Friday, June 11, 2010

Wednesday: Mixing patterns

DSC_5949

These boots are truly amazing. I did not expect them to get as much use as they have -- but the temps have all over the place this spring/summer! (Is it summer yet? I guess it is; Memorial Day to Labor Day is "summer" in my mind.) Anyway, so far I've been wearing them more than I have any of my sandals or flats. Who woulda thunk it?!

After yesterday's successful yellow-sweater day, I wanted to get a little creative and try some new pattern-mixing. I especially like it when the base color is similar, so my "new" brown Talbots dress seemed like a good match for my beloved Target chocolate polka-dot ruffled blouse. The stitching on the dress sometimes feels a little too "Swiss Miss" cute, so I thought the mix of the polka-dots would give it a little more oomph.

Did it work? Do two cute patterns combined make the outfit more mature, or is it just treacly cute now?

DSC_5952

DSC_5950

I can't believe it, but I forgot to take photos of Thursday's outfit! It was more summery, but just this dress and sandals. I am off for the next three days so I will make up for it by taking shots of all my weekend clothes. Those are more fun for me these days than my work outfits; summer is like that for me. 20 years since I took my last class, but my lizard-brain still longs for a school schedule. I don't wanna go to work, I wanna sleep late and go swimming and watch soaps and play on the beach and go on the boat to Montauk!

Boo adulthood.

2 comments:

  1. Me too. I fight the urge all summer long to quit my job - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the little ruffle effect the blouse gives under the V-neck of the dress.

    I can't see the colors in the pix well enough to know if that blouse is the most perfect one. I'm all for the pattern since the dress is solid.

    Nordstrom Rack often has knit shirts that seem like they're made specifically to be worn under suit jackets, and they'll have neck interest, knit ruffles or a little cross-over effect.

    I only go there now and then because it's not that close, but I always look through that area for tops the layer and fill-in necklines that need something.

    ReplyDelete