Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Team Straight Leg

Follow-up on my last post:
1. Hurray for the resounding approval of my new bag! As you will soon see, it has already been put into rotation, so I guess it's a keeper. :)
2. I am still laughing at RoseAG's comment: Isn't that gunmetal jacket the one with documented color-coordination issues? Ha! Spoken like a true fellow IT project nerd. :) And yes, yes it is. I should know better by now, but I keep trying with that one!

 Monday was rather a boring day, sartorial-wise. I did some closet rearranging, and am making a concerted effort to remix my new pieces with my older ones as much as possible. I feel like this summer it was all new, new, new, probably because it was all new dresses and my awesome sandal collection. This season I'm trying for more of a balanced approach. For now.



I am officially in love with this cozy knit long sweater from Old Navy. I remixed the white sleeveless tank with the bow, also from Old Navy, but this time swapped in a black stretch belt instead of the self-belt. The grey pants are Ashley Stewart, which I bought last spring but never really cottoned to, and the shoes are my grey tweed Ann Taylor Outlet flats.

I like being able to work in rarely-worn pieces like the pants and shoes, and I love when they work together.




I think I need to re-evaluate the hem on those pants, though. I'd rather be able to wear them with heels than flats. Hmm.

The best part of the outfit, of course, was the new Coach bag!








Yeah, it's a keeper.

Tuesday was another remix, and the debut of my new True Straight Leg pants from Gap. I wish I could wear these pants every day. Oh. My. God.




This was another version of a cream top (my Lauren Conrad tee with embellished horizontal lines) with the cream Gap sweater, then adding a sweet pink and brown floral infinity scarf (a Christmas gift from my mother-in-law) to break it up at my face. The shoes are brown suede BOC heeled clogs from DSW, a favorite find from last fall and available at DSW again this year. I guess clogs aren't totally done yet!

But the real star of the outfit are these new pants. Angie asked yesterday if readers were Team Wide Leg or Team Bootcut, and my answer is that I am Team Straight Leg. It is hands-down the style that looks best on my body shape. I'm not a small woman, in any way, and my legs are my best asset; the larger I get, the more pronounced my pear shape gets at my hips, but then it quickly thins out from my knee down. So a bootcut tends to look like a mermaid-shape on me, and makes my hips even bigger. And a wide leg...well, it looks like Monday's shots. Kind of shapeless and everything is the same size as my thighs and hips. Not my best look.

Skinnies, too, pose their own problems; their streamlined shape is actually too pronounced for my legs, and I look like an ice cream cone. But straight legs have all the virtues of a skinny (highlights my lower legs) but in a less pronounced way.







Truthfully, all of my "skinnies" are really straight legs: the NYDJ ponte pants, my old Kut from the Cloth jeans, etc. But these new ones are really the best of the bunch. The fabric is a great heavy stretch, which keeps its shape but still has some nice give to it. They feel exactly like Banana Republic's Martin Fit pants did a couple of years ago. I am IN LOVE.

Lastly, in case you were worried I have been going way too neutral lately:



I am still me!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I LOVE the second outfit - you look amazing. LOVE IT! Those pants are fantastic, too - with your body-type description, I'm wondering (hoping!) that they might work for me. Heading to Gap.com right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A mermaid! I hadn't thought of it that way, but that's exactly what I feel like in anything wider than a straight leg. My body shape is very similar to yours, and I feel like the wide leg bottoms make my calves look chunky, when I feel like they are one of the nicest parts of my body. Why wear something that makes me look worse than I really do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both outfits look very nicely put-together...but that second one is just perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think what you said about straight leg pants make a lot of sense. I love your new coach bag and the sweater looks very cozy. It would be a great topper for any blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The second outfit is a winner! Love, love, love everything about it. In my new purchases I also picked up 2 pairs of straight leg pants and am liking them much more than I thought I would.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that there is a lot to be said for straight legs over tapered legs if you have a curvy figure.

    I do own a pair of skinnies I got at Kohl's. They're for wearing with long sweater tunics. They have a low waist that's good if I belt the tunic because the waist of the pants doesn't add bulk with the tunic belt. I don't feel quite dressed enough in leggings so the skinnies are in their place.

    Both outfits are good looking. The gray sweater looks like something that will go with a zillion different things and be quick for when all you need to do is get out the door in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, I just recently learned this little tidbit of style information after years of wondering why the recommended boot cut jeans made me look even more out of proportion than I already am! Just yesterday I picked up three pairs of straight cut pants at the LOFT! How did I not know this before?!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are rockin the pants! Love all these looks, especially that belted cardigan!

    ReplyDelete