(My Thanksgiving haul 2011.)
I love grocery shopping.
I always have; I take after my father that way. He always has a running list of what is needed, written on these small white pads we call "Dad pads". He has one next to his spot on the kitchen table, in his car, in his office by his computer, etc. My whole life, I have rarely seen my Dad without his Dad pad nearby. He keeps track of errands, groceries, anything he is working on; when it is time for groceries he reads through the circulars and jots down what is for sale, then goes through his coupons and tucks the ones he will use under a couple of sheets of the pad. By the time he gets to the store, he doesn't need to consult his pad much, and he knows the layout of the store so he can make quick work of gathering his items in the cart.
Maybe I don't love grocery shopping as much as I love my Dad's efficiency at it. Or I maybe I just love them both. :)
I don't clip coupons or read the circulars before I shop, but I do make my list on my own Dad pad (available at Staples, he tells me), dividing out which store carries what so I can get the better quality or the brand we like. Jewel has my Dannon yogurt and Hubby's granola, Tony's has great inexpensive vegetables and fruits, Whole Foods is the only grocery where I buy our meats, Harrison's for chicken if I can get there, and so forth.
When I have a long list, I try to hit the grocery circuit on Saturday mornings before it gets busy, as one of the benefits of being an early riser. Lately, my list has been relatively short, and it occurred to me this weekend that that is a function of being as efficient as my Dad. Every week before I start Sunday Cooking, I freeze up any leftovers from the previous week, and when I shop, I often stock up on an item we don't use right away but that can last in my cupboard or freezer until I am ready to use it. So all I am buying these days are the fresh items to supplement what I already have waiting to go.
For example, this week's groceries included:
Fresh produce: grapes, lettuce, butternut squash, bananas
Canned produce: black beans, diced tomatoes, corn
Dairy: yogurt, organic skim milk, string cheese
Bread: whole wheat English muffins, Natural Ovens whole wheat bread (I am on the hunt for a new chewy whole wheat bread, this one might be the keeper)
Groceries: granola bars, WW ice cream bars, coffee, fatfree evaporated milk, cornstarch, center cut bacon
On Sunday, that turned into food for the week:
-Spicy Black Bean Vegetable Soup (with tomatoes and corn)
-roasted spaghetti squash with homemade sauce (turkey meatballs to be purchased at Trader Joe's because I ran out of my supply; after many taste tests, I have concluded TJ's has the best turkey meatballs)
-Bacon Pumpkin Pasta (made with whole wheat pasta and canned pumpkin)
-sauteed chicken thighs for salads
-roasted carrots and butternut squash for a soup I am making on Tuesday or Wednesday
I had the spaghetti squash, carrots, frozen chicken thighs, pumpkin, pasta and sauce all at home, and it was time to use them up.
This was Monday's lunch:
I love the black bean soup, but it doesn't keep me full all day, so I added some string cheese and a granola bar to tide me over. It worked!
My remaining challenge with Sunday Cooking has been making it last all week; we start off so well, bee-lining straight into the kitchen when we get home late on Monday and Tuesday, happily reheating what is there. But by Thursday, we're bored and stressed and in no mood to cook anything, and out comes the frozen pizza (dangerous, but I am afraid of the alternative if we don't have it available) or we order one (the more dangerous alternative). Then Friday is usually a wash, and Saturday is junk food while we are out and about, and in the end we have only eaten healthy food four days out of seven.
I need to break that cycle, but I am not sure how. Maybe I will put off the spaghetti squash/sauce meal until Thursday so I can have the flavors of pizza without the calories...
Any other thoughts?
+++++
P.S. Happy Belated Birthday, Dad! And thanks for teaching me to love grocery shopping. :)
(Last year, Dad opening his (mostly a joke) birthday gift of bologna and Whoppers. He was pretty delighted about it; I am not kidding about him being a grocery nerd!)
Hi!
ReplyDeleteI've been following your blog for a few months but this is my first comment, so I'll start with a hello!
I especially love reading your Sunday cooking columns because I try to cook ahead of time also. My only advice is that I try to put together a few casseroles that I can freeze (turkey pot pies, penne with tomato sauce and broccoli rabe, quiches, etc.) and those will last longer than a week and can just be popped into the oven frozen. I usually make a few at a time so there's variety from week to week.
Again, I love your cooking columns and have gotten lots of good ideas from reading your blog!
Aww, thank you! Hello to you too.
DeleteI love the idea of freezing a casserole; I'm a master at freezing soups, sauces and some meats, but I think that will be my next step. Thank you for the tip!
Sweet post - so funny what we see about our parents - love the "Dad's Pad"!
ReplyDeleteYou do so well with your cooking and healthy eating for most of the week that it's a shame to negate it with a few days of less-than-stellar eating. If you're too tired to cook, what about picking up something healthy on your way home - we have a couple of really good salad places that would beat the pants off of most pizzas...
Pick-up of something healthy is a really good idea; my sister also recommended in email that I go grocery shopping on Thursdays and buy something healthy and a little pricey so I am sure to eat it. I think I might start going to Whole Foods on that night and get myself a salad and whatever Hubby wants; as I said to him, "That way, even if we wanted pizza, it would be a SLICE of pizza, not a WHOLE pizza." He agreed it would be a smart idea for us.
DeleteMy dear Kristen,
ReplyDeleteWhen will this year's Whoppers arrive ? I am glad that we do not have to execute the weekend cooking thing. That is one benefit of retirement ! 14 years BTW.
Love, Dad
Hahahahahahahaha! You're the best, Dad.
DeleteOMG! How cute that your dad posted as Anonymous! Very cute picture of you and your dad. I hate planning or even any food shopping, but I do LOVE to eat. Yes it's an oxy-moron:)
ReplyDeleteVery cute post!
Isn't he hilarious? :) Thanks!
DeleteThat's a very orderly freezer. I have to close the door on mine fast or stuff comes tumbling out.
ReplyDeleteWe have frozen pizza on Thursday too.
If I'm feeling culinary I mix up a package of pizza dough and top it with whatever. Otherwise it's some kind of thin-crust.
That's not even a recent pic. It's much fuller now, but still pretty orderly. I'm kind of nuts that way.
DeleteGlad I am not alone on the weekly pizza! :)