Anyway, I had some meetings on Thursday where I needed to convince two different sets of users that my suggestion for the problem they were trying to solve was the best solution, and that they need to unclench and trust me to do my job. Clearly, this required a killer outfit. I had two options:


The base was my Ann Taylor Factory dress (with pockets), a double pair of black tights, my black patent Franco Sarto Deer heeled oxfords, and my Christmas pearls from Hubby in a long double-knot. The question was if I should go with:
-the Triva embellished tweed jacket for the super-dressy, professional look
-the LOFT purple boyfriend cardigan, for the still-dressy but less formal and intimidating look
What would you have done, dear readers?
I brought both into the office, but in the end I went with the purple sweater. The jacket felt a little like overkill; I knew my solutions were the best ones for my users, and by the end they would be eating a little crow. In situations like that, I find it's easier to come into the room and disarm them rather than put them on red alert, which gives me time to win them over with just talking. As I said to my co-worker, I would rather crush you with my brain than my strict adherence to the dress code.

I won the discussion, by the way. Both times.
Bravo!
ReplyDeleteYou're too funny. :D
ReplyDeleteBoth are very good looking. The power monger in me would have chosen the jacket, though :-)
ReplyDeleteWell done, Kristen - both in crushing them with your brain and your style. :)
ReplyDeleteI would have had to go with the jacket since I'm probably not as smart as you.
ReplyDeleteI would've gone with the jacket to look more like an authority, but I do like your idea of disarming with the sweater. Both outfits looked good!
ReplyDeleteI love your choice but the stance-pigeontoed- doesn't say in charge.
ReplyDeleteI adore the berry cardigan so I would have chosen that look - and congrats on winning them over, btw! :)
ReplyDeleteGlad it went well!
ReplyDeleteI would have picked the jacket but I think the sweater is more flattering because of where it falls on your leg.
In the end if you know what you're talking about and have the best idea that's what makes the difference.
I LOVETH the berry cardigan!!!! You look fantastic :)
ReplyDeleteColour was my first choice too! You have the brains AND you have the killer look!
ReplyDelete