Anyway, that leads me to today's topic: lunch.
I went full-on grocery shopping for the first time in months on Thursday, buying all kinds of basic staples and options for dinner and other meals, filling our cabinets and fridge again after the last few months of Medifast. All we had then were salad fixings, chicken breast, and spaghetti squash. You could have been blinded by the bright light of our fridge, it was so empty. No more.
It felt so good to have some really basic items again in my house: couscous and brown rice, plain yogurt, Special K cereal, clementines, cooked shrimp, skim milk, eggs. Spinach and cucumbers, chicken sausage, bags of cabbage, polenta, mushrooms, carrots, onions and garlic and oh Lord, even potatoes. Potatoes!!
I made sure to get easy items for breakfast: fruit and yogurt, whole-wheat english muffins and Better N Peanut Butter, Special K cereal (cinnamon pecan is my flavor of choice). And despite my laziness the last two nights to make the broccoli-cheese chowder recipe, we have had plenty for impromptu dinners: chicken sausage with sauteed spinach, the last of the spaghetti squash, etc. But I forgot to come up with lunch ideas!
Luckily, I do have my Mr. Bento posts from this summer for some ideas, but those are mostly summer foods. I am craving the heartier stuff, like sandwiches and soups and carbs, but that's not what I have in my fridge. I have all the snacks and "side dishes" (fruits, yogurt, almonds, cucumbers, etc) but I can't think of many good main lunch dishes.
Here are some ideas I'm considering:
-shrimp salad, mixed with chopped celery and onion, some cocktail sauce and mayo, on a bed of spinach. Add slice of seeded bread, mixed fruit salad, plain almonds, and clementines for rest of lunch and snacks throughout the day.
-Saute the shrimp in Old Bay for dinner the night before, then mix with couscous and chopped veggies for leftover lunch.
-hard-boil the eggs for egg salad (need pita or bread or red pepper half to eat it in)
-buy roast-beef wrap at delicious local deli and add tomato soup
But that's it. Everything else involves buying other things. Can you guys think of other ways I can "remix" my foods to fill up my Bento? What do you bring for lunch -- maybe I need better grocery shopping ideas!

(From this summer.) Salad from the Whole Foods cold bar! That's a good idea...
What do you eat for lunch?
I am so boring. I eat a turkey sandwich for lunch every day. I like it with spinach and a few grates of a nutty cheese like Gruyere or a swipe of humus. I put it on those "deli thin" rolls.
ReplyDeleteI advise counting those nuts out carefully. They are healthful but quite dense.
My lunches are pretty boring too but I'm usually really hungry by lunchtime so anything is welcome. My lunch is a sandwich (2 slices cheese and 2 slices turkey) on a deli thin. No mayo. I add lettuce if I have it. I also eat a non-fat yogurt and an apple or pear. Your lunch looks wonderful.
ReplyDeletemaybe create some sorta of quesadilla or taco with the shrimp if you can add a tortilla wrap + a little bit of nonfat cheese. beef it up with all the yummy veggies.
ReplyDeleteI am the worlds most boring lunch bringer to worker ever. Salad with protein a lot in the summer. Soup a lot in the winter. A sandwich thrown in here or there. Or leftovers. You should make my Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf, it's good leftover for lunch!
ReplyDeleteHey I found your blog over on YLF. I really enjoy your blog.
ReplyDeleteYou could make a fritatta with the potatoes sliced thin, mushrooms & spinach sauteed, even add onions and garlic plus some low fat cheese. Then serve it with a small side salad or some soup.
I can relate! I struggle with eating healthy lunch because I am snobbing about the taste and texture of using leftovers. I also recently started a vegetarian (ok, Pescatarian, really, but I hate trendy words) diet.
ReplyDeleteI tend to stick to salads, and variations off, and mix it up with various snacks. Today I had a whole wheat bagel thin, toasted, with peanut butter and apple butter for breakfast. For lunch I had a salad of fresh spinach, chopped carrot and green pepper. Then I heat a cup of vegetarian chili (with a string cheese stick broken up on top), and then poured that over the spinach. Sounds wierd, but it was yum! I also had another cheese stick, and some almonds on the side.
I look forward to continuing to follow your diet and exercise adventures, just as I am also tackling my own!! We got this, girl!!
One of my favorite dishes is shredded cabbage braised with Polish sausage and garlic until the cabbage is soft and silky. I'm sure that would work with chicken sausage as well. Some cayenne and black pepper are nice touches.
ReplyDelete- Annie
That shrimp salad sounds awesome! I'm going to start regularly posting my bentos again - I know I'd been slacking for awhile.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, my biggest problem is figuring out how to incorporate more protein, because a lot of days I start to feel hungry again way before dinner.
Everyday I bring two things to work that help ward off hunger, a full- full to the brim overstuffed - zip-lock bag of some crisp vegetable and one of fruit. Usually, because I’m lazy, I fill a zip lock bag with carrots, and another with a low sugar fruit like a cut-up apple (- sometimes 2 apples). If you get most of the air out of the zip-lock the fruit does not turn brown. And because I don’t think ahead, and I’m a zombie in the morning, it’s usually carrots and apples everyday. These two items have been a lifesaver because my Teachers Room is always packed to the brim with sweets. Lunch is the same, a cup of Greek yogurt and some lettuce that I take out of the bag and put in a Tupperware.
ReplyDelete~Gail
Like Kendra, I put my vegetarian chili over romaine or steamed vegetables...I also do spaghetti sauce like this...Wendy's chili over a salad...It is yummy and Lo cal...
ReplyDeleteYour bento is packed beautifully !
ReplyDeleteDOnt you just wish they would pack themselves?
I like to have soup for lunch, and a roll. Preferably something vegetarian with beans for protein and fiber. I am way too lazy to pack a lunch, so I usually go to a cafe and get either a salad (with no dressing or a vinaigrette and just dip in my fork before every bite) or a bowl of soup and a small roll.
ReplyDelete