Sunday, October 30, 2011

Long weekend

I worked a half-day at home on Friday, and took a much-needed afternoon off. So sartorially, it was a long weekend, 'cause you know I wore bum-around jeans at home working!



These are the Dreamer Old Navy bootcut jeans; I actually like them better in the long version, but I only have those in faded wash and they were in, well, the wash. :) So I added flats and went with the short, smooshed look. The maroon cardigan is last years from Kohls, the top is a new cream diagonal striped from LOFT, the necklace is a gold knotted stretch from Nordstrom, the purse is also from Nordstrom, and the flats are my beloved Sam Edelmann embellished animal prints.



It was a gorgeous day, sunny and perfectly crispy fall. Since it was later in the morning, I crept out off my patio and snapped a couple of shots in the area behind my house. Our neighbors have cute Halloween decorations out. We have our flamingos. LOL!



I changed before I went out to dinner with my friend Laura, but I forgot to get a picture of that. Which is fine, because I could not hold a candle to her chic-ness. LOVE your new red hair, Laura! She had a great grey cabled cowlneck tunic with grey heathered tights and the best piping-edged boots. We never take pictures when we got out, but seriously, we should.

++++++

On Saturday I needed an outfit that would take me from morning grocery shopping to afternoon babysitting to an night of dinner downtown celebrating a friend's birthday. I think I got one fit the bill.





You know how earlier this week I was all about covering up my dupa with boyfriend cardigans, or talking about wearing outfits in proportions. Sometimes you just gotta channel a little Shakira, cause in this one, my hips don't lie, and I don't care. These are Gap Long and Lean jeans, and they are great for outfits when I want to show off alllllllll my legs, hips and thighs and all. They only work in the tall version with heels (my super-awesome olive green Clarks Vista Vermonts, which you may have noticed in many weekend outfits lately), but they work in a way my other jeans don't.

The jacket is a cotton olive cropped from Gap from last year; it's pretty casual but every once in a while works perfectly. The black long-sleeved layering top is new from LOFT (I scooped up a bunch on sale with a coupon and the last of my LOFT points this week), and the scarf is a great mix of navy, baby blue and olive. With the glasses it kind of looks a little "matchy-matchy" but I think the color combo is so unusual it works.




+++++++

Hubby agreed to take my photo on Sunday. He's getting better about not making me a dot on the horizon; I barely had to crop this one!



Another wearing of the Old Navy Dreamers, this time with a new teal LOFT layering top, an older Kohls cropped black sweater with dolman sleeves tied with a black ribbon. The shoes are my Ann Taylor Outlet tweed flats. Functional, and cozy.

This afternoon has been what I am beginning to call Soup Sunday. This week I made another batch of my Babchi's spaghetti sauce; I zipped through the first one mostly due to waste. Fresh tomato sauce goes bad in the fridge after a week (sob!), and I had frozen the rest in too big a container so I had to use it all at once. This time I am following Corporette's suggestions for freezing foods, and storing it in flat pint bags. (A pint of sauce is usually good for one meal.)

The other soup in process is Broccoli Chowder, one of my favorite meals. I did a double-batch in hopes of bringing it into work tomorrow, but I'm not sure I like how it came out. Eating a bowl now, and letting the pot simmer for a bit to cook down. Hope it fixes itself so I can take it in!

I can feel my foodstyle fighting its way through the haze of Halloween candy and work stress; I did a big round of grocery shopping this weekend, and have been busily stockpiling recipe ideas for quick dinners, like these Barbecue Portobello Quesadillas. YUM.

 And Helen, I bought the Cooking Light edition for Thanksgiving ideas; I am still mulling over more veggie side dishes and I would love a new, lighter potato idea, so any ideas are welcome!

Hope you all had lovely weekends, and those of you in the Northwest, hope the snow melts fast and you didn't lose power. First time there has been a storm like that since the Civil War. I can't even imagine!


6 comments:

  1. That issue of Cooking Light is one I'm going to keep with my cookbooks.

    I hope your family fared well in this lousy storm we had. Of course I lucked out being in the extreme Southeast part of the state but there are still so many people with no power!

    You need to find those flamingos that Shelley has!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a trick I have done with mashed potatoes since my daughter decided most veggies were not her friend anymore: steam a head of chopped cauliflower. Drain, then pulverized with your stick blender (or food processor). Scoop into half-cup mounds on a wax paper lined baking sheet, then freeze. When you make a batch of mashed potatoes, add a couple thawed cauliflower mounds. This adds fiber and reduces calories per portion, without even noticing.

    PS - The flamingos are AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking that you need my skeleton flamingos!!!

    We were gone all day yesterday, but I did buy a couple of things to go with the brown boots - I'll work on getting some pictures for you so I can get your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think the glasses are too matchy. I'm very fond of them. They cast a nice light on your face.

    I agree that your flamingos need some seasonal friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kristen, don't underestimate your stylish self, you looked just as fab for our night out, and yes! We need to take photos next time. I will make sure to wear heels so we can both be in the viewfinder :) Good luck with your week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like that scarf, very cool colors.

    ReplyDelete