Anyway, yesterday's outfit was cooking with gas. What a difference a day makes!
Wednesday, I wore my new Gap "wassal" cardigan and blouse together. A little drab. Since I only wore it for a couple of hours, I wore the cardigan again on Thursday.


See? Cooking with gas.

Details that improved the outfit:
-the bootcut pants were the longer version, which forced me to wear heels, which elongates my leg nicely
-the cream blouse gives the wassal color a richer depth (it's sort of a mauve-y brown)
-Tucking in the blouse raises the eye and again elongates my leg. My hips and belly are more prominent when I tuck, but I think the leg-lengthening balances it out.
-My hair color was done on Wednesday night, and I went a little blonder for spring. No more dark roots at the top of my head!

A goofy angle, but I wanted you to see the detail of the blouse, the lariat necklace, and how the wassal color looks much better now with the other colors working with it.

The top is a Lauren Conrad tee from Kohls from last year. I don't think I've ever worn in a outfit where it worked this well; this is the first time where it really complements the other pieces and doesn't overwhelm them.

Definitely my favorite outfit in a while. I am back!

++++++
On the bad news front, my boss' boss (who is also an ER physician as well as a senior exec) diagnosed me with pneumonia. He's put me on a bunch of good meds, but...I'm pretty wiped out, and I don't have a lot of time to be sick. I'm gonna take my meds today and try to take it easy, and see how I feel tomorrow. For the ball. I don't want to miss it!
Plus, my birthday is Sunday. Being sick on your birthday stinks.
End of the whining session. Off I go!
Seems to me that Grace Slick uttered the cooking with gas phrase on a Jefferson Airplane album and that's where I first heard the phrase. Talk about dating yourself!
ReplyDeleteThe cream top does look much better. Conventional wisdom might have said that the same-toned top would provide a longer line, but that's not what looks good. The cream breaks you into 3 parts - sweater/cream/sweater - and those columns look better.
It's a great end of winter/not yet flowery spring look.
I totally say "now we're cooking with gas". So no, you didn't make it up. I also say "we're loaded for bear!" I'm guessing that, like any other colorful folk expressions worth knowing, I learned these from Stephen King.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday (early!). Feel better Kristin and have fun at the ball. Can't wait to hear all about it!
ReplyDelete"Cooking with gas" is a real expression. It comes from the 1930s-40s, from an advertising campaign to get people to switch from wood stoves to gas stoves (the gas stoves being more "modern"). It's meant to convey that "cooking with gas" is really accelerated and apt to be more productive.
ReplyDeleteI love the revised outfit (and honestly, no one but you sees the hips and belly when you tuck in! I just see how nice and long and lean you look!).
Happy early Birthday, hon! I hope you feel better soon.
ooooh I love that you tackled restyling the cardigan right away! sometimes when I feel blah in something, I end up not wearing it for awhile thinking it's just a boring or unflattering piece. but you TOTALLY reworked it so it looks fabulous! and tucking the blouse was definitely the right option. I always feel a bit self conscious with tucking too, but the end result is totally flattering and lovely. oh, also, the addition of the long darker necklace completes the look!
ReplyDeleteyou are definitely cooking with gas!
Wow, what a difference with that sweater and the lighter-colored top! Much better.
ReplyDeleteSure hope you feel better for the ball - AND your birthday! Rest up, my friend.
Sounds like you're in good hands - take those meds according to 'script & rest up. Hope you're feeling well enough to celebrate your birthday.
ReplyDelete(I agree that the lighter top is the better look of the two.)
Hey Girl! I know I haven't commented in a while, but I have been following. :) So I just wanted to pop in and tell you that you are looking adorable! I love the hair color, and the outfit. Rock it!
ReplyDeleteI hope you are able to make it to the ball, you have put some much work and thought into it, and seemed excited! So sorry to hear you have been sick. :(
You look long and lean and gorgeous! Love the cream top with that cardigan, too.
ReplyDelete