Monday, October 15, 2012

Windy Weekend

It was a windy, rainy, cool weekend. I'm not gonna lie, I loved it. Bad weather keeps people indoors, so I was able to zip through my errands and weekly shopping with few hassles. Even the post office was a breeze!

It also gave us the excuse to be lazy, to stay in and watch "Up" for the first time (God bless AppleTV and their many closed-captioned options, way more than Netflix). I did stock up on squash at the last farmer's market of the season, but the laziness extended itself into skipping weekly cooking too. It's squash, it will keep! (More to come on that later this week. Gotta save my blog topics up now that I am trying to do them daily again. Heh.)

IMG_5349

With the closet re-organization, I am making a concerted effort to wear items that used to be buried in drawers or in the back of the closet. This knit bubble-hem top, with a purple and grey speckled pattern, is an Old Navy impulse purchase that has only gotten a couple of wears and lived underneath my other long-sleeved layering tops in a drawer. Since it is really a centerpiece top and not a layering one (meaning it works as the main part of an outfit, not just underneath a sweater to fill out the arms or neck) I hung it up in the New Closet where it catches my eye as an outfit option. I really liked pairing it with a grey super-soft Target cardigan of the same light hue; it muted the pattern and colors so they looked more sweet instead of zany.

The shoes are a new purchase from Clarks; I have needed a new pair of casual walking shoes for a while, and I really just love the look of those elastic-lace ones from Privo. They're still *sneakers* but they're nicer and more stylish than white running shoes, that's for sure. (Assuming you find ones that aren't frumpy or impractical, which isn't as easy as it should be!) I have a pair in purple from several years ago, but they are kind of wide and often look like duck boots under jeans. These were much better!


Privo "Pursuit Happiness" style. They felt like mine the second I put them on. I didn't take them off all weekend!

Sunday was super-casual; I solved the wind problem by pulling my hair back. And I wasn't kidding about wearing the Privos all weekend!

IMG_5353

I wore a color-blocked short-sleeved sweatshirt I picked up at Old Navy and have been enjoying this summer, but with the cool weather I added a cobalt blue long-sleeved layering top under it. Messy and casual, which is what I was going for. :) They're not all fashionista outfits!

See what I meant about the wind?

IMG_5351


What did you guys do this weekend?


5 comments:

  1. I have a similar pair of Clarks, mine have a green stripe. They're better looking in town than Nikes, and nearly as comfortable. Well, maybe not totally as comfortable, but you get the idea!

    Considering that one mostly hacks squash in half and bakes it I'd say that was a pretty lazy weekend :) I baked a pumpkin with red wine, and I'm not sure I like it very well. Probably I should have either stuck with brown sugar or have settled in for some TV watching that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Old Navy top! I love Clark shoes so those "sneakers" would be a wonderful option for me! AHHHH...the wind.....always blowing here in Minnesota too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got dressed up more than me on Sunday LOL! My outfit consisted of capri length yoga pants (to accommodate the boot), a long-sleeved yoga shirt, which eventually got changed to a short sleeved t-shirt as I was too hot, and my Orthaheel slippers. No makeup, hair in pony.

    Loving the new shoes - now that's what I call a nice casual shoe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wellllllllll. Since you asked...... I made two trips to a church rummage sale up the road from us. The second to pick up a wooden table that hadn't sold the previous day and that was set aside for us - FREE! While there, I filled a $2 bag with all sorts of goodies.

    And I DID cook a squash. In my crockpot. After the first serviing, I pureed it in the blender and added it to some left over chili. (Added a little tomato juice, etc.) SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen,

    Those shoes are the coolest walking shoes I have ever seen! I don't think I have ever considered a walking shoe "pretty", but these are definitely pretty. You are looking good Kristen.
    Love the windy hair in the face photo! Seems like we have had a really windy few months in the Midwest!

    ReplyDelete