Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Tuesday: My spring wedges come out to play!

DSC_5594

George is rather nonplussed by today's outfit. I agree, George; it's a FFBO, as Angie has coined (Fast Fall-Back Outfit), and one I have worn before. But I am having the dupa spreads = skirts shorten phenomenon occurring, which combined with nude hose makes for a little more thigh showing on a lot of dresses than I am okay with right now. This, of course, will be cured by getting back into my running routine, so this post will be a short one.

DSC_5592

Details:
Dress: Max Studio green-and-black pattern, Nordstrom Rack
Sweater: Eddie Bauer Outlet red grandpa sweater
Top: black Loft ragged-edge tee
Necklace: gold locket, J Crew Outlet
Hose: nude microfishnet, Assets by Sara Blakely, Target

The shoes are Clarks from a couple of seasons ago, but are making their blog debut. My husband and Shopping Friend don't like them much, but I am oddly drawn to them. Maybe now with nude and wedges so in, they will finally get more love! I adore the sweet, strong lines of the wedge, and the woven circle pattern on the toe adds visual interest.

DSC_5596

DSC_5598

DSC_5601

What do you guys think? Keepers?


As a quick followup to the bra-fitting post, yes Julia, I do think every woman regardless of cup size should get a fitting. They are free at any department or lingerie store, but the ladies at Nordstrom and local lingerie shops know their business a lot better than salespeople at Victoria's Secret. (Sorry, VS fans!) An annual fitting is a good idea; I have been going every time I buy new bras only because my body has been undergoing such dramatic shifts in weight, but once I settle down, once a year should be sufficient. As you age, the girls get tired -- all that fighting against gravity takes its toll -- and you will likely find your cup size expanding. Plus we don't realize how hard we are on the elastic of the bra, and it's important to replace them every six months to a year.

Seriously, if you haven't been for a while, just go. You don't need an appointment. Think of the lingerie salesladies like shoe salesman; they are there to find you the item that fits YOUR body, and they know all the technical details that ensure a good fit. So like you would a shoe guy, walk up and ask for their help. You will be glad you did!

12 comments:

  1. Well, I really particularly love the wedges with this outfit. Their slightly hippie vibe plays nicely with the corporate-seeming print in the dress.

    Thank you for the PSA regarding bra-fitting. I seriously haven't been in years. And I am definitely guilty of thinking the VS ladies know their stuff. Good tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG love those wedges! I love the seaming detail on the wedge heel, and the woven across the toe. Perfecto, whats not to like?? I would wear these to pieces if they were in my closet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those wedges are TOTALLY keepers! That cognac color goes with everything and the woven detailing is perfecto!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I need to get a proper fitting - I have a horrible time finding bras that fit me (big cups, little ribcage).

    You look lovely in this - that red cardi is awesome. Perhaps George is nonplussed by how fab you look? :)

    PS - the shoes are keepers. Ignore the haters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE those wedges! They're a great color and match everything. And since they're Clarks, they're probably pretty comfy, right? (just asking b/c I was going to order a couple pairs of Clarks sandals, and I walk pretty much everywhere so I need comfort)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got my first fitting at Nordstrom a few years ago, and it was awesome! I finally learned how a bra SHOULD fit. I haven't been back since, but I am desperately in need of new brazzeirs... so your posts are encouraging me to do it!

    And I love those shoes! I mean, they're really ugly and gross and you should probably donate them to someone with a Clarks obsession (I'm a size 9.5...).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep I need a new bra too. I got fitted once, but I've lost a chunk of weight and need to go back and get refitted. Just thinking about that this morning.

    I love those shoes. KEEPERS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shoes are keepers !
    Keepers - ignore your sales buddy and hubby ;) just for this once.
    and next time I go to Nordstrom's I WILL get a bra fitting..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keepers for sure! I love the hurache inspired detail and the shape of the wedge. You are much better than I am about bra fittings. I am waiting until I reach goal to get one, but my nearest Nordie's is an hour and a half away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll stay quiet on the shoes since you totally called me out on them (and sold R out as well!).

    For those of you that are in the Chicagoland area, Betty Schwartz's in Highland Park is a great place to go for bra fittings. The ladies know their stuff, are not shy about giving you their opinion and they can find anything you are looking for. I've done Nordstrom as well, Schwartz's is just a different experience. And not so overwhelming as a department store.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, K, I didn't sell either of you out! You both have an opinion of them that is different from mine, and I wanted to see how crazy I was for liking them when you have both been so vehement about them. Turns out, not as crazy as I thought!

    I like Betty Schwartz's too -- those women know their stuff cold -- but I don't like the way they keep all of their bras in the back with nothing to browse. I always feel like they are just giving me the ugly industrial bras, not something pretty and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the shoes Kristen. A little more casual than some, but hopefully comfy!!!

    ReplyDelete