Thursday, March 11, 2010

Perspective

8th grade

I recently reconnected with a bunch of old friends from grammar school on Facebook. I went to prep school for high school, and my family moved to a new town after my freshman year, so I lost contact with almost all of the kids I grew up with after eighth grade. 30 years later, we're back together! It's been an amazing experience, meeting all these kids who've lurked in my memories now as adults and catching up on what happened with their lives in the ensuing years. Of course, it being Facebook, we have all started hauling out all of the yearbooks and photos and scanning them in to share and have a good laugh over.

When the picture above appeared, my first thought was, "Oh, she's pretty. Who is that?"

Then I realized: That's ME.

My whole world tilted a bit.

For years, I have described myself -- and I thought I was being kind -- as a chubby kid. In my memory's eye, I have always been overweight; it's been a pillar of my belief about myself and weight loss that changing my body like this is fighting against 40 years of pudge and genetics and history. Many of my memories as a kid stem from feeling so much bigger than everyone else, a hulking giant among fairy sprites. I joke that all the women in my family look exactly alike: big dupas, breeder hips, round Polish peasant faces and every last one of us has the same nose. We're all overweight, we always have been, and fighting that much history is a mountain that seems impossible to climb some days.

PD_0019

I am shocked now to see unequivocally that none of that is true. (Except the noses part.) I am looking back at these photos now with new eyes; I was never overweight as a kid, not in the true sense of the word. That came later, as an adult. As a little girl, I was just taller than the other kids, and I'm still taller today. But my actual body size was perfectly normal!

Square Dancing

I keep staring at these old photos of myself in disbelief, and I am posting them so I don't forget again. So that I let it sink in that the battle I am fighting with my weight isn't based on genetics and history; it's just adult laziness and bad habits and poor nutrition, and all that happened when I was old enough to know better and to do something about it. I am posting these to make myself see, really see, that the vision of myself as a child in my head is not even close to the reality of what I was.

PD_0014

PD_0007

PD_0003

Hell, I even participated in a fashion show once. (Shut up about the plaid; this was 1973 or 1974!)
PD_0016

PD_0015

As I got older, I got taller and more coltish, with long legs and shining long blond hair. I remember hating my hair back then, because the style was feathered hair with wings and a long line of a perfect curl in the front; mine never did that, it just hung thick and straight like a velvet curtain panel, and it was so, so blond. I would kill for my hair now.

PD_0018

PD_0020

PD_0001 copy

I remember this photo, and hating it so much. I thought my belly was huge and sticking out, that I was so fat and ungainly next to my girlfriends and I couldn't understand why any boys ever liked me at all. Now I think the short shorts were still a mistake, but I am perfectly in proportion...and I kind of understand why my first boyfriend from that era just friended me on Facebook. ;-D

I also think I want to grow my hair out long again. Boy, do I miss it!

Anyway. I have plenty of other old photos I am unearthing and laughing very hard at; some of the fashions and the hair cuts have been insanely bad over the years. But these make me smile, and they make me see myself in a whole new perspective. It's been a revelation to learn these truths about myself and my past, and my future.

15 comments:

  1. OMG, How cute are you!? How lucky you are to have those pictures. Isn't it amazing to think what tricks our memories play. Those pictures show that you were totally normal, healthy and fit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you were rockin the skinny belt way back when (plaid picture)!

    You were perfect. So cute. So normal and healthy-looking! That "tummy picture" - I remember seeing similar pics of me and thinking the same thing. Very sad what we put ourselves through at such a vulnerable age. Oh, and your hair was gorgeous! Funny, I'm thinking of growing mine out, too...we 40-somethings can do that, right?

    What a wonderful post - now you've made me want to dig out my old pictures for a closer look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am kind of dying over that plaid outfit! You were a gorgeous little girl and now, a gorgeous woman! I try to remind myself that I'll look back at pictures of myself now one day and think, "damn, I looked good back then". Haha, hopefully I'll think I look good as my unknown future self too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were such a pretty young girl!

    I starting growing my hair out again in my late 40's, to rebel against the "short hair after 40 rule". I'm now 53 and its long (midback), healthy, and sooo much FUN!! So I say...GO FOR IT! ~Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing, isn't it? When I was a kid, I was never more than 10 pounds or so overweight. I was often one of the tallest in my class, and I had skinny arms and legs. I just looked at my pudgy belly and chubby cheeks as a sign that I was fat. However, I didn't start to feel that way until I was about 6, and my mom told me that the doctor told her I was too fat and needed to be put on a diet, and it went from there.

    I didn't become significantly overweight (about 100 pounds overweight) until I was in high school. I wonder sometimes if I'd never been told I was fat in elementary school if I would've wound up so fat in high school. Being told I was fat at 6 years old pretty much scarred me for life, and it's just now that I am finally starting to break free from it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed looking at the old photos of you, thanks for sharing! You really were a gorgeous little girl, and that hasn't changed on bit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A year of therapy in a night of photo sorting! How great is that?! You could probably market your services! Just have people make appointments with you and bring a photo representing the various stages of their life....hmmmmm....maybe I'D better patent that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a revelation! Glad you shared with us and made it permanent in your blog. If you could look that thin in that plaid, you've got to BELIEVE that anything is possible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so strange to hear you say that you felt fat as a child. People used to tell me how skinny I was (hence the nickname Skinny Mini) and I always wanted to look "normal" like you, my big sister. I wonder if hearing people say how skinny I was as a kid made you feel fat. And isn't it strange that both of us are battling the pounds as adults?

    So, the message is,

    Don't talk to children about their bodies, so you don't warp their body image.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed your post.
    Sometimes the image we have in our head is not the same one everyone else sees... in my case which also seems to be yours - is that we are too critical of ourselves.
    I also look at pictures of a younger me and would kill for my old hair.
    I think it's great that you were able to see that. To know that you were wrong and that maybe you still carry that around with you.
    You maybe see a different woman than the one I see.
    The one I see looks a lot like the one in the pictures, I have recognized you in every single one!
    I dig the plaid.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful photos of you!!!

    Don't be so hard on the "present you," though. You're many things, but lazy is not one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL, look at how many of you are growing your hair out! You guys are a bad influence. :)

    Kate, I forgot all about "Skinny Minnie" but yeah, it probably did impact me. We weren't that far apart in size, but you were always called skinny and I never was. Funny, I always wanted to look like you!

    I'm glad I'm starting to figure out all this stuff now, so maybe I won't have to keep battling my weight and self-image forever. Come and do all this crap with me! We can be Skinny Minnie's together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Kristen, what a post. Thanks for sharing your photos and thoughts with is. Nice to know we all have "issues" of some kind with our past. You're absolutely right, now how do we move beyond it all?

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful discovery, Kristen, and so amazing to have that perspective. You were adorable and not even close to being chubby!

    I need to dig up some of my old pictures - you've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, Kristen, just really wanted to ask, where is that "huge and sticking out belly" in the last photo???? There are two wonderful blondes there, and none has that belly you are speaking about???!!! In fact, if I were to mention one small kind of a belly, I would probably only do that for the brunette on the right...but this is only to be sticky, thus she is also very acute teenager, like all four of you!!!

    I have to thank you for this post, too. We are almost the same age, approx. weight and body proportions, also blonde, loving dresses... ...and I am from the EU(Hungary), too! I was fighting the same problems in my childhood:-( and.. also had recently the same enlightenment ref my body image from then! :-))

    I follow your blog for almost one year now,and love your style-have also got so much inspiration from your daily outfits, too-and was preparing myself so long for leaving a comment, just haven't got the flash to do that till now, now sorry about that!:-) but kinda do not have the time for doing that regullary...
    But, there are a couple of blogs I love and check out almost daily, like your's, Sheila's, Angie's...keep on doing it!

    Have a Nice Day!
    /Lyn/

    ReplyDelete