Sunday, October 23, 2011

A Working Woman's Guide to Leggings


DSC_5915
(My favorite outfit of all time.)

My friend J asked me to do a primer about leggings in the workplace. It took me a long time to warm to the idea of leggings at work, and there are only a few circumstances where they are appropriate, but it is possible to wear them in the office, provided you use a little discretion and grace.

Caveat: all of this depends on what kind of office dress code you have. Mine is business casual, and when we are in the office at our desks, it tends to be on the looser end of business casual. When we travel out to the sites or for meetings, we step it up a notch, and for exec-level meetings, it's a suit.

Here are the guideleines I use for leggings:
1. Never ever wear them at a executive-level business meeting.  Just, don't.
2. Cropped leggings are a possibility in the summer, but I have only worn them when I knew I was doing something before or after work that required them. Otherwise they just look goofy.

DSC_6026


3.  Long leggings are best, in dark colors. I have black and brown.

DSC_5752


4. Wear them with a dress. They say they can be worn with tunics, but not to work. I've tried, and it just didn't look right.



5. Dresses that are too-short otherwise can get a new life when you pair them with leggings, but a regular length dress is best. The idea is to wear them almost like tights before it's cold enough for tights.



6. Wear them with flats, or sandals in the summer. It's the really the best way to wear flats with dresses without looking frumpy.

DSC_7407DSC_7327

7. You can wear them tucked into boots, which I have done, but I don't see the point. Why didn't I just wear tights? To me, leggings are seasonal: spring and fall, when the weather is just between tights and bare-legged temperatures. Coincidentally, that's also (ballet) flats weather!

DSC_5819


8. My favorite look is monochromatic. I think it's because there's that break at the ankle where skin shows again, so it's not the same as head-to-toe black in tights and boots.

DSC_5785DSC_5978

9. Contrast is okay, but tricky. Angie at YLF said once to pull in that darker color up top somewhere in the outfit, and that makes a lot of sense. See? The left has that repeating color, the right doesn't.

DSC_5773DSC_5775


10. Don't be afraid of patterns on top, especially if you use rule #9. The left outfit is missing dark on top, the one on the right has better color flow all the way down.

DSC_7246

I hope this was helpful to you! Are there any tips that you use for leggings in the office that I may have missed? Do you have an office where they can be worn?

Angie has posted about leggings many times over the last couple of years. If my guidelines are too strict for your office, check out what she has had to say!

10 comments:

  1. I love that top outfit on you, and what a fun look at a bunch of your outfits (and to see you lovely kitty peeking out the door!).

    I am still not a convert - I feel like leggings just stumpify my legs way too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can not tell you how I LOVED and needed this.
    now to find the 'perfect' matte black leggings....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tutorial! I don't wear flats so not sure if leggings would work for me, but I am loving the monochromatic black/black/colored cardigan outfits, so who knows? I may give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even pick one look I love the most-maybe the first one, and the one with the denim vest? (denim is my favorite thing. I notice a kitty cat in the background. I have a drawer full of leggings, and I love the look, but I end up looking like a fur ball with kitty and dog fur on me. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am of the opinion that leggings look so good on you because you have great legs! I keep trying them but I feel like they make my chubby legs look even chubbier...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post. As a newbie to leggings I really appreciate it. Now if I could just find some of those fantastic dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an awesome post, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post Kristen, thanx so much!!! You are always a great inspiration!! :-))
    Leggings were tickling my fancy for quite a some time, but I was only experrimenting with them under regular dresses(and knee length denim/cord pencil skirts!)- this fall, and loved it so much!
    I 've worn them with wedges (pumps) that was so comfy and more appropiate for work in my book(for casual days only).
    If interrested, you can check my looks here(verdict on YLF was pretty good:-))
    http://youlookfab.com/welookfab/topic/ankle-long-black-leggings-for-fall
    love your blog-as you know, me a hoh felow and a longtime/regular reader, too:-))
    lyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Smart advice. You balance fashion with prudence, which is necessary for the workplace.

    BTW, I like your blog! You have both style and wit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must admit I never wear leggings.
    But the tips are very enlightening and I MUST add I have NEVER SEEN leggings wore in such a classy way : that first outfit is absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete