Women's summer fashion in a nutshell: Wear just enough to prevent chafing. No more, no less.
Which is pretty much the definition of my summer flop-proof formula.

I looked back to confirm; I haven't worn this dress since June! But it's perfect for heat-wave temps; it's breathable cotton but still has a great shape and looks polished. I had fun with this one, adding an open silver floral pendant necklace and my orange wedges to go with the bright blue of the dress. Neutral, schmeutral.
My hair turned out pretty well too, now that I have moved my base of operations down to the downstairs bathroom. We don't get great circulation upstairs so I often end up getting my hair wet with sweat while I am trying to blow it dry. I moved my makeup and blow dryer to the cooler first floor, and presto! No more ruining my hair before it's even dry.

As I was telling some friends in email, I also swallowed my pride and bought some bathing suits in my current size. Lands End was having a 50-70% off sale so I got a "swimdress" for an upcoming weekend beach trip and a lap suit for exercise. I miss swimming, a lot, and my friend Shelley at My Journey to Fit has been inspiring me to pick it back up. It's time.
Plus, wait until I take some photos of my town pool. You guys are gonna kill me. It's really luxurious and lovely, just perfect for evening swims.
++++++
Daily Food Tracker: Wednesday
Breakfast: two pieces of ww toast with peanut butter, strawberries
Lunch: Panera pick two: tuna sandwich, broccoli cheddar soup
Snack: watermelon
Dinner: HAHAHA. I DID IT. Hubby ordered pizza. I made myself a glass of wine and a lovely bowl of sliced figs, chopped peppered turkey bacon, blue cheese crumbles, and a drizzle of light balsamic dressing. It was delicious, and felt sinful.
Then I had one small slice of pizza. This, my friends, is a modern miracle.
Snack: WW ice cream popsicle

Now, what other kinds of salad did I say I wanted to try from Bittman's article? This was a rather brilliant combination.
Ahhhh, yeah, I'll try this one next: 38. Cube watermelon; combine with roughly chopped mint, crumbled feta, sliced red onion and chopped Kalamata olives. Dress lightly with olive oil and lemon juice. Despite saltiness of feta and olives, this may need salt.
Helen, to answer your question yesterday, my husband took off 75 pounds when we did Medifast together a couple of years ago, and he's kept a good amount of it off. But he's not lean, so our issues are a little different than yours. We're just lazy as all get-out, and pizza is our default. :)
But he's gone on a trip until Sunday, so I have no excuses except for my own willpower. And I am getting better at my food choices -- my real choices, not a fake Taco Bell "choice" -- everyday. I can do it.
I'm not even going to say I'm proud of you... I hope YOU are proud of YOU! Laziness is definitely a diet and exercise killer and if both people have that trait I'm sure it's even more difficult.
ReplyDeleteI have some married friends who say they are just alike when it comes to most everything, including diet and exercise. The wife tells me it's awful because they constantly enable each other. So they are both either eating a bit too much or are both 1000% gung-ho on a diet. She says she'd love the find that middle ground. Ha! Me too!
That fig salad looks yummy. I bought a bathing suit a few weeks ago. I've never done the tankini thing but thought I'd see how it goes. I am going to a cookout/swim party next month. The skirt looks a little matronly but I'm more comfortable with a skirt style on the bottom. Stay cool!
ReplyDeleteI ♥ your friend Annie's twitter, and I followed it perfectly this morning.
ReplyDeleteAnd I have "pool envy" even before I SEE it! Enjoy.
Speaking of people who look good in blue dresses - this looks great on you! And I love it with the red shoes.
ReplyDeleteI have the same problem with blow drying my hair. Since we don't have central air, the bathroom is a lot warmer than the rest of my condo. Even if I do get it to look good before I leave, all it takes is about a minute out in the humidity before it totally deflates and flips out.
So glad you are getting into swimming! And I just checked out Land's End - wow, they have some awesome deals on swimsuits right now!!!
ReplyDeleteWould you believe I've never had a fig? Well, unless you count Fig Newtons, lol! Your salad looks amazing, though, and now I want to try them! Big congrats for beating down that pizza monster!
You look great in your dress! You can give the finger to the pizza when you know you look good, right? haha
ReplyDeleteWhen the husband orders pizza, I usually try to eat something healthier, but I'll allow my self to eat 1 piece if I'm still hungry afterwords.