Monday, July 11, 2011

Best Laid Plans

I forgot to take any photos of my outfits this weekend (just shorts and tops in 90-degree heat) so the food discussion will continue on from Sunday's post.

Daily Food Tracker: Sunday

Breakfast: whole wheat waffle, crunchy peanut butter, watermelon and pineapple, black coffee with Sweet'n'Low
Lunch: french onion soup (not with that awful grilled cheese thing baked on top, just the soup with a small crouton and some parmesan cheese), half a roll, egg salad sandwich, vinegar based coleslaw, water
Dinner: reuben burger and cheese fries at Meatheads, Sprite
Snack: 2 WW English toffee bars (night)

I was doing okay, even had mental plans to have a big salad with peppered turkey bacon crumbled on top for dinner, than got too hungry before dinner and immediately talked myself into a trip to Meatheads with a girlfriend. The funny thing is, my husband and I hit the farmer's market in the morning and stocked up, then I cut up all the veggies for salad so they would be ready. And I walked away from all of it anyway.

But now we have orange cauliflower (carro-flower, they called it), thin asparagus, and sweet Italian chicken sausage for grilling for dinner tonight, at least. Plus I still have all the fixings for my peppered bacon salad (dang, doesn't that sound good?). I also came up with the idea to make a pot of whole wheat couscous tonight so we will have it for the week; I need some carbs with dinner, even just some couscous, or to me dinner doesn't feel finished and I end up eating too much bread and pub cheese.

In inspiration news, the NY Times re-published Mark Bittman's 101 Simple Salads for the Season, which I just love. Bittman has become my favorite food inspiration over the last couple of years. I have his How To Cook Everything cookbook, which is amazing in its clarity and ambition, and I picked up his Food Matters book this winter, which is a great manifesto for eating healthy in our modern agricultural times. I can't say I can embrace his ideas completely -- I love my meat waaaaay too much for that -- but I'm going to thumb through it again this week to see what other transferable ideas he has. And I am going to print out that salad list; lettuce-based salads get old very quickly. His are more like meals in a bowl.

So what did you eat yesterday?

1 comment:

  1. I love Mark Bittman, particularly his videos on NYTimes.com. His pad tai recipe is amazing and easy, too. Reggie

    ReplyDelete