Tuesday, September 15, 2009

DEATHMATCH: Purple and Brown Pattern Dress

Well, the people have spoken in both previous DEATHMATCHES! Looks like both grey sheath dresses are keepers(yay!), and the cocoa-and-black Marshalls dress is going back (sniffle). Let's see if it will have any company on the return trip to the store...

Today's DEATHMATCH is really more of a "please, Ma, can I keep them both?" question. The first dress, after all, is one I've been wearing for weeks already, and obviously will not be returned.

1. Michael Kors brown-purple-mustard knit dress, Macys

DSC_4140

Of course, you've seen this several times with a variety of sweaters; it's going to serve me well through the fall as I add in tights and boots and more layers. This is exactly the kind of canvas dress that I love. I would be perfectly content if my closet were filled with nothing but dresses like this, that I could style a different way every time I wore it.

DSC_4089
DSC_4091
DSC_3823
DSC_3766

Which may be why I was drawn to its doppelganger.

Dress #2: Muse brown-and-purple jersey dress, Marshalls

DSC_4142

When Hubby saw the other dresses I bought, including the cocoa-and-black one, he declared them all "cute" and thought I should keep them because they were different enough from what I already had. But he saw this one and said it was the same as Dress #1. Which I know is probably correct, but look at the pattern!

DSC_4144

This one seems a little subtler than #1, a little dressier, in a weird way. Plus, it's exactly the dress that would work with the heather tan boyfriend cardigan I got at AT a couple of weeks ago and have been debating keeping or returning. See?

DSC_4145

Yeah. I need help. I have no perspective on this one. At this point I am tempted just to tear the tags off and wear it today so you can't tell me to return it, but then I remember I have an order coming in from Target in a day or two and there will soon be a number of new dresses filling my closet for the fall. Plus, I promised Angie at YLF that I would wear the CE dress today, and I know she's going to hold me to that!

So...give it to me straight. Is this second one a keeper?




Hope you've enjoyed the DEATHMATCHES; I've enjoyed throwing them! There will be at least one more (a battle of two red ponte knit dresses) and possibly more as I realize how many of the incoming Target dresses are copycats of current dresses. (Man, I am so sad.)

6 comments:

  1. I like both! The patterns and sleeves are different enough that I think they are both unique dresses, and you wouldn't wear them with most of the same cardigans or jackets, either.

    (You're making me think that I need to make a visit to Marshalls again one of these days to see if my local store's dress inventory is as good as yours!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a dress junkie, girl! :) I love this one - the pattern could easily go with more formal accessories, whereas the other is much more casual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both dresses but I think I like the second dress better!! Can't wait to see you wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like both dresses for different reasons. Personally, I've been itching for a three quarter sleeve dress lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you love the boots, however, they are not doing the dresses justice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! I am so glad everyone is liking the second dress. I'm keeping it!

    Anon, I agree, in seeing all the photos with the boots, I am not loving them with the dresses. This is a big problem, because I bought those boots to wear with dresses and jeans. So I think you are going to have to help me pick out a more suitable pair. :)

    ReplyDelete