Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My (not so) secret friends


IMG_5900

Hello, strangers! Found a new place to take indoors photos for the winter months -- Hubby finally cleaned out the basement enough that there is some blank spaces of wall for me to use. So here I am!

The top is one of my new Lane Bryant purchases, one I got with my sister on my Christmas trip. We both had a good time shopping together, and I am sure she will pleased to see that I did actually buy something for myself too (I was a good Santa to her there, LOL). It's a snakeprint in grey and black, sorry I didn't get a closer shot. I added my beloved short-sleeved LOFT sweater to it, just to add a minor layer, a pair of medium-faded Old Navy Dreamer jeans, and my silver Privos sneakers.

Perfect outfit for bumming around on the weekend, I thought. Not too lazy, not too casual.

Monday, I went to work.

IMG_5903

The key top is from Gwynnie Bee. I wasn't sure if I would like a peplum tunic top on me, but it turned out to be awesome. I am keeping it for a second wearing, maybe for a casual look this weekend. The pants are Gap modern bootcuts, and the shoes are my new Clarks booties.

IMG_5908

So, um, have I ever told you guys that I own mannequins? I can't remember if this ever came up before.

As long as I am telling you about them, I should tell you that I own two.

IMG_5910
(When you are a size 20, it is never a good idea to stand next to a size 0. Just sayin'.)

I got them from Forth & Towne years ago. As we were closing the store down, my boss asked me to bring my camera and get photos of everyone. I did get some incredible photos of everyone, but I also became obsessed with taking photos of the displays and mannequins as they piled up, and the store itself. It was a gorgeous, elegant store.

IMG_1019

IMG_1033

IMG_1409

IMG_1452

IMG_1486a

We sold bubble necklaces years before J Crew. :)

IMG_1589a

As a photo subject, I could not resist the mannequins.

IMG_1585


IMG_1533

IMG_1873a

"Thanks for coming. I've called this meeting to plan our escape..."

IMG_1880

Or the empty space. Seriously, it was a stunningly beautiful store.

IMG_1884

IMG_2231

IMG_1888

Each dressing room was uniquely decorated, with a vanity and stool.

IMG_1894

IMG_2002

Everyone had fun with mannequins. In the end I had to buy a couple of my own. $20 each, what a deal!

IMG_1950

I put some clothes on her once I got home. The sitting one stayed in the backseat of my car for years, causing much mayhem and laughter as drivers passed me on the roads. :)

IMG_1975

But in the end, they have been relegated to my basement. I've purged lots of things, but I can't get rid of them. They hold such fond memories for me of a special time in my life, working with really lovely people in a gorgeous place. That's where I met Shopping Friend, for goodness' sake -- and I'm standing up in her wedding in a few months. The mannequins will always remind me of her too, and everyone else from Forth & Towne.

IMG_2213

I miss you guys!

I think I might need to move the mannequins around in the basement so they can be in more pictures. Hubby moved the standing one over by his new workbench, and dressed her in his fishing straw hat and his high school tennis shirt, and ---

IMG_5912

-- hey, she's not wearing any pants!

;-D




11 comments:

  1. Hahaha! This post cracked me up. At first I thought they were alittle creepy, but they're growing on me.

    It was fun to see the pics of the store. I'm sure it was very sad when it closed. Remind me--was this around the time you began to be interested in fashion?

    So funny that you drove around with a mannequin for years! They've made for some interesting photos! My fave is the meeting (of the minds--oh, wait!)

    Do they have names? Because they probably need names if they will be showing up in posts from time to time.

    Do you move them around n stuff to make hubby laugh?

    I like your outfits; esp the key one. Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post!
    Love your mannequin friends....although your seated friend is just so "un-ladylike" Hahaha.!!!! I would have purchased a couple also! As long as they don't have heads, I'm ok with mannequins.

    The key top is so pretty....must have been hard to send it back; it looked great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Regardless of your current size I vote to have the mannequins in your photos with you. So much fun.

    I love that top. I've never thought a peplum would look good on me either because if my pot belly but now you've got me wanting to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the mannequins and I would have totally snatched up a few too. I use to work at Express and managed to snag a clear mannequin arm - I painted its nails and store bracelets on it. So fun!

    Also, adore that key top! It would be hard to mail that one back even after a few wearings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I worked at Fairweather (a mall store in Canada that was "the" place for really beautiful work clothes for mid-20s to mid-40s - no longer exists *sigh*), we closed out the store that I worked at. We sold two giant gold women (complete with moulded 80s faces and broad-brimmed hats!) for $100 apiece, and two giant marble tables for $100 each. Crazy. I miss that store, and the people I worked with.

    Thanks for the visit and for the memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you've found your 2013 "thing" for the blog - the mannequin friends! They are fun - and I adore that you drive around with the one in your back seat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope she'll get some pants for her next appearance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you drove around with the one in your backseat. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm here through Shelley and Helen and oh my gosh I should have come here sooner, I love looking at outfits people wear with a special addiction to shoes. Seeing this reminds me I need to start taking pictures of my own outfits again too.

    I have read a couple of your previous posts and I like it a lot. See you are turning 45 in March, I will be joining you in May.

    I'll be back for more. If you like, you are welcome to visit my blog someday www.dutchgirlgetshealthy.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. DOn't you look nice in those jeans ?
    and YES the peplum top works. I love the key print, you look so good - Go Kristen!
    Don't get rid of the mannequins, i love mannequins, I would have bought some too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also loved Forth and Towne and still mourn its closing all these years later. I feel like Gap never gave the store a fighting chance...no publicity on the store/brand and most women never knew it existed. It would be wonderful to have a store like that now, classic well made clothes that were reasonable and met both casual and work needs.

    ReplyDelete