Monday, April 1, 2013

No foolin'

IMG_6287

We are outside again! Finally warming up enough to shoot in natural light, hurray. So, you know, enjoy the shots of our electric meter. :)

IMG_6284

The jacket was a Gwynnie Bee surprise; I have over 40 items in my virtual closet so I never know what they are going to send me. This python print faux-suede number was a great transition piece for spring, light and fun and fitted. I added a dark green LOFT tee, a multi-metallic circle necklace, and my usual Gap modern bootcuts.

The snow was nearly melted on the patio, which made my husband's latest folly that much more visible. He had purchased a new kind of birdseed for the feeder (flamingos aren't the only birds who hang out on our patio) and discovered, to his dismay, that the birds did not like it. Specifically, they did not like the black seeds that comprised 70% of the mix.

The birds hated the black seed so much they actually spit it out and separated it from the rest of the seed that they did eat. They left PILES of it underneath the feeder.

I am not exaggerating.

IMG_6288

IMG_6290

So now he has to figure out how to clean it all up when the last of the snow is gone. In the meantime, even the flamingos are staying away from the feeder. Hee!

IMG_6294

ANYWAY.

This was my favorite outfit of last week. So much so, I wore it twice. :)

IMG_6280

First off, it has my new Longchamp nylon purse, which I am LOVING. The size, weight, durability, and style are exactly what I was looking for in a spring purse, and best of all the sensible look of it is fitting well in my revamped-and-returned "Yalie" look, as Jessie called it.

The real appeal of this outfit, to me, is the simplicity. I was meeting Shopping Friend for wedding-shoe shopping, and I could not find an outfit that was working; I kept trying all these color combinations, and either the shirt showed off too much muffin top, or the sweater was too heavy, or I just looked awful. Then I looked at the combinations I was struggling with, and it occurred to me that I was making  it too hard; my perfect tee, in black, would work just fine. As soon as I put it on and saw how it made the striped sweater pop all on its own, it occurred to me that I had never worn this sweater with a neutral top before. Never. I have no idea what I was waiting for!

The black top gave all the other other elements of the outfit a chance to really shine, in every way.

My hair looked blonder against it.

IMG_1006

The cozy ribbed texture of the sweater stood out more.

IMG_1008

My beloved embellished animal print Sam Edelman flats got a chance to roar.

IMG_1009

My pretty circle pendant from LOFT Outlet shone the most against the neutral background.

IMG_1011

Sadly, this was the last wearing of this necklace; it wasn't well-made (no surprise since it was an outlet piece), and the clasp linking the circles to the chain finally gave up the ghost the next day. So it's been "edited" (i.e. thrown away), but it will be fondly remembered!

No jokes or pranks here, but I hope you guys have a good April Fools Day. I always dread this day because it turns out I am super-gullible. Maybe this year I should keep count how many pranks I fall for...


8 comments:

  1. What a bunch of snotty birds - rejecting FREE FOOD like that! LOL - reminds me of a corncob feeder thing we bought...it was for birds, but they wouldn't have anything to do with it. Eventually the squirrels finally ate it. Sheesh - you can't please wild animals!!!

    Love your outfits and the sass that came with them - don't you just love having clothes that make you feel great?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, sad about the necklace because it was really a cool piece.

    I agree with Shelley, what is UP with wildlife these days?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kristen, that sweater is super cute and even better for the closeup showing its texture. About the niger seed, I know that birds won't eat it if it is dried out or moldy, BUT they also pick the seed out and thriw the shell on the ground, so maybe that is all empty shell debris?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OHHHHH! Thanks for the info about niger seed -- I will be informing my husband about this. Hahaha, if it just the shells I am going to laugh even harder at him. He is so mad for buying this brand; he thought they would love it. :)

      Delete
  4. I got hit with one April Fool's joke today - I totally bought it!

    Love that first jacket - it's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't totally tell from the picture, but are the black "seeds" actually the outer part of the sunflower seed? The birds sit, crack them open, and then spit out the hull. I have tons of bird feeders and end up just using "patio mix" on the patio. "Patio mix" is sunflower seeds that are already shelled - more expensive, but no mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Kim, Roberta had the same suggestion! I am going to let my husband investigate -- it probably is the shells. Which is pretty hilarious!

      Delete
  6. Yalie, I know you're all jazzed about your stripey sweater look, but that python jacket with the green tee kicked ass. I think you look great in those teal/greens.

    The birdseed thing still makes me laugh. Criminey.

    ReplyDelete