I will be attending my first-ever ball next month, a charity event for my hospital organization. It's a very big deal, held in a downtown hotel and attended by all the execs and even the Cardinal. Apparently true full-length ball gowns are worn. They are not fooling around!
So, of course, I need a dress. Yesterday afternoon I spent a few hours with some girlfriends (waves to Jessie and Kate) trying some on; the pictures didn't come out well, but there was a long cornflower-blue sleeveless empire waist one from Patra at Lord & Taylor (no link available) that was the top option. But I am leery of sleeveless in March, so I wanted to look online too. So far this one is my second favorite, another Patra from Nordstroms. (option 1)
Look at that back! I die.
Kyle over at YLF recommended I look at the Tadashi brand. All I found for larger sizes was this exquisite assymetrical neck chiffon gown at Neiman Marcus (option 2), and the 16 is probably too small anyway. But isn't it so pretty?
-Nordstroms had this Adrianna Papiel (option 3) that is similar to the Patra I tried on. I would go for it in navy. Seeing a theme? Me too -- black is too harsh on me, and navy appears to be the color of the ball gown season!
Dillards had a few options, too, if I want to go safer/conservative/boring:
4. Jkara Beaded Chiffon (the beaded wrap top reminds me of Charlie's Angels, which is trendy again, right? 70s!)
5. KM Collections Beaded Lace Jacket Dress (the eggplant is so pretty, and I could ditch the jacket if it too matronly)
6. Alex Evenings Woman Mesh Gown (This one is closest to the Patra I tried on, and I like the cap sleeves better on this one.)
Some random options from New York Apparel (never heard of 'em):
7. Alex Evening purple column sheath (love the color, love the idea of a matching shawl. But the shape might be too fitted for me.)
8. Alex Evenings 3/4 sleeve criss-cross georgette dress (Zzzzz, boring. The waist is pretty, and I would like to cover my arms, but black is not flattering on me.)
9. Cachet Matte Jersey Dress with Beaded Detail (Also one that looks like the Patra. Hmm.)
I also have some option put aside if I find out the dress code includes shorter cocktail style dresses.
10. Adrianna Papell rosette applique dress. (So, so pretty on. Loved the floral skirt!)
11. Adrianna Papell lace bodice banded dress (Jessie tried this one on, and she was smokin' in it.)
I am going to hit my local mall this week/weekend and see if I can see any of these in the stores, otherwise I think I am going to order #1, 5, 6, and 9, and see what works. Once I settle on a dress, then it will be onto undergarments, bags, and shoes. Whee!
Any suggestions from the peanut gallery? :) Any of these sticking out for you more than others?


The one you have shown in the photo above is the best!
ReplyDeleteToo bad the cocktail length dresses don't come in full length. They are both gorgeous!!
ReplyDeleteI'm really feeling that Tadashi gown. It is beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI like the V-necked styles - and navy will be great on you! How exciting! I would love to go to a ball!
ReplyDeleteI love the style of the rosette applique dress.
ReplyDeleteI like the Patra you showed, and agree that black may be too harsh - that blue color is really good on you. I'm not loving the long clingy/stretchy material body. You'll have to wear one of those god-awful spandex things with it :(
I think you'd have more fun in a dress where the construction of the dress adds shape so you don't have to squish into one of those girdle things!
I'm pretty impressed that most of the offerings are less than $200.
Been to Nordstrom Rack? Maybe they've got something in their winter category around.
At least you know who to come to for shoes & a clutch! Depending on what you pick, I have a gorgeous diamond necklace that could finish off the look, depending on the neckline.
ReplyDeleteAlso, have you looked at the kind of dresses Christina Hendricks (I think that is her name, from Mad Men?) wears to her events? She always looks beautiful and she has an hourglass figure. Just a thought....
I'm sure you will look gorgeous no matter what you choose!
I was just going to second what shopping friend said... find some photos of Christina Hendricks dressed to the nines. She's not tiny and she always looks great. No matter what, have fun shopping!
ReplyDeleteA ball! How exciting!! I love the Cachet dress with beading - the vneck and the beading detail at the upper waist should be very slimming and flattering. My second choice is the Patra from Nordstroms.
ReplyDeleteI just looked at all your options.
ReplyDeleteFIrst, SKIP DILLARDS, they were like dresses from another era. No, no, no.
I loved the assymetrical one, it was my personal favorite. That and the one you posted a picture with that pretty back.
Oh how fun! I am looking forward to see what you pick!!
ReplyDelete