
I bought a veggie tray for our 4th of July cookout last Sunday, and there was plenty left over at the end of the night. As I was putting everything away, it dawned on me that even though my husband and I don't particularly care for raw veggies, we sure like them cooked -- and everything on the tray would be perfect for grilling. (Also, it was all hardy vegetables that would last a week: broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, baby carrots.)
So last night I picked up a bison New York strip steak and some basil-pesto shrimp kebobs from Whole Foods, and we grilled everything up.


We did the veggies in a foil packet with olive oil, fajita seasonings, and some water so it would steam, and cooked those for about 40 minutes. There was so much I thought for sure it would last a couple of days, but Hubby polished them off in two heaping plates. Heh.

Delicious.
I've been trying to "eat better" without actually following a strict diet; I know I need to lose weight, I want to eat healthier, and I want it to be for the long haul. But there is something about my brain thinking "I am on a diet" that makes it feel short-term, and I end up starting and stopping until I give up and eat junk all day long. That's not what I want.
On the other hand, I am not so sure I am really "eating better" as much as I think I am. Along with the delicious, healthy dinner above, I also had 2 gin and tonics and 3 slices of seeded bread liberally smeared with pub cheese. Three slices! Plus two WW English toffee ice cream bars that night. Hrm.
Tina over at T Minus, T Plus does an interesting thing where she shows photos and WW points of all the foods she eats in a day. While I don't plan on taking pictures of everything, I am going to challenge myself for the next week to document ALL the food I eat throughout the day. I know from many years of WW that tracking food is the best way to keep yourself honest, and I haven't been honest with myself in a while. That IS what I want.
So one personal challenge has ended, and another begins. For the next week, look for My Daily Food Tracker to appear at the bottom of my posts; I will post one day behind, so today's food will appear in tomorrow's post. Anyone else willing to do it with me? If you don't want to do it in your own blog, you can just enter your food into the comments here. Whaddya say?
Yum all that stuff looks delish. I've re-branded my blog and plan to incorporate more food so I love others who are doing that as well.
ReplyDeleteI've done that same thing with leftover veggie trays. I've also taken a leftover Edible Arrangment and turned it into fruit salad. I just hate to see stuff go to waste!
ReplyDeleteI think the idea of taking photos of everything you eat is great, whether you share it on your blog or not. I may have to give that a try... it would be a way of tracking without actually having to write down or key in every bite, which I seem to be in serious rebellion against these days!
Kristen this looks really good....
ReplyDeleteI will transform food too and if the veggies look like I won't be eating them before they go bad I just put them in the blender and then freeze them for sauces... i cannot see food being thrown away.
I think this is a really good food challenge for you! Good work, Kristen!
ReplyDeleteI eat grilled veggies at least twice a week (I use low sodium veggie broth instead of water for extra flavour). I have a different dinner every night, but my breakfast and lunch are always the same:
Breakfast:
Envelope of plain organic oatmeal, frozen blueberries or raspberries, a sprinkle of either chopped walnuts or slivered almonds, glass of skim milk.
Snack (11am):
250 ml/1 cup of fat free flavoured yoghurt (sweetened with Splenda). I rotate between strawberry, raspberry, vanilla, cherry and blueberry. Also, a banana, which I dip into the yoghurt.
Lunch (around 2pm):
WW multigrain sandwich made with a wedge of garlic/herb Laughing Cow spreadable cheese (yum!) and a big handful of sprouts. Ziploc bag of sugar peas. Glad tub of mixed salad (leaf lettuce, spinach and sliced radishes this week) with Newman's Own Lighten Up Oil and Vinegar dressing. Another piece of fruit (this week it's apricots). A mini tub of fat free pudding (I alternate butterscotch and chocolate).
I eat an apple on the way home.
And that's how I get all my fruits and veggies before I even have dinner! I also get both of my dairy servings in there, and one of my healthy oils. I am left with about 15 WW Points Plus for dinner and evening snack.