Tuesday, December 13, 2011

In the Zone

I took this dress to Nordstrom to be altered after my last wearing. It's a fabulous dress, but it was a little too loose around the waist and chest. The tailor kept pulling it in, and I kept telling her I wanted to be able to fit a blouse under it. In the end, she won; when I picked it up a couple of weeks ago, it felt a little too tight, and zipping up under my arm when I was in a blouse was a struggle. I was disappointed, but I didn't want to take it back and have her fix it. I was embarrassed to admit I was too fat for how much she had taken it in.

So it hung in my closet for a bit while I stewed. I finally gave up on the idea of a button-down blouse under it. and wore it again with a layering tee instead. For NOW -- we shall see what the Foodstyle brings in the coming weeks; I may get a button-down under there yet!



I really do love the dress. Next time perhaps I will be brave enough to style it with some color; both times so far have been black-and-white variations. Not that there is anything wrong with that!



The bigger news is, as I have mentioned, the Foodstyle. I am In the Zone, in that moment when dieting/eating right is effortless, your motivation is high, and you're not frantically missing all the "good food" (i.e. junk food) you could be eating. It took me a long while to get here, so I am doing my best to keep myself here. I am eating very well, I'm tracking my foods nightly, I'm getting tons and tons of water in naturally -- my body is craving water so I'm refilling my water bottle at work all day long.

People, I am voluntarily and willingly taking my daily multivitamin. Alert the media!

I'm also not depriving myself; if I want a chocolate covered pretzel, I have one. But I only have one, and I don't let it derail the rest of my day. This change in attitude is the one that most represents being in the zone; when I'm not, that chocolate-covered pretzel is my gateway drug to a whole day of candy-snacking and usually culminates in Taco Bell for dinner. When I am in the zone, the pretzel is a savory treat that I enjoy to its fullest, and then I move on. Yesterday for example, our boss bought us pizza for lunch after our annual gift-wrapping party; I ate two squares of cheese pizza instead of the lunch I had brought, but my afternoon snack of two clementines came from my lunch box, and then I polished off the rest of the lunch (squash soup and a turkey sandwich) when I got home for dinner. It's amazing to realize that; to see in vivid clarity how much power my attitude has over what I eat and therefore what I weigh.

My goal during this month is to keep it going during the holidays, to not use the excuse of traveling or stress or parties to change my attitude. There are plenty of ways to still enjoy myself and yet get 5 fruits and veggies in every day.

Speaking of which:
1. I spotted this recipe for mixing grains with pomegranate seeds over on This Mama Cooks. Doesn't it look and sound amazing? I think I need to make that for next week, right alongside the holiday blossom cookies I will be making for the family Christmas party. Gotta keep that balance going!

2. Is it just me, or are clementines especially tasty right now? I prefer big, thick navel oranges, but they're too tough this early in the season. The clementines are right at their peak -- their more delicate skin tears away easily, and they're so flavorful and soft. Winter citrus is just one of my most favorite things to eat in the world; I still resent the winter I was on Medifast and couldn't have any oranges. Oranges never hurt anyone!

What's your favorite fruit to eat right now?

9 comments:

  1. I love the Zone! Why we ever let ourselves get out of it may be one of life's biggest mysteries.

    The dress is awesome and I predict a button up under it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this outfit! It looks really nice on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous dress, great combo - are your boots black? Love everything about this look!

    Isn't it wonderful when you are doing so well with food? Love it - hope you continue to glide through the Zone. Oh, and that quinoa/pom dish looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dress is amazing on you.

    My favorite fruit this time of year is hands down pomegranates and I must say, they have been especially delicious this season. This is one fruit I have strong cravings for. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure I'd like the dress as well with a woven blouse underneath. Might detract from the neckline that I like.

    My husband has a re-built immune system and the doctor advised against vitamins/supplements saying it's not clear what effect they might have. When those boxes of Clementines turn up I pop them in my cart - they're vitamins in a peel!

    It's Christmas cookie weekend for me so I'm preparing to bake and cook and NOT sample endlessly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rose, I just take a regular multivitamin, the kind with 100% of all nutrients. Nothing crazy! I prefer to eat my nutrients but in case I don't get a balanced diet every day, this covers what I miss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love LOVE this outfit! I'm copying it next week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously love this! You are looking so fit and trim, missy! All your hard work is paying off. :) And, yeah, I heart pomegranates but damn it's a lot of work to get those darn seeds out!

    ReplyDelete