for the last few days, and these:



I don't know why I think of it as more sophisticated; maybe because it feels like it involves taking a risk, and that you have to be confident enough to wear black and brown together and not second-guess if someone points it out. They also usually require some nice fabrication and texture, to make the neutrals stand out against each other. Lastly, they take more forethought than most of my other outfits; like with my photography, I have to concentrate on the composition of the whole thing together, whereas with a color, if I am feeling lazy I can grab the color, add the neutral and then dig through my scarves for a quickie finish.
I love my colors and I will never be rid of them, but I am fascinated with neutral combos. How about you? What do you wear versus what do you like to see on others? Is there a difference for you?
I DO wear black and shades of brown together and plan to wear them on Saturday when I speak at a Ladies' Retreat! I feel secure in these colors - I don't feel like I "stand out" in a negative way, but project the calm and confidence that I WANT to feel inside :)
ReplyDelete)I also find myself admiring the same color combination on other people...)
I can totally understand what you're talking about adding a pop of color when I'm being lazy,those are the days when I think'Humm , I'm wearing all blue, let's trow a orange pashmina to give it some color'
ReplyDeletePairing neutrals is a more complex business and, you are right, they don't show that well in pictures.
I think you did a pretty good job with your neutrals and I like the way the brown belt work in the first outfit. Wasn't it confortable?
I like wearing neutrals and more dramatic shapes. Like your blog a lot! Tina
ReplyDeleteI love seeing neutral mixes, especially black and cream, and brown and grey (it reminds me of chickadees).
ReplyDeleteThanks for the shout-out, sweetie! :) You rock!
I love the first outfit, by the way - great proportion.
Oooooo, I loveth both of these, but that black outfit is UNBELIEVABLE! Tres chic. Those skinny pants look amazing on you, BTW, and I love the look of a scarf over a necklace.
ReplyDeleteI go through phases where I'm all solids, but I love the pops that a pattern brings. And I find I'm mostly neutral in the winter months, but bring out the bright colors in spring/summer. I just love all of the ways you try out different combos and document them - when I get stuck on what to wear, it's nice to come to your blog and scroll through your outfits for ideas!
ReplyDeleteThe very last photo -- the brown belt with the blazer and grey pants -- is my favorite. Such an inspiration, and such a flattering look. I love neutrals, too. I think sometimes I look like a clown when I'm wearing a bunch of colors and patterns, but in neutrals I always feel chic. Plus I think pairing textures is more interesting and a bit harder. Love this post.
ReplyDeletexo
I much prefer neutrals or all neutral and a splash of 1 color on me, however I LOVE seeing colorful outfits on others...I just think those like yourself wear them well:)
ReplyDeleteThis info makes alot of sense Kristen. Thanks for taking all the time and effort to run a blog everyday. You're doing an amazing job spending so much time and energy, and you are keeping it interesting. I notice your big smile in all of the posts and that cheers me up!
ReplyDeleteSan
The neutral combos look best in my view! Interesting and chic, and as long as there is a bit of detail in accessories or textures, it's fantastic. Your colouring is great with neutrals, but if you get sick of it, you could always add eg, a yellow layer below a grey/navy etc top peeking out a little, or a bright belt. The neutrals let YOU shine, whereas colours draw attention to themselves. One exception, that melon cardigan that you have is a spot-on colour for you!
ReplyDelete