Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sunday Cooking: Every Pot in the House

This week's cooking didn't seem overly ambitious when I started. Chicken noodle soup, quiche, roasted Brussels sprouts, and some stuffed potatoes.

Somehow I ended up using every pot in the house, and many of them twice. I cooked for over 6 hours. I've made Thanksgiving dinners in less time!

I started early in the morning with the soup. It turned out to be the easiest to make, since everything stayed in my one stockpot. This recipe was very good, but in future variations I will a) season the chicken before I add it to boil, and b) add salt way, way earlier. I ended up having to put in much more than I normally would have, and it still was pretty bland until I added some smoky seasoned salt.



There is about an hour-long period while the chicken (on the bone) simmers in the pot, so during then I cooked bacon in the oven (2 jelly roll pans) and carmelized thinly-sliced onions (julienne slicer and small saute pan).

Took the chicken out of the pot, and added egg noodles to boil. Shredded the chicken off the bone. Started the salt seasoning and put the chicken back into the soup. Let simmer for a while longer while I washed more dishes.

Took a break. For several hours.

Returned to kitchen and put potatoes and sweet potatoes in the oven to bake for an hour. Hubby prepped the Brussels sprouts for roasting while I sauteed minced garlic and chopped broccoli rabe. Put that aside, put the sprouts in the oven, and wasted a good 10 minutes trying to get all the eggshell pieces out of the eggs I was cracking for the quiche. (Hubby laughed at my first attempt, and nudged me aside so he could crack them for me. He got even more eggshells in it than I did! Is it something about cagefree brown eggs that makes them shatter into a million pieces instead of one clean crack? It's ridiculous.)



Crushed the crispy bacon into bits. Mixed the eggs with some of the onions, some bacon, Mural of Flavor seasoning, and crumbled goat cheese. Put the rabe into the bottom of a pie shell, poured the egg mixture over it, and topped with the rest of the carmelized onion rings.

Put into oven with the potatoes and sprouts. Tossed the sprouts to prevent burning. Added stock and more seasoning to the soup and brought back to a boil, then simmered again. The taste finally came together so I turned off the heat and served a bowl to each of us.

Crashed in a chair and ate soup until it was time to take out the sprouts. Crashed again until the quiche was done. Washed more dishes until it was time for the potatoes.



Cut the potatoes in half. While they cooled, did yet another round of dishes so I could re-use the large saute pan. Minced a shallot, sauteed it in butter along with the spinach. Set aside. Scooped the potato out the skin (had to do two separate bowls of it because I was making sweet potatoes for me and regular baking potatoes for Hubby), mashed it with sour cream and cream cheese. Added in the spinach. Drizzled the skins in olive oil and baked them for a few more minutes to get crispier. Spooned the potato mixture back into the skins and topped with shredded parmesan cheese (not sure why they are considered "healthy" LOL but they will be tasty!).



Collapsed on recliner while the potatoes baked one more time until the tops were browned. Ate a slice of quiche. Took the potatoes out and let them cool. Collapsed again and wrote this entry. Ate Brussels sprouts and a sweet potato half.



Loaded everything up into storage containers and refrigerated. We will be eating well this week, but it was not easy! Next time, I am going to read the recipes closer before I start putting them together; these were just too many steps for the potatoes, for instance. And the quiche! That one was all my own fault; I don't have a recipe for that, I just pick the combo I feel like making that week. This particular one required me to cook all the ingredients separately before I mixed them in the quiche. That was too much.

But it is all delicious. :)

20 comments:

  1. I love reading about your cooking adventures, Kristin! I spent about 3 hours today cooking and doing prep work.

    I made bean and kale soup (we'll have that tomorrow night for dinner), and a spicy beef/kale/onion/potato/scallops stew, as well as a batch of no-flour muffins, and prepping 8 salads and making 8 sandwiches for the week for L and I. Oh, and I also prepped about 6 bunches of radishes. I'm beat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew, you put in some time too! Mmm, bean and kale soup sounds terrific. I think that's going on my list for next week.

      Delete
  2. Wow so beautiful. You work so hard and you make some great looking food. I'd be tasting all of that as it was done. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Now I hope it lasts longer than Wednesday, but the way we've been tearing through it, it might not.

      Delete
  3. next sunday at your house?
    dinner?
    Ill bring the...wine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of twice-baked sweet potato's. They look good.

    I'm guilty of not reading the recipe all the way through before starting. My sister and I had a huge disaster at Christmas related to that shortcoming. Sometimes you need to read the ingredients and then re-read to identify where each fits into the final dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sweet potatoes came out okay. I love the flavors but I think I should have cooked and mashed them a bit more. There's a LOT of spinach in them too, which is good, but they're not quite your expected potato skins like in a restaurant.

      My problem with recipes is that I don't take into account if many ingredients need to be prepared separately before they are put together. I do notice if something is looking for cooked rice (which I never have on hand), but when it comes to veggies I just skim right over the prep work.

      Delete
  5. You've just about described a Sunday of cooking at my house. Mr. Helen says he can't stand to be in the kitchen when I'm in a whirlwind because it makes him nervous seeing every single available pot out lol!

    Ahhhh but the end result is so worth it, right? Not to mention all that prep makes it easier to stay with your food style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even imagine doing that much work every weekend; I don't know why this particular just felt like more cooking than usual. Maybe because I was still doing it at 7:30 at night!

      Delete
  6. I neglected to mention that I too seasoned the chicken breasts when making the soup recipe. I figured that was a given, directions in the recipe or now. I felt like subbing rosemary helped with seasoning too.

    The twice-baked potatoes look magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The seasoning would have helped a lot. Next time I will make half a batch and season sooner. I ended up having to keep cooking it to get the flavors to meld and now everything is on the verge of being overcooked. It will be amazing on my next attempt!

      Delete
  7. Cooking IS a lot of work, but your dishes look great and I bet you'll be so happy to not have to fuss much during the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the ability to heat up a plate and be eating my dinner five minutes after I got home was very, very nice on Monday... :)

      Delete
  8. You are a great cook and it is very exciting that you enjoy it so much. I am a vegetarian so I'm coming from a different view point than you, but I see alot of fat in these recipes coming from bacon, oil, butter, sour cream, cream cheese, and so on. There is fat floating on top of the chicken soup. I know you are interested in eating healthy. I expect restaurant food to be full of fat to make it tasty and beautiful so it seems you could get take out for the week and take your day off from cooking. But you are spending the hours cooking to make healthy food and it seems there are recipes out there for that. If I wasn't a vegetarian I would be gobbling these tasty treats up too. But it seems that is not exactly what you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, San, this is the second time you've scolded me for using ingredients that you would not. I do use bacon and oil in my cooking, the same way I do cheese: in small quantities to allow them to give the foods the flavor we enjoy without overwhelming the calories or balance of the dish. As for the stuffed potatoes, if you had read the text of what I said, I did comment that I hadn't read the recipe all the way through and no, they did not seem like the healthiest recipe I have made. But they were also a side dish that we had with salads and soups. I also used the light and fat-free versions of sour cream and the cream cheese; I just didn't think I had to explain that, because it was a given.

      I am not a vegetarian, and I have no intention of becoming one. Nor am I Paula Deen, gobbing everything with pounds of butter and fat. I am trying to find a balance for us for the long term where we eat foods that are good for us and where we can still have flavors we enjoy. The oil and bacon and the occasional other fats are not going away, but they are used in moderation. I'm sorry you don't approve, but it's not your approval I am looking for. It's mine and my husband's.

      Delete
  9. I certainly didn't mean to sound like I was scolding nor trying to push being vegetarian. In your blog you share your struggles with foodstyle and weight issues. I was just responding with what I hoped might be helpful. I'm sorry you didn't approve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristen, I don't scold people for what they choose to eat. What you eat is quite a personal issue except that you do blog about it. I am vegetarian (because I don't want to eat blood) and only brought that topic up in order to point out that I know that you and I come from a very different background, and not to say that you should also be a vegetarian. I don't give or not give approval of your meal choices or fat intake, it is your thing, but your blog seems to at this time be open for discussion, your blog is titled Low Fat Dressing.

    ReplyDelete