1. Lighten up. Select lighter fabrics, scarves, sweater knits.
2. Brighten up. Go for a bright color once in a while, and shake off the winter blacks.
3. Show a little skin. If you can, remove your tights, roll up your sleeves, or just wear flats and let the tops of your feet poke out.
Once you've got those nailed down, there are some other spring-y details you can add, like:
-a white collared shirt
-swap out a scarf for a necklace
-wear florals
-if all else fails, get a cute top
This last detail is pure LFD:
-Wear yellow. Just because.

I know many of you are afraid of yellow, but there are so many shades and tones, I'll bet there is one out there for you if you give it a try. Me, I like them all, and I especially like mixing them together. Here I combined the pale yellow of my gingham-checked ON top and the sunny yellow LOFT tee. What was interesting is that like what Angie recommended in her Gal Time post about wearing white, the "self-color" brighter yellow underneath gave more life to the paler gingham, and filled out the color nicely.

This was a super-casual business-casual look for a Friday in the office. To dress it up I should have tucked in the top or added a belt, but since I was at my desk all day I didn't bother. But it did get pretty wrinkly by the end of the day, though, so I changed before we went out for dinner with Shopping Friend and her boyfriend. Plus, the temp dropped as the day progressed; we had rain and then that wet cold that seeps into your bones. I bundled up.

A medley of greys and blacks: the striped WHBM cascading cardigan, a cement grey ON v-neck long-sleeved tee, Gap Long & Lean jeans, grey Franco Sarto Deer oxford heels, and a green-stone short pendant necklace.
Dinner was great, lots of laughs. And Shopping Friend assessed the Lucky red maple hobo that I had ordered and was feeling iffy on. She noticed the same detail that had bugged me (the cheap half-leather strap) and correctly pointed out the other flaw: the shortness of the strap did not leave enough room for me to access inside when it was on my shoulder. It's already on its way back to Zappos, and I have a couple of other bags under consideration.
I also got my second Gap order, and hated everything but a skinny belt. Back it goes too! Time to reassess what I have and see if I am set for spring. The temps are supposed to be on the rise this week, so it may be more Spring Transition, or straight into Spring itself!
I like that yellow top on you! I wish I could wear more yellow, just because, but it's hard to find one that looks right on me.
ReplyDeleteYou look good in yellow!
ReplyDeleteI had to go to a baby shower over the weekend and I remembered some of your rules Kristen! I wore black jeans but I had on a bright lime green top and when I chose my shoes, I ended up going with flats that showed some skin. Those two things really did make the outfit seem "springy!"
ReplyDeleteHi Kristin,
ReplyDeleteLove your blog!
I wanted to let you know I was in the USA this weekend, I live in Toronto, and because of all the great Kohl's dresses you have posted I went to Kohl's and got 2 dresses and a top, which started off being 15% off then because I signed up for a credit card it was an additional 30% off! Wowie!
Thanks! Penney
I really like the way you layered a yellow top under the yellow checked blouse - so much more pop than just white (which is what I would have done) - you continually give me such neat ideas!
ReplyDeleteCute yellow top! And I HEART that striped top with the gray tee. So simple, yet so very chic!!!
ReplyDelete