Local Beet said to set the temperature to 200 degrees, then stick them in for 8-12 hours, unattended. The problem was I took that "unattended" thing too literally, and I let them stay in the whole 12 hours. (In my defense, I was out for the afternoon during the key end time, so I didn't check on them at all.)
They ended up way too dry. A few crumbled to powder in my hand.
So I was out 79 cents. Lesson learned!
The next batch I used the cherry tomatoes from my Dad's garden. I really did not want to ruin these, and they were even smaller than the cocktails, so at about the 6 hour mark I checked on them. They had shrunken quite a bit, but all of them still had pockets of moisture on their bottoms. Every hour after that I checked again. At hour 8, many of the smaller tomatoes were ready (dried but still soft and chewy looking), so I pulled those out and let the rest keep drying. An hour later, they were all done.
Looking forward to using them in frittatas, salads, and maybe a sauce.
Another lovely treat I've been enjoying this summer has been frog jam.
Yes, you read that right.
I picked up a jar in New Buffalo this summer, and I am IN LOVE. Way better than plum butter, and even the blackberry jam I got at the farmer's market earlier in the summer.
It isn't made of frogs, thank goodness. But can you guess the ingredients?
Figs - raspberries - orange peel - ginger. F-R-O-G, teehee.
It is F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C. It's raspberry, but with richer, sharper notes from the figs and ginger, and a nice burst from the orange peel at the end. I am definitely going to be looking for this again next year. (Or my next visit to the New Buffalo area.)
Despite all the lovely food photos I have taken this summer, I actually haven't been that good at maintaining the foodstyle; I've skipped more than a couple of Sunday Cooking sessions, especially as the summer waned, and I was pretty bad about bringing in lunches on a daily basis. That said, when I did do it, I ate really well. My goal this fall is just to do it more often.
PB&frog jam sandwich, yogurt, blackberries, and Mom's bread and butter pickles. Easiest lunch ever!
Drier's ham salad sandwich, deviled egg salad, black bean and corn salad, blacberries, and a handful of snack mix. This was leftovers from the vacation. :)
Kale frittata, blue cheese coleslaw, yogurt and watermelon.
One of my favorite grilled meals of the summer: portabello swiss sausages, pineapple, and onions. We ate this and our turkey-bacon wrapped chicken thighs most often on the grill this year.
Pretty table set during my parent's visit. Hmm, maybe we should eat at the table more this fall...
What was your favorite foodstuff this summer?
I love the simplicity of that table. I THINK I've had frog jam and am happy for the reminder. I want to dry some tomatoes.
ReplyDeleteCan you tell I'm ignoring the "favorite foodstuff...summer" question? I WISH I'd been more intentional. But I'm living in the moment right now and have already enjoyed a couple of soups with a plan to make another for a small gathering of ladies on Friday.....
Love the easy Bento lunch. I did end up buying a Bento and a Mr. Bento after you talked about them awhile ago. I really love them.
ReplyDeleteThe tomatoes look delicious; I was wondering how you would store them and how long they last.
I suppose all the fresh produce would be my favorite. I just love cooking vegetables on the grill. Simple and fresh tasting. Other than that, we aren't too fancy in the summer - lots and lots of grilled meats and veggies.
ReplyDeleteNow that the weather is cooling I'm finding myself getting back into my Saturday or Sunday cooking sessions more. Funny how I can't wait to have a break from them but after a summer of grilling on the fly, I'm glad to go back to more intense menu planning.
My mom makes her own sun dried tomatoes and loves them - I should give it a try.
ReplyDeleteYour Fiestaware looks so pretty, and I'm only a little bothered by the one lime green plate amid all the red. ;)
I have a bunch of tomatoes I'm not sure what to do with. What a great idea!
ReplyDeleteEmilie
live.eat.smile.
I never thought of organizing the three smaller containers like you did in those first two bento photos. I'll have to try that.
ReplyDeleteI can imagine forgetting them would be easy.
ReplyDeleteI just used the last of the container I bought, for $4.99. Even with a .79 disaster you came out ahead. No seasonings?
Those lunches look good. I'll bet Mom's pickles don't hang around too long.
I freaked out a little when i read Frog Jam - then i read further.... :)
ReplyDeleteI cannot imagine having tomatoes in the over for that long!