Thursday, March 25, 2010

Wednesday: This is not performance art.

DSC_5554

Whoa. That dress is REALLY EFFING SHORT.

Oh, I wish I had looked at these photos before I went to work. I mean, I knew it was a little short, but I did not realize exactly how short it was. :::goggles:::

Anyway, it's not a kickass Kohls dress; this one is from Target. I think I should have sized up on it, but even so, it's awesome. I had two in the same style last summer from Target; they were solids with colorblocks at the waist detail, and I like it much better as a print dress. Oh, how I have evolved in a year! :)

DSC_5555

I paired it with my purple AT boyfriend silky cardigan, which has absolutely been worth all 2999 pennies I spent on it a year ago. First, this was the first bf cardigan I bought and it got me to realize this was a style that worked for me bigtime, and second, the color kicked off a whole addition of tons of purple print dresses and outfits to my closet. Sheer Spanx and my grey Franco Sarto heeled oxfords finished off the outfit, as they have for several days running. I don't often wear the same shoes every day, but now that we are in this weird inbetween weather, where it's still cold and frosty in the morning and by afternoon it's in the 50-60s, my shoe choices are limited. The chunkier oxfords and suede shoes are too heavy (as you can see in the first picture when I as experimenting with my black Naturalizer chunky shoes, blerg), but it's not time for the sandals and strappy heels yet either. Alas!


+++++++


I've been mulling over some thoughts about my weight loss efforts for the last few days, and it's not been a fun mull. Two things keep circling back to the forefront:

1. I am really tired of dieting at the moment.
2. I am equally tired of doing it all in public.

I started on Medifast on January 1, 2009, and I have been dieting ever since. That's almost 16 months, and every minute of it has been on public display. I joined the MF forum boards in January, and I posted entries on a blog there every day as well as joined the community on the forum. We had weight-loss challenges and support and lots of discussions about food and mental adjustments and self-image and everything. Then I switched to WW, and I happily attended the meetings for months. I also started LFD and gave myself several weight-loss challenge commitments. I didn't lose during this period, but I was just as focused on the concept as I was back on the MF site.

Don't get me wrong, I know I did all that of my own free will, and I don't regret it. I loved my Green Gals over on MF, and I get so much out of going to WW meetings and reading and writing posts about these issues online.

But it no longer brings me any pleasure, and in many ways it feels like an obstacle that is impeding me from actually getting where I want to go. I know my long-term goal for 2010 is to get back into my 10s, but for the last few weeks I've been growing to accept where I am right now. That post I did on perspective, with the photos of me as a kid, keeps resonating with me; am I pushing myself to be this ideal weight because I still think I'm that fat kid? I wasn't fat then, and maybe I'm not now. Maybe where I am is perfectly acceptable. Maybe I need to let myself off the hook and stop dieting. Maybe I can just be.

(I keep wanting to add more that sentence, to put in a disclaimer that this is only temporary, that I will continue to lose weight eventually and get to goal, etc etc. But maybe I won't, and that's something I will decide once I actually try to "just be". I don't know, I haven't been in that headspace before; I've been in the "lose weight or be a failure" mode since January 2009. So I'm not putting any disclaimer; whatever happens, happens.)

And a big part of letting myself "just be" is not talking about it anymore. I have to stop treating my eating habits and weight as a piece of performance art. I need to concentrate on eating right FOR ME, and for me alone. To make mistakes and do things right, all in the privacy of my own head. I've gotten to the point now if I have a very bad meal I feel like I need to confess it online, and that's not good. That's not teaching me anything, and it's not stopping me from doing it again. I need to sort this stuff out on my own again.

So the "low fat" part of Low Fat Dressing is going to go quiet. I will still be posting about outfits and self-esteem and links and my 5Ks and other topics, but my diet is my own business, and I need to not share (or some would say, overshare LOL) that with the whole world.

I do appreciate all the kind thoughts, wise advise, encouragement, and sheer inspiration all of you have given me over this time, and I will definitely continue to read and be motivated in reading your blogs and your thoughts. The online blogging and weight-loss worlds are full of some amazing people, and I wouldn't gotten where I have without you. Thank you so much!

16 comments:

  1. Ironic that you wrote the weight loss paragraphs because every. single. time. I look at your pictures I always think, "I wonder why she's trying to lose weight - she looks great!" I know for a fact that we are always harder on ourselves than others would ever be. I truly believe you're making the right decision here. I'm also really coveting the outfit you're showcasing today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never started following your blog as a "diet blog." God knows there are plenty of them including mine. I always tuned in to see the clothes and shoes. In fact, I got so bored with the weight loss part that I started a blog about stuff in the house. I'm at the point that I just want to lose a few pounds ... not talk about it to death. You look terrific ... just allow yourself to "be."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here because of your fashion. Also, I can relate to struggling with your size...but I also am at a place where I"m trying to be ok with the status quo. It's a tough place to be...especially when you've made your desire to be smaller public.
    I imagine that the decision to make this a more private journey feels like some kind of failure or that you're letting your readers down. At least it would if you're like me. But I want to tell you NOT to feel bad about that. Public pressure is not something that anyone needs. Your struggles, successes and failures are yours, not your readers.

    Anyhow: what I wanted to say was I have enjoyed reading about your dieting as well as your fashion, but I totally GET the need to make that private. I will still enjoy your blog without the dieting stuff. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand, too, although I maintain a separate health/weight loss & maintenance blog. I actually do it for myself - not the public. It IS my accountability spot (a little public I guess) because I don't attend any meetings, etc. Everyone has a personal approach and you have to trust your own "innards" to give you good advice on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you look good how you are, Kristen - I don't see a huge difference in you from month to month. Be where you are, be who you are. Just before I started losing weight, I actually got to the point where I accepted myself - oddly, that allowed me to finally lose the weight.

    I still struggle as well to keep my weight off. *sigh* but I don't like to talk about it online (I'm more private about that). You do what you need to do, hon. We all love ya. :)

    I love that purple on you - you look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, short schmort. That outfit is WOMPIN', as my cousin used to say.

    Good for you for cutting yourself some slack.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The color of the cardigan looks just wonderful on you. And I don't think the dress is too short at all - show off those legs girl!

    As to the weight stuff - good for you for doing what feels right for you at this point in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soooo I think your decision to stop dieting is a REALLY GOOD ONE! First of all, you look fantastic. Seriously. If you didn't I wouldn't post a comment on your blog telling you you do. Second, I stopped dieting and my natural size is a 14. Is that still considered plus size? yep. Does it bother me? Well, it used to, but then I STOPPED obsessing about it and I am so much happier. I still have days (and probably will have more as bathing suit season approaches) where I'm like "maybe I should eat a nice salad today instead of ::insert bad food I ate two days in a row::, but over all I'm happy. Instead of dieting, I exercise 3 times a week, maybe more if I have the time, and I feel like that's healthier than trying to eat things outside the normal realm of food (like no restaurant food, or anything other than frozen dinners). I think you're making the right choice.
    Three: I don't think that dress is too short! You've got some fantastic legs! Maybe next time wear it with more opaque tights, or for the warmer weather, with leggings!
    Anyways, I enjoy your blog, and your style, and I for one won't miss the "low fat" part!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look great. I too struggle with my weight. Medicine I started taking gave me 20 more pounds that I certainly did not need.

    I look at you and I don't see any way you need to lose weight. I do know how it is to obsess about it. I had a temper tantrum in my closet yesterday...You outfit is great, that is a stunning color on you. You are perfect just the way you are!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Personally, I think you look fantastic! I've truly enjoyed following your weight loss journey through the Medifast boards and through this blog, and truthfully I can't think of an attitude healthier than to "just be." Please don't stop blogging about clothes and fashion...you inspire me to take better care of myself and to pay more attention to how I look, which in turn makes me feel great! You are amazing and I wish you the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. <3

    I think you are so gorgeous!!

    And I love this dress and the length on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look amazing and I don't think that dress is too short on you at all. You have great stems there lady, why not show them off? I have felt the same way about dieting "in public" and I find it discouraging to do so. I tend to not lose anything that way and get depressed about it (like now!). Anyway, you look great and there is no reason to be a certain size--- a size is just a number. I cut all the size tags out of my clothes anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Constantly dieting gets tiring - I've been doing this for nearly two years, and really "get" your sentence "Maybe I can just be" - I think that's perfectly ok. BTW, I look at you as someone who has lost her weight and discovered fashion, not really as a diet blogger...if that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kristen, I think that you are lovely and have a great figure (especially those legs, which I actively admire). Your eating choices are definitely your business, and you should only share what you want. I also come here for the fashion, and I am a blog-consumer who likes blogs because they are more personal and interesting than magazines.
    I love this dress on you. I don't think it's particularly short, and with the hose, it's still pretty demure. Way to rock a Target dress.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's really not that short! Really!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I started reading your blog a while back because I liked your style and your voice. I stopped reading it a few months ago because the diet talk was kind of getting me down. I am glad I came back to see that that will not be so much of a focus as before! You look great. Thanks for sharing a small part of your life!

    ReplyDelete