Sunday, August 3, 2014

I Hate My Closet, Part 2 (or how I found some better necklines and colors)

In my last post, I bemoaned the limited options for me in plus-size clothing, especially the dreaded fat-girl neckline. (HATE SO MUCH.) My closet was narrowed to black pants, oversized blouses or cascading cardigans, and black sneakers.

I tried to make my peace with it. I really did. I told myself that I was chic for wearing neutrals, that wearing all-black was something millions of women did intentionally, that the colors of the season (blush pink and mint) were unflattering on me anyway.

Then I lost 12 pounds and none of my clothes fit.

Even better, suddenly I could fit into the XXL and XL of the regular stores. I wasn't just limited to the plus-size stores and departments.

The first thing I did was pick up a half-dozen vintage and slub style vee-necks from Old Navy. On sale at 5 bucks a pop, suddenly I had tees to wear at the park. Baby pink, fuschia, teal, peach, striped pinks -- they were bright and fun and perfect for early summer.


Next I tripped over some cute mid-sleeve knit tees at Talbots. I happened to walk through the store after a haircut at the mall a few weeks ago, and sorted through the sale rack. Their regular prices are not in line with the value of the items, in my opinion, but at the sale price I was willing to go for it. The striped top was so adorable I actually wore it out of the store. I grabbed a white boatneck tee in a really soft cotton while I was at it.

(Mine is in a summery-color pattern, blues and pinks and greens.)

Next up I hit Lands End: their knit shorts are my go-to item every summer, and I had the spectrum of sizes that were no good anymore. I got the basic navy, black and brown, of course, and then added white, blue polka-dot and raspberry.


They were having a fantastic sale on their cotton sweaters too, and since the summer has been pretty cool, I snapped a bunch up in blush, purple, coral pink, and a great pink-and-red windowpane pattern. I get so many compliments on that one! Their sweaters are great because they keep their shape and often look sharper than a blazer.


My Kut from the Kloth boyfriend jeans from Nordstrom also made a return appearance, in both the larger and smaller sizes. Thanks to a slew of gift cards and Nordstrom notes, I also just added these in white to my collection too. They'll arrive next week.


Last was a surprise trip back to Old Navy, thanks to a tip from Corporette. There was a great boatneck stretch-cotton top with elbow-length sleeves that just work fantastic as work tops, under jackets or as stand-alones. I got it in black, hot pink, and cream-and-pink stripe.


Such a great relief after all those months of fat-girl neckline!

After all that, I didn't hate my closet anymore. There are fun colors and pieces for casual, and plenty for work too. There's a lot of pink, which is one of my favorite colors and has been missing from my closet for too long. I feel excited when I open up my closet to get ready for work; I've missed that too!

Plus Goodwill got a few bags of clothes, including many of my beloved shoes and sandals. But that's a post for another day. (Spoiler alert: I bought more shoes.) 

It was interesting to shop in a big burst instead of the steady stream of shopping I had done in the past. I liked it -- I made my decisions pretty quickly, and then incorporated it into my wardrobe. Because I hadn't even been browsing sites, everything looked fresh to me -- but I didn't get overwhelmed by choices. I knew the colors and shapes I wanted, and I found them pretty easily. 

Speaking of quick, decisive shopping, I needed a dress to wear for a night downtown yesterday -- we were celebrating a friend's birthday and my cousin's first trip to Chicago, so we did a nice dinner at an Italian tapas place, and then we watched a fireworks display on a night cruise out on Lake Michigan. I stopped at Target for some other groceries, and found the cutest sleeveless striped fit-and-flare dress (with pockets!) on the clearance rack. $19 bucks later, I had a new dress!



P.S. We had a fabulous time watching the fireworks. If you are ever in Chicago on a Saturday night in the summer, I highly recommend you go. It's magical.





Everything on is new within the last six months: Lands End purple cardigan, blue floral necklace from J Crew Outlet, black-patterned canvas wristlet from LOFT, tangerine Fitbit. :)

P.P.S I got a new hat too!




10 comments:

  1. Cute dress, Kristen!
    Yay for your revitalized closet!
    Cute windowpane cardi.
    Ya gotta love Nordstrom notes. I look forward to your shoe post. Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to see you in this mode! You've given me such great ideas for shopping in the past and here you are again. I am terrible at buying new things when I'm a size I don't want to be but you show right here just how great and inexpensive a new wardrobe can be if you just look around a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurray for regular sizes! I love the Old Navy vintage t. This is a great reminder that I need to stock up.

    And that Target dress is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun - I'm so glad you got your shopping/dressing mojo back, because you always inspire me to put a little more pizzazz into my outfits. Your new stuff is colorful and cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you are BACK...Great outfits and suggestions..Love your photography...sounds like fun in downtown Chicago...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love to read you're back in the fashion game. I, on the other hand, would be thrilled for a school uniform. If the kids won't wear a uniform, this teacher would love it:). More pics of fashion diva Abby, please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look fabulous:-), Kristen, can't wait to see your new wardrobe in more details! So, glad you're back! I missed You! Hugs, lyn67

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a happy end of summer!
    I thought you'd just gone to Instagrams only.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So good to "hear" from you Kristen ! I see that not only did you go on a shopping spree to fill the gaps in the closet but also had time to do some closet editing.
    I hope we will be able to see you wear and style the new purchases, specially the pink garments you like so much :)

    ReplyDelete