So let's start with Friday.
Reduced to snapping photos in the bedroom mirror, UGH. But I loved this outfit, simple but still with a little zip. The blouse is from Gwynnie Bee, which I am LOVING. It is Netflix for clothes, and best of all, for clothes for plus-sized girls. I signed up for the 2-piece out at once deal, and I am busily rotating through them as fast as I can. I've had a few bobbles, mostly my own fault for not looking at the measurements closely and ordering something too big, but their customer service is absolutely the best I have ever experienced from a store, ever. EVER.
This one was a Style&Co layering top. The drape was excellent, the color a nice cobalt, and it added just the right punch I needed to my outfit. I liked it so much I repeated it on Saturday.
If you are interested in signing up for Gywnnie Bee, leave a comment with your email and I will send you an invite. (Disclaimer: the referral option does net me a free month.) I know a layering top isn't the most exciting promotion for a new service, but I am actually finding I like the subtler pieces best because they work so well with my closet, thus expanding the usage of what I already have without having to buy anything else. I've learned so far that I am a sucker for the draped neck tops. Love 'em!
Here are some of the pieces I have either coming to me or that I have added to my closet for them to send to me.
Back to the weekend! Sunday I went food shopping with my girlfriend J. We hit the Sunday farmer's market (one more to go before it is closed for the year, alas), and my favorite grocery store, Tony's Finer Foods.
Brussels sprouts! Still on the stalk!!
I had to get them.
Teeheehee. And this was my outfit for most of Sunday. New brown Target cardigan which breathed new life into a pink Gap v-neck tee and an infinity scarf. But I know you are just looking at my Brussels sprouts stalk.
Here, I removed the distraction. :)
Over at Tony's, there were many other equally mind-boggling foods, but these I managed not to buy.
For instance, fresh olives. Yes, FRESH. I don't even know, do you?
I want to try artichokes but it seems like a lot of work for very little payoff.
Chinese long beans. I barely like regular green beans, these seem like three times more.
My curiosity did finally get the better of me, so I bought two cactus pears. Then my friends had a random email conversation today that included this tidbit from Wikipedia:
The fruit of prickly pears, commonly called cactus fruit, cactus fig, Indian[6] fig or tuna in Spanish,[7] is edible, although it has to be peeled carefully to remove the small spines on the outer skin before consumption. If the outer layer is not properly removed, glochids can be ingested, causing discomfort of the throat, lips, and tongue, as the small spines are easily lodged in the skin.
"Glochids from prickly pears (Opuntia species) can cause an extremely pruritic, papular eruption called sabra dermatitis, which can easily be confused with scabies or fiberglass dermatitis."
Sooo...I will probably be throwing them away uneaten. I am not that brave!
Persimmons. Maybe I should try one of these while I wait for orange season to start.
Anyway, after all that we went to a sweet little breakfast joint near the market. I indulged in "potatoes Benedict" which were eggs Benedict over potato pancakes. Yummy, especially because the hollandaise was a nice light version instead of the usual congealed mess it can be.
Aaaaand that was my weekend. How was yours?
FYI: Most of your pictures say "currently unavailable"
ReplyDeleteLove the fresh market veggie pictures!
ReplyDeleteNo pictures? :(
ReplyDeleteARGH!!! I have a question into Flickr -- I don't know why the URLs are changing on the links. But I am fixing now!
ReplyDeleteI grew up eating artichokes and really like them, it just seems like they are so darn expensive these days! I swear, they were 4 for $1 years ago, and now I can't seem to find them for under something crazy, like $3 each. Holy cow, I had no idea Brussels sprouts grew like that!
ReplyDeleteLove the new brown cardigan!
LOVE the Saturday outfit. Those colors are totally me. Gwynnie Bee is a really interesting concept... so you wear the clothes for up to a month then send them back?
ReplyDeleteBeing the foodie I am, I also appreciate all those good looking food pics. My goodness what a great market!
I tried an artichoke once. It was definitely a lot of work for very little reward. Better to buy the jarred ones. As for the prickly pear, I've never had a fresh one, but have had dishes made with prickly pear, and it is SO yummy! If we could find prickly pear here in the middle of Kansas, I'd buy some!
ReplyDeleteLove the infinity scarf, btw!
The pink and brown outfit is so pretty! And what a cool concept with the clothing rental! You are going to have fun with that, I can tell already. :)
ReplyDeleteI've never tried a persimmon. And I cracked up at your take on the Chinese long beans - probably the right assessment, even though they look fun.
Eggs benedict is my favorite breakfast ever. I wish I could make it at home, but poaching eggs is something I just don't understand. =(
ReplyDeleteYay,, now all the pics are here!
ReplyDeleteCute cardi & scarf.
Like Netflix, but clothes? This sounds very interesting. Please do tell us more.
ReplyDelete