Thursday, October 27, 2011

All hail the boyfriend cardigan!

One of the interesting things about batching up a bunch of outfit photos over the course of the week is that seeing the photographs side by side in my photo viewer allows me to see trends or similarities in what I'm wearing, or forces me to compare different styles and determine which is better for my body shape. For example, sweater lengths.



The first one on the left is last Friday's outfit of shorter cardigan, long top and ponte straight legs/skinnies. The sweater actually is asymmetrical so the edges on the side hang longer, but you can't see that well with my hands on my hips. Still, the whole look emphasizes my ice cream cone shape/pear shape. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it is a little disproportionate.

The middle is my easy Saturday outfit. I loved this because it proved to myself that I have built my closet enough that I could pull out the first top in the drawer (a ruched front white LOFT tee), the first cardigan hanging in the closet, grab my favorite necklace, long faded jeans, and for a splash of fun my new Clark suede green booties, and be done. Simple, but effective. That said, the medium-long length of the cardigan stops right at the widest part of me -- but that didn't become apparent to me until I compared the look to the others ablove.

Sunday's look on the right reinforces why long boyfriend cardigans are still the best look for me. I look and feel more proportionate; there's no ice cream cone shape anywhere, but I don't look like I am drowning or hiding in my clothes, either.  And the funny thing is, boyfriend cardigans flatter me the same way whether I am skinny or fat.


DSC_4669DSC_4430


DSC_5006DSC_6034


DSC_6335DSC_5594DSC_4907


Honestly, I don't know why I even bother buying other sweater lengths, when I look at it like this.



7 comments:

  1. That is a good length on you. I feel the same way about my long drapey wrap cardigans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post! As a non fashion blogger I think this is something that I might do myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how the collages could reveal so much important information. The boyfriend cardigans do look amazing on you. I've learned to stay away from that style because they overpower my short self :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Friday look, with the slimmer fitting pants. It balances out the flowiness of the cardigan. But it is a great style that you've made work in so many different ways! I have a few boyfriend cardigans that I just don't wear enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the queen of the boyfriend cardi! No one wears it better. See you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you are good! I love the way you look on dress and skirts. The pictures look like one of the before and after shows wonderful!!!
    היכרות

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree.
    I also have to add that I only have one or 2 boyfriend cardigans. I need more.

    ReplyDelete